Pilots: Stay Safe, Know Your Rights

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bob A. Booey
Rank 2
Rank 2
Location: Twisted Steel and Sex Appeal dipped in a fun candy shell of volumptuicity.

Post by Bob A. Booey »

How come transport doesn't test us on THAT stuff? Excellent links m'lady, much appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

NO EXCUSES.
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

You're welcome...

:smt023

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Yes CD, thank you very much for having posted most of these in the past to make it easier for me to find them quickly!

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

How come transport doesn't test us on THAT stuff? Excellent links m'lady, much appreciated.
Did you ever learn many useful things in school? How to change a tyre, first aid, how to cook, balance a chequebook...the list of what you should get taught is practically endless - why not a little employment law, seeing as most of us are going to be employed at one time or another...

why would you think that transport would be any different in terms of what they mandate for training?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
rsandor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rsandor »

This thread needs to be a permanent "sticky" thread.

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

rsandor wrote:This thread needs to be a permanent "sticky" thread.
I would agree with that... :smt023

However, at this point, the mods seem to like the information posted in the "deadbeat" pilot thread better so they have it up as a sticky instead. :smt017

So, in the meantime, we'll just have to keep bumping it to the top. :wink:

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

marktheone
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by marktheone »

Bob A. Booey wrote:How come transport doesn't test us on THAT stuff? Excellent links m'lady, much appreciated.
If you need to be told that in this democracy perhaps you should pursue somthing in customer service.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

marktheone wrote:
Bob A. Booey wrote:How come transport doesn't test us on THAT stuff? Excellent links m'lady, much appreciated.
If you need to be told that in this democracy perhaps you should pursue somthing in customer service.
Lots of those things on the list are things that not just pilots should know, but every potential worker in this country. Sadly most of them don't. If I remember rightly from the ads the Alberta government likes to run workers under the age of 20 account for more than half of the lost time accidents in this country. Which is funny seeing as though they seem so concerned about worker safety as to run ads about it - its a lip service - as nothing is in place to actually educate workers, especially new workers as to their rights and responibilities in the workplace. For those concerned about such things the government also turns a blind eye to what a lot of companies are doing for their so called "safety" programs, which are largely a method of absolving the company of any responsibility for worker safety. OHS and WCB usually only get involved after something bad has happened.

If I remember rightly, the Ontario government made an attempt to put in place the idea that you couldn't get a driver's licence unless you held a high school diploma - part of graduating high school then was to take a driver's safety course. The idea was quashed of course because it seems the public would rather remain uneducated (part of it was supposed to be an incentive for people to stay in school) and poor drivers. Possibly one could see the merits though of a similar program to be instituted in schools regarding classes on worker safety and workplace rights, therefore giving more weight to those whom have finished school in gaining employment.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Unions do a good job of informing workers of their rights.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Widow wrote:Unions do a good job of informing workers of their rights.
Not all workers belong to unions, not all unions do a good job of this either. In my experience some unions have even signed contracts where money speaks more than worker safety. Maybe how unions should work should be added to that high school requirement I mentioned above.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

The BC Federation of Labour do send an OH&S officers to local high schools to educate students on the Labour laws as part of their young workers safety program.

Air taxi pilots don't have a union available to them now, nor a professional association, a safety association, an ombudsman or an advocate of any kind.

marktheone
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by marktheone »

Widow wrote:The BC Federation of Labour do send an OH&S officers to local high schools to educate students on the Labour laws as part of their young workers safety program.

Air taxi pilots don't have a union available to them now, nor a professional association, a safety association, an ombudsman or an advocate of any kind.
And still we survive. Amazing. Less govt or other type of interference the better. If you haven't got the backbone to know when to fly and when not to, find another line of work.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

marktheone wrote:And still we survive.
I'm sure you don't want me to remind you of how many have not survived ...

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Widow wrote:The BC Federation of Labour do send an OH&S officers to local high schools to educate students on the Labour laws as part of their young workers safety program.
Then you are fortunate out there as this isn't the same attitude in Alberta. Work related deaths are the number one cause for people below the age of 40 in this province.
marktheone wrote:And still we survive. Amazing. Less govt or other type of interference the better. If you haven't got the backbone to know when to fly and when not to, find another line of work.
Like widow said, many don't. This attitude towards the issue onnly makes it worse. You're right, it would be better if we could trust things to work out without government involvement, but obviously we can't. Remember that if left to themselves companies would only pay into keeping their workers safe only to the point of where it doesn't cut into profit - in other words that life is cheap, equipment isn't.

Sadly enough its cheaper for a company if workers are killed rather than injured. Keep this in mind the next time you're flying.

Keep in mind we're also talking about precisely what our government is for. Individuals don't have the power to be going to bat themselves against companies and corporations - that's why we invest that in agencies like our labour boards and we fund WCB and in the case that those places we work for fail, we pay into employment insurance.

The problem being isn't that we need more government influence - we just need that government to start doing the job its supposed to.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Thank you CD!!! I will update my website when I get home from Ottawa next week!

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Because accidents will always be discussed, because someone will always be looking for a way to call "pilot error" (especially when he/she is no longer alive to fight the allegations - it is, after all, the "cost-effective" determination of cause) ... I thought it would be valuable to add this information to this sticky thread ...

Remembering that, as a pilot, you are so often responsible for the lives of others as well as your own ...
Doc wrote:There is a minimum descent altitude on your approach plate. Read it. Do not go below that number.
There are approach bans. Adhere to them. They are there for a reason.
Put enough frikken fuel in your airplane to make the trip. The reserve is just that...a reserve. If your boss thinks you should use your reserve fuel for the flight, tell him to piss off. Do it.
If you fly into ice, and there is ANY doubt, turn around.
Your aircraft has a designed gross weight. Get to know it. Use it. It's a limitation.
If you are solo, make bloody sure your auto pilot works. Or, don't go.
If the weather is at limits, brief for the missed approach. Not the landing. The landing should be the surprise. Not the missed approach.
Don't let the Captain kill you.
When your co-pilot speaks...listen.
Stay away from hard approaches to limits at night. Circling limits only please. If your boss has a problem with this, have him call me.
Read the numbers on the runway.
Do not do intersection departures from northern strips.
Land and take off into wind.
If your aircraft has a snag, put it in the book.
The guys upstairs might not be the sharpest knives in the drawer, but you are the one that get to the accident site first.
Transport Canada, SMS and all the politically correct bullshit ain't going to help you. YOU are on your own. Be careful out there.
I say, PAY ATTENTION!
Widow wrote:And if I may add, if you know someone who is facing a should I stay or should I go problem, or who is being stonewalled over a safety issue - stand up for them. Support them in their decision. Make sure they aren't blackballed as a result. Remember, it could be you next time.
From this thread: Accidents

Chris
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re:

Post by Chris »

marktheone wrote:

And still we survive. Amazing. Less govt or other type of interference the better. If you haven't got the backbone to know when to fly and when not to, find another line of work.

Refusing to fly due to safety cost me my job. Now I'm stuck in another line of work, and having a tough time getting a flying job.

Return to “Employment Forum”