Air Borealis

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Clearprop913
Rank 1
Rank 1

Air Borealis

Post by Clearprop913 »

Wondering if anyone has any knowledge on current or past hiring at Air Borealis.

From just looking around I notice 500TT seems to be a "preference" for FO's. Does anyone know if they currently hire lower time guys/gals? How's life up in Goose?
---------- ADS -----------

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute
Ninja92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Air Borealis

Post by Ninja92 »

I would recommend getting a job with them on the ramp in a ramp - flight line position. If you apply as an external through their portal for the FO position it might be more difficult.

Goose Bay is what you make of it. Be awesome if you own/have access to a snow machine or a boat.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Ninja92 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:05 am I would recommend getting a job with them on the ramp in a ramp - flight line position. If you apply as an external through their portal for the FO position it might be more difficult.

Goose Bay is what you make of it. Be awesome if you own/have access to a snow machine or a boat.
And spend a year or more on the ramp when you meet or exceed the 500 hours TT requirement? I understand that the industry has been hit hard and that when 500 TT positions pop-up, every low timer is flocking to apply, but we shouldn't accept anything just because. If the ad is there and you meet or exceed the reqs, I don't see why one would take anything less then a position that they are qualified for.

I have personally applied several times when the ad pops up, which appears to be every few weeks it seems,and have not heard back. I do exceed the min reqs of 500 TT, but at the same time I get that there's 1000 plus hour pilots applying, so this would make one who is just above the min reqs less attractive to potential employers

Clearprop913
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clearprop913 »

Twa22,

I may be wrong but I believe Ninja was recommending the ramp to flight line if you have lower than 500tt.

Unfortunately it has been all to common especially with this company to not even get so much as a follow up from them even if you blow the requirements out of the water. Goes to show the state of the industry currently or politics, who knows.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute
Ninja92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ninja92 »

I don't see why one would take anything less then a position that they are qualified for.
I would like to point out that a lot of outfits such as Borealis have people who go up and work the ground and the good companies generally reward those people people after a few months with the positions that you are seeking. Sure you might have them beat with your total time, but when compared to a few months of company experience -even if it is ramp- who do you think will be better suited and qualified for the job?

500 hours might get you your dream job in a few months if things keep at least as they are now, but some companies will always give their loyal ramp hands the opportunity over an outside with 500 hours. I respect that.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Ninja92 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:52 am
I don't see why one would take anything less then a position that they are qualified for.
I would like to point out that a lot of outfits such as Borealis have people who go up and work the ground and the good companies generally reward those people people after a few months with the positions that you are seeking. Sure you might have them beat with your total time, but when compared to a few months of company experience -even if it is ramp- who do you think will be better suited and qualified for the job?

500 hours might get you your dream job in a few months if things keep at least as they are now, but some companies will always give their loyal ramp hands the opportunity over an outside with 500 hours. I respect that.
And this is the problem with Canadian aviation... i've debated this topic with several people in the industry and on these forums and there's no getting through to some, and that's all I will say since there's no point of starting another senseless argument, since nothing will ever change anyways

Ninja92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ninja92 »

@twa22

I won’t argue the benefits of hiring someone ground to flight as it is beating a dead horse…

What I will finish with is if you want in to Borealis or PAL the secret to the sauce these days is MFC.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Ninja92 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:52 am
So the question is: does Air Borealis belong to that group?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Ninja92 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:44 pm @twa22

I won’t argue the benefits of hiring someone ground to flight as it is beating a dead horse…

What I will finish with is if you want in to Borealis or PAL the secret to the sauce these days is MFC.
I don't want PAL or Borealis.

Or let me rephrase that.

I don't give a shit who hires me, as long as they are a respectable operator who treats perspective candidates equally and fairly, and provides a safe working environment... Which seems like there are far and few in Canada, ranging from 702 to 705

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

Anyone heard back regarding the FO positing in January or have info regarding upcoming ground schools?

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

This is an excellent job and company for pilots looking to enter the industry. Spent 2 years and nearly 2000 hours flying the twin otter here. Excellent for time building, before new CARs duty regs we averaged 800-1000 hours/yr, not sure what the pairings look like now. Captains are some of the best to learn from and the weather/flying conditions will make your hands and feet skills top notch.

It will be tough to get in these days if you don’t come from MFC, but it’s possible if you’re willing to work dispatch/ramp. Best to reach out to the chief pilot directly. Ramp - flight line wait times historically aren’t unreasonably long (4-7 months, I was only 2 month) as once an FO hits 1000 hours, they typically go to Jazz or Porter.

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

Anybody know the salary for Captain and First Officer??

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

What's the updated pay for FO and CPT? Last I heard, there were union negotitations.

TIA

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I've seen Air Borealis advertise on facebook (as in: paid ads, not sharing or posting on a company page) recently, looking for pilots. It's very weird a company needs to resort to those tactics to find crew...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Not many people want to move to Goose Bay.

Return to “Employment Forum”