How to get a pilot job as a newcomer in Calgary?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

matrixboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to get a pilot job as a newcomer in Calgary?

Post by matrixboy »

Hi everyone,

I am a newcomer to Canada, currently residing in Calgary AB. I have been flying for more than 10 years. Due to Covid, I lost my job and decided to finally settle down in Canada and I have not been since then. But it was not all bad, during that time of unemployment, I have successfully got a TC ATPL, and now all I'd hope for is a chance to go back to the sky.

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone can share their experience on how to get their first pilot job.

And I have a few questions that I hope someone will answer as follows:

- Where do people normally look for job postings? I currently watching Avcanada and Pilotcareercenter.
- Do people normally need networking to find aviation jobs? How helpful are job's references from other countries (since I don't have any in Canada to include in my CV)?
- How do employers in Canada consider an experienced pilot from another country like me?
- When do you think a chance will open to people like me? Cus I understand that many of Canadian pilots whom has been laid off due to Covid are also waiting and will likely get offers before me.

Thank you for any input.
Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by matrixboy on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
scabbydoo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How to get a pilot job as a newcomer in Calgary?

Post by scabbydoo »

The unfortunate hard truth is that the pandemic has ravaged the aviation industry worldwide and Canada is no exception.

For now, major airlines are out of the question. All major carriers have hundreds of furloughs, all of whom will need to be recalled before any hiring resumes. For AC, hiring likely won't resume until 2023-2024, as only the most recent bid has shown vacancies, for which a training date for those vacancies is likely a year from now. As for Transat, they also have quite a few pilots awaiting recall, and my buddies there have said they're limiting there growth as they emerge from the pandemic for now.

The good news is the regional and domestic markets are making a strong recovery (Jazz has recalled everyone and there are rumours of hiring resuming Spring of 2022.) WestJet has recalled a significant number of furloughs in the most recent bid. With all of of that said, there are prospects here. corporate operators (although they're generally looking for current types and previous corporate experience). Another possibility is Cargojet out of Hamilton, ON, although I could never in good conscience recommend that anyone take a job there now, given their incredibly unscrupulous business practices (they recently fired 23 furloughed AC pilots for without cause as one example).

There is the very occasional job posting from small 703/704 operators, and that might be your best bet for now, however they tend to be looking for more low-timers who will stick around for a while. At least no operator in Canada will ever ask you to pay for your own training.

As far as references go, internal references do go a long way here for operators big and small. In your case, I'd recommend reaching out to previous direct supervisors (CPs, DFOs, etc.)

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted to hear. I want to believe we're on the back 9 of all of this, but one thing is certain; we'll all be flying again someday.

Take care dude, best of luck.

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

“ I don’t mind starting small with a private jet”. I would suggest you don’t use that line in an interview.

scabbydoo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by scabbydoo »

Liftdump wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:31 pm “ I don’t mind starting small with a private jet”. I would suggest you don’t use that line in an interview.
If you're lucky enough to get that far these days.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Do you have the right to work in Canada?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

Don't worry. With your resume, Air Canada will call you this week for 787 Captain position. I mean, its not the best plane, but its a start.

matrixboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by matrixboy »

scabbydoo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am The unfortunate hard truth is that the pandemic has ravaged the aviation industry worldwide and Canada is no exception.

For now, major airlines are out of the question. All major carriers have hundreds of furloughs, all of whom will need to be recalled before any hiring resumes. For AC, hiring likely won't resume until 2023-2024, as only the most recent bid has shown vacancies, for which a training date for those vacancies is likely a year from now. As for Transat, they also have quite a few pilots awaiting recall, and my buddies there have said they're limiting there growth as they emerge from the pandemic for now.

The good news is the regional and domestic markets are making a strong recovery (Jazz has recalled everyone and there are rumours of hiring resuming Spring of 2022.) WestJet has recalled a significant number of furloughs in the most recent bid. With all of of that said, there are prospects here. corporate operators (although they're generally looking for current types and previous corporate experience). Another possibility is Cargojet out of Hamilton, ON, although I could never in good conscience recommend that anyone take a job there now, given their incredibly unscrupulous business practices (they recently fired 23 furloughed AC pilots for without cause as one example).

There is the very occasional job posting from small 703/704 operators, and that might be your best bet for now, however they tend to be looking for more low-timers who will stick around for a while. At least no operator in Canada will ever ask you to pay for your own training.

As far as references go, internal references do go a long way here for operators big and small. In your case, I'd recommend reaching out to previous direct supervisors (CPs, DFOs, etc.)

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted to hear. I want to believe we're on the back 9 of all of this, but one thing is certain; we'll all be flying again someday.

Take care dude, best of luck.
Thank you for your kind answer. I will try to reach out more and hope that some good news will come up some day, not only for me but for all of us.

matrixboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by matrixboy »

digits_ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:43 pm Do you have the right to work in Canada?
Yes. I do.

matrixboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by matrixboy »

Liftdump wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:31 pm “ I don’t mind starting small with a private jet”. I would suggest you don’t use that line in an interview.
Your suggestion is noted. Even though, I don't mean to tell it to any interviewer and I hope i did not offend anyone. That statement is simply to provide info so that kind folks can give me the best advices. I myself hold respect to any legitimate jobs, and anyone at any position who works hard to put food on the table, not only in aviation. I too only hold a simple hope to get back to the sky some day.

Anyhow, thank you for your kind advice. Hope luck comes to all of us.

bcpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bcpilot »

scabbydoo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am Another possibility is Cargojet out of Hamilton, ON, although I could never in good conscience recommend that anyone take a job there now, given their incredibly unscrupulous business practices (they recently fired 23 furloughed AC pilots for without cause as one example).
That seems to be normal in the cargo business.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Why do boxes get such well treated flight crews in the states and such poorly treated pilots in Canada? When the boxes meet their connections in Canada, they must be quite surprised at the differences.

Return to “Employment Forum”