Vancouver Area

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Front.
Rank 5
Rank 5

Vancouver Area

Post by Front. »

Hello i am 16 and would like to get some work on the summer or perhaps weekends somewhere that is airline based or where i get to work around planes and get to know pilots.

What jobs do you recommend and specifically where as in "company, airline, etc"

I've already applied for Baxter and Helijet.
---------- ADS -----------

gulfan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gulfan »

Good luck! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Maybe offer to work for free :cry: :cry: :cry:

tellyourkidstogetarealjob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tellyourkidstogetarealjob »

You won't hear from places like Helijet.

At 16 and, I presume, going back to school is September you're not very marketable.

Generally, all the crap jobs are taken up by pilot wannabes while they wait for a chance to fly. Companies like Worldwide who moves bags for several airlines would probably not be interested in summer only. They need full-timers. The most you might get is washing aircraft and possibly moving bags and cleaning toilets for someone like Montair out at boundary bay. Check the phone book for the local flight schools rather than airlines. You're chances would be a bit better.

Once you finish school and are available year-round you'd have better luck.

One more piece of advice, read my handle!

Front.
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Front. »

yup for sure, i am not asking for a heavy duty job anyway ... i just want to work somewhere close to planes where i can talk to instructors, pilots and etc :)

Afterall, i don't think i am a wannabe eh? I am currently finishing my PPL. But yeah, if you meant compared to helijet i assume "wannabe" would be the right word 8)

groo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by groo »

here is my best advice.

Go get a job as a plumber.

Smartest guy I know got his ticket and it helped pay for his flying and durring the first 2+ years while his friends were struggling to feed themselves, he was working as much as he wanted on days off and never had to worry about money.

He works for emerates now.

and don't worry too much about talking to pilots about flying,enjoy the silence while it lasts.

Good luck

gulfan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gulfan »

I guess one option could be to work in say like, Dairy Queen or one of those fast food places. I guess you'll be surrounded by planes and that kind of atmosphere more which is better than nothing. Maybe then you can hear of something?

beechy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by beechy »

Try a local flying school, they often look for people to push planes around and fuel etc... if your school has a co-op program they might take you as a co-op to start. I know quite a few people in Ottawa that have gotten started that way.....dont listen to the downers on here most of them are jealous that they weren't inspired enough at your age to do something interesting. the pay isnt always that good but the experience is. You can learn alot about planes from listening in on briefings and such....keep your head up and good luck.

gulfan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gulfan »

One of the things I regretted most was not joining our local Air Cadets. I could have had my PPL paid for, free. I could have gained some valuable knowledge too - Do they offer anything like that in Vancouver?

SouthIsland
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SouthIsland »

Harbour Air and West Coast Air are always good bets for seasonal employment.

Front.
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Front. »

thanks you guys are the best :)

wheeliedriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wheeliedriver »

Personally in YVR I'd suggest Pacific Coastal - very seasonal, and definately among the better payed rampies. Be a good place for you to figure out if you want to go the bush or instructor route. Once you get your licenses started go find a fishing lodge to work at if you want to go the bush route, or a dispatching job for a flight school if you want to be an instructor. Try and do your own training over the winter months - I know it can be a challenge in the lower mainland, but keep in mind that most flying jobs are seasonal - busy in the summer, slow in the winter - so when it is time for you to start looking for your first flying job, or even a dockhand job or whatever they'll likely be hiring for the summer.

Best of luck to ya!

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

You're in school, right? And you're going back to school? You qualify for the Summer Placement Program from HRDC where they'll cover half your wage, and the employer covers the other half. Explain that to the prospective employer, and they'll be falling all over themselves for a half-priced airplane washer, dispatcher, ramp-rat, whatever.

Good luck.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
gulfan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gulfan »

I guess I'm going to toss my name into this thread. I'm not having much luck with my current plan so I'm going to consider Vancouver. Does anyone know who is hiring right now at YVR for a Customer Service or Ramp style position. Is there anything that pays $10, or is it all close to minimum wage.

I'm going to take the ferry and take a look on Monday and Tuesday. There's nothing in YQQ, I need to go big.

Front.
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Front. »

i guess i can pass on the info that others gave me, go to the south terminal and drop some resumes :)

On your way to the south terminal, give Harmony Air a visit and drop your resume at the front counter, they are very nice people. 8)

flystraightin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flystraightin »

We do QX, HMY, SSV WS and Puro at YYJ. Yes, HMY are nice :wink:

I'd suggest Pasco for a rampie, they make more than us and Jazz to start, and you'll probably only work for the summer (maybe a few shifts in the winter) so PCO is the place to be. Light loads and small aircraft! Once you're trained, you're pretty much guaranteed a job for the summer after too!

Try Harbor Air and Westcoast, downtown, you might be too late, or they still might be looking for the summer. Helijet might also be a good place. You should go into the terminal at YVR and go to every airline's check-in counter and drop off a resume. Thats exactly what I did. Not many people are looking to work at an airline, even at age 16, you'd be surprised how many offers you'll get. They'll be happy to see you!!

Also ask for contact numbers for 'behind the scenes' ground handler services. In Vancouver, to name a few.. Evergreen, Worldwide Flt. Services, ASIG (not sure about YVR, I know their at SEA), Globe Ground (aka, new name, Penauille Servisair)

One piece of advice, if you're not in that airline's hub city, be ready to travel for training on weekdays throughout the school year. I had to go to both Portland and Seattle for QX, and Calgary for WS.

fly straight in
--
V1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1 »

What about the FBO's at South Terminal?
Millionair, Esso Avitat, Shell Aerocentre? They are always looking for seasonal workers during the busy summer season and pay is decent. You would also get to work outside around really nice bizjets:)

canpilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by canpilot »

You can always try Jet Eagle transfer for YVR south, Harbour air, Air North. Best bet it to hit the phone books and websites, you never know what large or small company is looking for work. Also, "Bay Fuel"at the Boundary Bay Airport usually is looking for guys.

Also, Pacific Flying Club and Montair usually look for rampies. Both of these companies are at Boundary Bay.

The problem with alot of the FBO's is, that you require a class 4 or higher. I may be wrong here..anyone step in...Also, I hope you have a clean driving record and at least a class 7N. Most companies will require this.

Best of luck,

PM me if for any further questions..if u wish

jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

I know Swissport is doing a training class pretty much every month. They are really short on people, and I'm sure they will take any help they can get, even if it is just for the summer. Swissport mainly provides ground service for Westjet, but also Northwest and Sunwing. All of their equipment is not even a year old, and most of Westjet's planes are nice and new too. Great company to work for.

asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

Kelowna Flightcraft may want an aircraft goomer in YVR, afternoons, mon - friday, but maybe just a few days a week.

canpilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by canpilot »

KFC Pilot,

I was under the impression that Jet Eagle Transfer did all the grooming?

Thanks,

Canpilot.

Return to “Employment Forum”