Road trip!

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

wing'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Road trip!

Post by wing'd »

:bear:
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by wing'd on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Road trip!

Post by yhz41 »

wing'd wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:58 pm
Can’t really afford to become a Pfi ( nor really the envy to, don’t want to be another instructor cheating his students into giving him more hours
You sound fun :roll:

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Realistically it would normally be late in the season for a road trip, but things are starting to swing up from covid. I see the 703’s getting gutted by the regionals by at least spring if not sooner. Where are you currently located?

wing'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wing'd »

:bear:

Last edited by wing'd on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
wing'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wing'd »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:57 pm Realistically it would normally be late in the season for a road trip, but things are starting to swing up from covid. I see the 703’s getting gutted by the regionals by at least spring if not sooner. Where are you currently located?
Cornwall

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

wing'd wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:07 pm
C-GGGQ wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:57 pm Realistically it would normally be late in the season for a road trip, but things are starting to swing up from covid. I see the 703’s getting gutted by the regionals by at least spring if not sooner. Where are you currently located?
Cornwall
Ah.. yeah road trip maybe? But moving definitely. I’d probably start with Carpet bombing anyone with a navajo or King Air etc with a resume and just be ready to pick up and move at a moments notice.

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

Have you considered pilot in waiting for summit? Dispatch one not ramp. You can learn a lot about IFR rules, Cars, etc . You can make survival money and have direct contact with pilots (can get some jump seat rides, etc). Eventually you’ll fly the Dornier or ATR.
If you don’t mind ramp (which is terrible) you can look at North Star, Perimeter, etc.
Good luck!

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

There’s an add up on pcc for New pilots for certain Yxl operator.

JoeShmoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JoeShmoe »

Haha, good ol avcanada. Person asks a simple question,
First response: YOU SOUND NICE.
Second response: HAVE YOU TRIED SENDING OUT RESUMES?
Third response: DID YOU KNOW THEY PUT JOB ADS ONLINE NOW???

Let me see if I can be slightly more helpful. I did my road trip exactly 10 years ago, so I can’t say how exactly covid has affected you chances, but I can say it will definitely be helpful and better then just sitting at home if you have the chance to do the drive. When I did the drive I stopped at all the airports in northwestern Ontario and Winnipeg area, and what I think might apply to your situation is that I never got offered a job on the spot, but two months later when one of those companies had an opening my resume was at the top of their pile. I’d imagine no one is hiring, but with airlines starting to call people back they should be hiring soon, and I think your goal should be to be one of those first hires.

I’d say call ahead as much as you can, offer to stay for an afternoon and help out, and you will make a great impression. Try as hard as possible to not ask people what they would like you to do, but just take initiative, even just pick up a broom and sweep a floor. It my look funny but the chief pilot would remember that. A big problem they have up North is people leaving because they hate being up North, so mention you love camping, bring a fishing pole and ask about fishing spots.

There are a ton of other posts about road trips that have excellent suggestions, I’d read through them, and start making a list of all the companies at different airports you will be stopping at.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

My opinion differs. Road trips inoy work for those summer dock jobs for float operators etc. Everywhere else these days takes resumes via email and even asks “no phone calls” that yxl operator is hiring, i’m sure perimeter is hiring and Fast Air is hiring constantly these days (expansion)

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

Honestly unless you want to do the road trip anyways for fun, I think you'll have better luck with calls and emails, or responding to job ads. A grand doesn't go very far.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

During a past life. The guys who made the roadtrip went to the top of the pile.

wing'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wing'd »

rigpiggy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:55 pm During a past life. The guys who made the roadtrip went to the top of the pile.
Do you believe that it would still workout this way for new and up comers such as myself?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

If you’re aiming for Dock hand/ swamper at a float camp? Yes. Most of the year round IFR operators? I’m doubtful.

I WAS Pez
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I WAS Pez »

While it really is late in the season, I'll echo what most others have said about road trips. Unless an operator specifically says no phone calls or visits - you'll often find a CP or Ops Manager if you show up, wait around, maybe come back. And most will talk to the guys that show up. Make a good impression, leave your CV, follow up in a while.

As for folks actively hiring right now - at 230 hrs, you likely won't stand out from the hundreds of emailed CVs - showing up (unless they've asked folks not to) may be a different story, if you make the right impression.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I won't say where I am right now, but it is the end of the road. The Kid at the FBO/Fueller is looking at finishing his license. He asked me my thoughts, I went over and had a coffee/bs session with an old crony(CP), and the kid(30 is a kid to me). Response "finish your license, send in your resume, tell them you work in BFN, and have talked with me" end result is he has a job when he gets his license. My last 4 jobs have been due to buddies being asked if they knew anyone, and recommended me. I know one CP where the real interview happened out at the smoke pole, or the bar afterwards "could I stand this guy on a 4 day pairing"

Bon Chance

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

rigpiggy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:52 am I won't say where I am right now, but it is the end of the road. The Kid at the FBO/Fueller is looking at finishing his license. He asked me my thoughts, I went over and had a coffee/bs session with an old crony(CP), and the kid(30 is a kid to me). Response "finish your license, send in your resume, tell them you work in BFN, and have talked with me" end result is he has a job when he gets his license. My last 4 jobs have been due to buddies being asked if they knew anyone, and recommended me. I know one CP where the real interview happened out at the smoke pole, or the bar afterwards "could I stand this guy on a 4 day pairing"

Bon Chance
Yep. Exactly. Do the road trip show your face. Carpet bombing resumes to every operator with the aircraft type you’re looking for just gets you in the pile below all the folks that have shown their face. Just be respectful and call first. “I’m going to be in the area and would like to introduce myself in person and leave a resume. is there a good time/day? Or should I just swing by anytime?”

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I got my first job this time of year with a road trip, though this was years ago. I say it's not a bad idea. Hit up operators that aren't involved in seasonal flying like charter companies, pipeline patrol, etc.

Return to “Employment Forum”