Is Navajo an entry job?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dALre
Rank 1
Rank 1

Is Navajo an entry job?

Post by dALre »

Hi there! I'm just looking for what kind of positions are available for low time pilot and got curious about something.

Like the title says, is Piper Navajo a low time pilot job?

I have MIFR and about to get my IATRA.
The operation is limited only to day VFR and it's a serveillance flight.

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Is Navajo an entry job?

Post by C-GGGQ »

Don’t need an iatra for the Navajo. Depends on whether its single pilot or two crew whether its “entry level” right seat? Definitely entry level. Left seat alone? Can be (its not a terribly difficult plane) but the requirements are likely much higher.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

Thats a market demand question. When I was looking for my first flying job, Navajo left seat was most decidedly not an entry level position ( 5000hrs TT was the requirement at most companies). 2 year ago 1000-600 hours would get you the same seat. Nowadays who knows.
If you're asking can a newly minted commercial pilot safely handle a Navajo, ya sure with proper training, company over-site, a willingness to learn and understanding that all a Commercial license means is that the real flying education is about to start, then ya you can fly a Navajo they aren't some mysterious beast looking to kill you at the first opportunity, in fact they are quite forgiving.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Two years ago, almost nobody was bothering to apply for a Navajo job.

It was right seat in the Q, or if you had to right seat in a 1900 or a King Air with a one or two year upgrade.

This year? I seriously doubt any entry level pilots are getting a Navajo job right out of the gate. You’re working ramp, or you are building up that single engine PIC before being promoted to Navajo FO.

Back in the old days nobody flew a Navajo without at least 1000 hours.

But times have changed in other ways too. There aren’t many Navajos left. They aren’t as plentiful or economical. Avgas is harder and harder to come by in the north. Older Caravans while more expensive to buy are far more cost effective to run and easier to fly.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

No, I would not consider a Pa31 an entry level job unless its right seat. It's a lot of aeroplane, and it can get you into a lot of trouble very quickly. Day VFR survey is easier than hardball IFR, but it comes with its own challenges. Flying lines is very precise work, and contracts are bid very competitively without a lot of room for training flights and mistakes.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

I loved the Chieftain, funniest plane I flew with 737-200

Return to “Employment Forum”