Does this possibility exist ?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

gravelpit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gravelpit »

I am just a low time pilot with a strong back and an empty wallet, looking to get a chance.

I was wondering, if any operators gave the chance to work in exchange for float ratings ( ramp or dock )or other, and take the training cost out of your check!! You may pay for it with blood ,sweat and tears to get the rating and actual experience. It could be worth it.

I think it would be a great way for them to mold you into a better pilot learning first hand to work for someone with alot of bush experience, rather than paying outta pocket to a school that is afraid to let you fly, when the ceiling is a"little Low".. and cost alone... Isn't better to put your back into it??

If you have done it !! could you please tell me how or where it was.?
---------- ADS -----------

merlin
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by merlin »

There was a place in SK somewhere I think that was looking to hire people earlier this year with pretty much what you are looking for. I can't remember the name though, maybe someone else will. The only thing was it seemed a little sketchy, but you never know if you don't go check it out. They wanted you to send a picture of your self with your resume, kind of odd. Anyone remember?

If you can I would get at least the 7 hr float rating, it will give you at least a few more options.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

2 Places I've heard of this, but pretty sure nobody does it anymore since all the whoooores have paid for their own 50-100 hour float ratings. One was Laronge Aviation (now Transwest) who would hire low timers to work the dock swamping the twin otter, then give them a float rating on the 185 (I believe). But that was almost 10 years ago, now I'm sure things have changed.

The other was Harbour Air. I heard that if they upgraded you off the dock, onto a Borek Twin Otter, sometimes people did their initial float ratings right on the DHC-6. But again it has been years since I've heard of this happening. Nowadays it seems that if you don't have at least 50 hours on floats, nobody will hire you. Good luck. cj

Return to “Employment Forum”