Driving a nicer car than your boss....

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

L1900Edge
Rank 1
Rank 1

Driving a nicer car than your boss....

Post by L1900Edge »

HR question for y'all....

Recently I've been in the market for a new car. (well, used...but new to me)
I have my sights set on the Porche 911 GT3.
Cars have always been my hobby and passion, and I have an admiration for the sports/exotic type, so no, my goal isnt to outshine my superiors if that's what you're thinking..
The company I work for is a medium sized corporate operator, and the management/CP/CEO offices overlook the main parking lot, so they basically see everything and everyone that comes in and out.

Most of them drive average family sedans, SUVs etc. (Nothing too fancy)

I wanna know if a company would frown upon something like this,
and if there is some kind of unwritten rule to stay on the same playing field as everyone else. Has anyone had any experience with this in the past?

Cheers...
---------- ADS -----------

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Driving a nicer car than your boss....

Post by fishface »

Weird flex but ok

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

People will always talk. Just buy the car.

Try buying an old clapped out airplane if you really want people to think you're a millionaire :rolleyes:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

If you're going to buy it, best learn how to spell Porsche first. :mrgreen:

Will fix airplanes for food.
porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Cheapest 911 GT3 I could find in the country was $149,900.

Why settle for a GT3 with that budget?

I mean other contenders in the 140-170k range:

Ferrari California
Audi R8
Aston Martin Vantage
Rolls Royce Wraith
Lamborghini Gallardo
McLaren MP4-12C
Ferrari Tesstarossa (The correct choice)
McLaren 570
Aston Martin DBS

If you go to the High End of the spectrum ~250K

Lamborghini Huracan
Aston Martin DB11
Ferrari 458
Mercedes AMG GT R
Ferrari 599
McLaren 650

Why not get a 2020 Vette? they are gorgeous, and will save you like 50% from buying a used GT3. And that's the top of the line. As for what management will think? Same thing I think when I see someone driving a car worth more than a house: Must have a tiny penis.

PS

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

That's going to be your daily driver that you take to work?

Anyway, you're making the assumptions that they:
A) give a sh!t about that sort of thing,
B) recognize that it's an expensive car, and
C) the car you drive is a metric of success in life.

Why should they care what you spend your money on? Why should you care what they think about what you spend your money on? Maybe you're a really responsible saver. Maybe your boss has 4 of those in his garage at home that you don't know about. Maybe you inherited a pile of money. Maybe his house is way bigger than yours. Maybe you have a side hustle that pays off. Maybe he's a muscle car guy and thinks Porsches are for p*ssies. Maybe you're terribly irresponsible with money and you're burying yourself in ill-advised debt. Maybe he has a 911 GT3 sized investment in a business or stock that's set to pay major dividends. Maybe everyone needs a hobby and you're just an enthusiast finally pulling the trigger on a dream. At the end of the day, why do you care? That's your personal business and so long as it doesn't affect your work performance, it should be none of their concern. It's not what I'd do with an extra 6 figures (and unless you're independently wealthy, it's probably terribly irresponsible given the current economy) but that's just me. If you can justify it and you want it, buy it. I believe the kids these days call it, "YOLO." Don't look to the internet for affirmation, it's weird. It makes it seem like you're trying to flex while claiming that you don't want to seem like you're flexing.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Magst du das Porsche? Kaufst das Porsche!

Ich auch liebe der 911 GT3.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Funny that Porsche drivers usually seem to care what other people think - and I know a lot of them. That kind of explains the whole attraction to the marque to me. Buy the car if you like it, but please take it to the track and don't be an idiot on the public roads. The Vette is a way better deal performance/cost, but if it doesn't float your boat, then pointless.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Benz E63S AMG. Get the wagon and he'll think you're practical.

Less than $150K new and still does a 3 second 0-60 while carrying the groceries.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

altiplano wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:36 am Benz E63S AMG. Get the wagon and he'll think you're practical.

Less than $150K new and still does a 3 second 0-60 while carrying the groceries.
Awesome choice. That and the M5 are a couple of my favourites. I love understated exteriors combined with insane performance.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Honestly, it’s your money.

A car isn’t really a sign of wealth or status. You can get one a couple years old for much cheaper than new and finance just about anything forever on good credit and any sort of income.

Like others said, usually the people who care about the cars are the owners themselves.

And since cars are probably one of the worst investments you can possibly make, you tend to see people drive cheaper and more conservative vehicles even if they are very wealthy.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Richest guy I know - not a pilot - drives a Toyota minivan with keyed doors, an interior trashed by his kids, and 300K on it. He doesn't care... drive it to death.

Most of the people driving balling Audis and BMWs leased them...

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

altiplano wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 am Richest guy I know - not a pilot - drives a Toyota minivan with keyed doors, an interior trashed by his kids, and 300K on it. He doesn't care... drive it to death.

Most of the people driving balling Audis and BMWs leased them...
I have a 20 year old Pontiac Montana. 250K, not much left of the rocker panels, and the dashboard looks like a Christmas tree. Most people just think it’s a crew van. Huge upgrade from the 400-500k Volvos I bashed around for years. Still waiting for it to die and it absolutely refuses to.

I keep eyeing up something “exotic” like a 5 year old V6 Camry but simply can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Maybe they know and care very little about cars. Might only take a quick glance, think it’s a VW bug and be proud of you for being comfortable with your sexuality.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Get a Tesla P100D, blow the doors off nearly everything, have access to the HOV when you're commuting, and after an extended duty day, the thing practically drives itself home.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Some people will buy a wakeboard boat, some will go on 10k vacations every year, for you it’s a car that you really want. A GT3 might be one of those cars that actually hold their value for a very long time so the investment might work out well, just don’t show up in the car in the morning and ask the boss for a raise in the afternoon.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

The vast majority of the people working below me drive nicer cars than I do. Same was true when I was in the RCAF, where techs who made 50% of what pilots do often had nicer cars, either purchased or built/restored themselves.

To each their own. If it’s a hobby/passion then go for it. I’m content with a 15yr old Accord that has been flawless and would be miserable paying the maintenance on a 911 or any other high performance car. I’m very happy throwing that same money at a sailboat that I may only use 12 weeks a year though. Some would find that ridiculous.

I honestly don’t think anyone would really care. The only people I slightly envied were the guys who built and restored their own cars, but that was more to do with their skills and less with the vehicles themselves.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Get a boat.

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

Why not!

Actually if you want to blend in on the parking lot and sell your wife on "utility" get an BMW X3 M. Bunch of power and does 0-60 in 3.3.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

What happens when the woke mobs realize Porsche and Volkswagen used slave labour in their factories ?

Return to “Employment Forum”