Decisions Decisions Decisions

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TheBenefactor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Decisions Decisions Decisions

Post by TheBenefactor »

Hey all,

Hope everyone is staying safe during these difficult times. It’s been a tough while due to Covid as we all have experienced and have seen a drastic setback in the industry. I am a recent grad from post secondary and graduating at a time like this has definitely been extremely difficult with landing a entry level pilot job. I am currently finishing up my instructor rating (AIRAF completed, just waiting for flight test booking), but am also offered a pilot in waiting ramp position with a regional airline.

Now, due to covid the waiting times to move on to flight line have drastically been changed and longer but since everything is picking back up slowly how long will it approximately take until someone were to move onto flight line from a ground position, and if it were still too long, would it be better to go the instructing route for a couple years and then apply as a first officer at a regional airline?

I would greatly appreciate any input,

Thanks again for your time.
---------- ADS -----------

Xander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Decisions Decisions Decisions

Post by Xander »

One job lets you log real flight hours.

The other one doesn’t.

Food for thought.

The trouble with my life is that I do not think I am cut out to sit behind a desk.
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Don’t instruct if you don’t enjoy instructing. That’s not to say a passion for teaching needs to be the central pillar of your personality and a job you’d keep forever, just that your students deserve better than someone who has to force themselves to be there. On the other hand, if you enjoy fostering growth and seeing someone’s skills develop through your guidance then go for it.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If you put all that money into the instructor rating you have to at least get the license. Even if you decide to go "throw" (charlie uniform charlie kilo) bags you'll still have it in your back pocket if things change.

TheBenefactor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheBenefactor »

co-joe wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:44 am If you put all that money into the instructor rating you have to at least get the license. Even if you decide to go "throw" (charlie uniform charlie kilo) bags you'll still have it in your back pocket if things change.
yeah i’m definitely finishing it before going anywhere

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

co-joe wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:44 am If you put all that money into the instructor rating you have to at least get the license. Even if you decide to go "throw" (charlie uniform charlie kilo) bags you'll still have it in your back pocket if things change.
What does it mean to CUCK a bag? This sounds like something rude!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

NotDirty! wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:05 pm
What does it mean to CUCK a bag? This sounds like something rude!
Apparently I suck at writing the phonetic alphabet. lol There's a word on Avcanada that is censored. Charlie Hotel Uniform Charlie Kilo. Too much sleeping in my car, I forgot the Hotel again. Not sure why his name is banned, he makes up about 5% of the total posts here...

Return to “Employment Forum”