BETTER HURRY!! THEM PPCs BE EXPIRING!!

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: BETTER HURRY!! THEM PPCs BE EXPIRING!!

Post by porcsord »

+1

Exactly what was written above.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I don 't qualify because my back would give out on me if I had to lift 75 pounds to chest high over and over again to load that ugly bastard of an aeroplane.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Everybody whining about being overqualified; who's going to hire a laid off pilot that's going right back to their spot when they get the call back and have to re hire again? Better off giving someone else the shot and mold the way you want them, not a disgruntled airline pilot.

I guess I should write something here.
planebored
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by planebored »

"mold therm"....

Or you can take an experienced laid off pilot who is willing to stay for two years and have two years of no headaches.

If I was a CP I know what I'd prefer.

And it's not a green pilot with no experience that needs to be monitored all the time.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Sure, but what's your bias ? Are you one of those laid-off airline guys desperately looking for a seat anywhere? As always, it comes down to the candidate...but then an employer needs to have some basis for winnowing the pile of resumes.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

planebored wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:10 am "mold therm"....

Or you can take an experienced laid off pilot who is willing to stay for two years and have two years of no headaches.

And it's not a green pilot with no experience that needs to be monitored all the time.
That's only going to be true if there are no recalls within the next 2 years, otherwise he won't stay for 2 years.

A new guy, on the other hand, will most likely have to stick around for 4-5 years, because there won't be any other jobs available.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
planebored
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by planebored »

They can always defer. Keep their seniority and come back to an airline job where they aren't bottom reserve.

Defer a bit longer and you could possibly come back to a CA position.

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

Maynard wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 am Better off giving someone else the shot and mold the way you want them, not a disgruntled airline pilot.
I find sometimes operators use this type of language to mask taking advantage of less experienced pilots. Less experienced not only in terms of flying hours but also in what is and isn’t acceptable in an operation. Things like being pressured to push bad weather or always operating on max crew days with min rest in inadequate rest facilities. A more experienced pilot may not be willing to tolerate that behaviour to just fly to build hours and fulfill the new pilot dream.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

Freeport_Flyer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:54 pm A more experienced pilot may not be willing to tolerate that behaviour to just fly to build hours and fulfill the new pilot dream.
Then said pilot will likely find themselves on EI or working outside of aviation until things pick up. As someone who has worked for a couple of these type of operators I don't like it anymore than you do BUT it's an employers market. The younger more inexperienced pilot will get the job as they will stick around and do what they are told safe or not. For those of us who have moved onto unionized and for the most part civilized operations rest assured most 703 bush companies see us as "boat rockers" unwilling to maintain the status quo.

viccoastdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by viccoastdog »

Topic creep happening: They're looking for min 1500TT with SPIFR experience. While this doesn't suggest a massively experienced pilot, it's not a green pilot either.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Hey I have a PPC!

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

2112 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:47 pm
Freeport_Flyer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:54 pm A more experienced pilot may not be willing to tolerate that behaviour to just fly to build hours and fulfill the new pilot dream.
Then said pilot will likely find themselves on EI or working outside of aviation until things pick up. As someone who has worked for a couple of these type of operators I don't like it anymore than you do BUT it's an employers market. The younger more inexperienced pilot will get the job as they will stick around and do what they are told safe or not. For those of us who have moved onto unionized and for the most part civilized operations rest assured most 703 bush companies see us as "boat rockers" unwilling to maintain the status quo.
If it's that bad, do you really want the job anyway? If the operator wants to push the limits, they can accept that risk and find someone else to fly the plane. Single engine, single pilot IFR in a northern winter with a plane with that sort of reputation for icing. I'd be cancelling a lot of trips due to weather. Both myself and the operator won't be particularly happy, so I'll save the headache and not apply. They can hire someone with a higher risk tolerance.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Freeport_Flyer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:54 pm
Maynard wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 am Better off giving someone else the shot and mold the way you want them, not a disgruntled airline pilot.
I find sometimes operators use this type of language to mask taking advantage of less experienced pilots. Less experienced not only in terms of flying hours but also in what is and isn’t acceptable in an operation. Things like being pressured to push bad weather or always operating on max crew days with min rest in inadequate rest facilities. A more experienced pilot may not be willing to tolerate that behaviour to just fly to build hours and fulfill the new pilot dream.
That was not my intention with my post. Yes there are operators out there who would mold new pilots to be 'givers. We hire low time pilots and mold them to our expectations. They have no bad habits, they're generally pretty sharp and not jaded by the industry. They know what is expected of them. If the weather is fine and within limits, no excuse not to complete the flight. If they get caught flying in weather they shouldn't be, or operating the airplane recklessly, then they get to have a sit down with us. They all know they'll never get in trouble for cancelling a flight. The weather always gets better.

I guess I should write something here.
doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

If you were a 705 CA recently....you basically were SPIFR. :)
viccoastdog wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:13 pm

Topic creep happening: They're looking for min 1500TT with SPIFR experience. While this doesn't suggest a massively experienced pilot, it's not a green pilot either.

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

Maynard wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:48 am
Freeport_Flyer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:54 pm
That was not my intention with my post. Yes there are operators out there who would mold new pilots to be 'givers. We hire low time pilots and mold them to our expectations. They have no bad habits, they're generally pretty sharp and not jaded by the industry. They know what is expected of them. If the weather is fine and within limits, no excuse not to complete the flight. If they get caught flying in weather they shouldn't be, or operating the airplane recklessly, then they get to have a sit down with us. They all know they'll never get in trouble for cancelling a flight. The weather always gets better.
Maynard,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to respond and share your thoughts on operations. It’s nice to hear that you are looking to develop thinking pilots and not just Nike pilots, who “just do it”.

Return to “Employment Forum”