Driving a nicer car than your boss....

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Driving a nicer car than your boss....

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

2R wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:11 pm What happens when the woke mobs realize Porsche and Volkswagen used slave labour in their factories ?
Considering they (VW) posted record profits in the years post dieselgate, no one cares. NIMBY then IDGAF.
---------- ADS -----------

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I saw two posts that mentioned the time 0-60.
Why is that important?

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Sigh... because the only reason for having these types of road cars is to talk about them. You know how most women's eyes glaze over when you mention that you are a pilot? Well, that doesn't happen with owning a Porsche.

The vast majority of owners however, are not interested in doing with them what the manufacturer intended, which was to go fast on a track - and the GT3 can do a very respectable lap time in the right hands! A Porsche is one of a very few road cars that might actually be a decent investment. As we know, most road cars are a badly depreciating asset, and a good way to the poorhouse. However, I also know someone who spent about $50,000 on a new engine for a 911 not that long ago, and he did not track it very often. That will cut into your profit down the road, as it were.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

porcsord wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:09 pm Cheapest 911 GT3 I could find in the country was $149,900.

Why settle for a GT3 with that budget?

I mean other contenders in the 140-170k range:

Ferrari California
Audi R8
Aston Martin Vantage
Rolls Royce Wraith
Lamborghini Gallardo
McLaren MP4-12C
Ferrari Tesstarossa (The correct choice)
McLaren 570
Aston Martin DBS
I'd rather the GT3 than all these cars.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

trey kule wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:25 pm I saw two posts that mentioned the time 0-60.
Why is that important?
Because honestly, that’s the only way you can take driver skill out of the equation. You could be Mario Andretti but your Corolla will still lose to a Mustang at a stop light on a straight stretch.

I still love driving twisting mountain roads and using local knowledge, energy management, and the absolute limits of lateral performance to embarrass much faster cars.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

ayseven wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:19 am Sigh... because the only reason for having these types of road cars is to talk about them. You know how most women's eyes glaze over when you mention that you are a pilot? Well, that doesn't happen with owning a Porsche.
Oh yes it does.

The only reason she is there is because of :dollar:

Being a pilot used to work, but now word is that pilots aren’t all rich.

Owning a Porsche used to work, too.. but turns out anyone can buy a 20 year old Boxster (because it still looks like a Porsche.. not a VW Scirocco or Corrado or Dodge Daytona :lol: like the 924, 944, and 928 do) that will require you choose between taking that girl on a nice sun vacation or fixing that intermediate shaft bearing.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, In the End Signifying Nothing.

You want the car buy it. It makes no sense to me having a vehicle that costs the significant portion of a house. Or the residual costs (insurance, maintenance, gas, storage) are high. Or one that can do 280km/h, as there is no place in Canada outside of the track where you could use its full potential.

My thoughts are "my money is better spent feeding, clothing, educating my kids". I can only assume you have no domestic responsibilities or have more dollars than cents(sense).

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

iflyforpie wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:56 am choose between taking that girl on a nice sun vacation or fixing that intermediate shaft bearing.
Hey now, if I ever have money again everyone else’s fear of the IMS bearing is going to be what gets me into a nice 996...

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

dialdriver wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:51 pm Get a boat.
Think he already has one, is using it to troll right thru this forum, and the fish are apparently biting....

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

trey kule wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:25 pm I saw two posts that mentioned the time 0-60.
Why is that important?
Because the rush of accelerating very fast is awesome, personally I drive a sport bike for that rush and performance at a fraction of the cost.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

I don't think it should matter what you choose to buy nor should it matter what others think of it. I bought an exotic last fall because like you, I'm a car guy. I didn't think twice about what others thought, even though most dig it. I've taken it to work a few times but typically save driving it for summer time only, and on GDO's. My old Toyota is my main commuter otherwise.

If you want to buy a Porsche or whatever, go for it. This should be the last place to inquire about such a thing, even though I get where you're coming from :smt040

Chips&Pops
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chips&Pops »

fishface wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:41 pm Weird flex but ok
:lol:

Just giver bud

Return to “Employment Forum”