2 weeks On, 2 weeks Off... Or more!

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Clearprop913
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 2 weeks On, 2 weeks Off... Or more!

Post by Clearprop913 »

Borek does advertise 3 weeks On and off. However, for the most part that is unrealistic unless you are out of YEV on the 1900/B200.

Other than that you can expect to be up north for possibly months at a time with minimal days off. It is a fun run. Just try and know 100% of what your dealing with!
---------- ADS -----------

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute
Macktuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Macktuck »

Two on two off always sounds attractive, but the reality ii means is you are gone half the time. If you are needed at home for what ever reason, trust me, that sched is not for you.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

Macktuck wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:16 pm Two on two off always sounds attractive, but the reality ii means is you are gone half the time. If you are needed at home for what ever reason, trust me, that sched is not for you.
If you're needed at home for whatever reason, aviation is not for you

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

Macktuck wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:16 pm Two on two off always sounds attractive, but the reality ii means is you are gone half the time. If you are needed at home for what ever reason, trust me, that sched is not for you.
There is an element of that, but it's more just not having the flexibility that I would like to move anywhere at a moments notice. It's looking like I will have no choice but to make some changes to my situation so that I have that flexibility or I'll never be able to get back into flying.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

The new flight and duty regulations make a 14 day rotation impossible, without days off in the middle of the rotation. This is already in effect for 705, and will affect 704 and 703 in the future. This may make it more difficult to find a position that matches your needs. Combine that with the present landscape with little movement in the industry, your goals may be very difficult to achieve.

If there is a possibility of some more flexibility in your living situation, that may improve your chances of finding a good job.

Good luck!

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

NotDirty! wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:26 am The new flight and duty regulations make a 14 day rotation impossible, without days off in the middle of the rotation. This is already in effect for 705, and will affect 704 and 703 in the future. This may make it more difficult to find a position that matches your needs. Combine that with the present landscape with little movement in the industry, your goals may be very difficult to achieve.

If there is a possibility of some more flexibility in your living situation, that may improve your chances of finding a good job.

Good luck!
Negative attitude here.

The US is back in full force and Canada will be right around the corner when restrictions ease Sep 9. Jazz already recalled everyone and many captains at various places took early retirement incentives. Who would have thought 3 months ago that all Jazz pilots would be recalled before the end of Summer?

I figure within 12 months there will be a very different reality in Canadian Aviation.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I believe all the AB health planes are 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, both Canwest and ACA, and 500 tt is the FO min for AB health.

BC health is 4 days on 4 days off and they don't work nights. Great for lifestyle, terrible for commuting.

KBAL, and Keewatin still do rotations and fly you home for your days off.

Pre pandemic, Wasaya was doing on/ off rotations but you had to get yourself home. They had a jumpseat agreement at least

That's all I know.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

NotDirty! wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:26 am The new flight and duty regulations make a 14 day rotation impossible, without days off in the middle of the rotation. This is already in effect for 705, and will affect 704 and 703 in the future. This may make it more difficult to find a position that matches your needs. Combine that with the present landscape with little movement in the industry, your goals may be very difficult to achieve.

Good luck!
Not true at all. The new reg 700.29D) states that as long as you have 5 consecutive days off in 21 consecutive days you can can work the remaining, albeit with restrictions. I know one operator currently using this reg for a 2 week on 2 week off rotation. See below.

(d) 70 hours in any 7 consecutive days if the air operator has provided 120 consecutive hours free from duty, including 5 consecutive local nights’ rest, in any 504 consecutive hours and if

(i) the member is not assigned early duty, late duty or night duty,

(ii) the member is not assigned a flight duty period greater than 12 hours, and

(iii) the member’s maximum number of hours of work is 24 hours in any consecutive 48 hours.

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

co-joe wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:56 pm I believe all the AB health planes are 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, both Canwest and ACA, and 500 tt is the FO min for AB health.

BC health is 4 days on 4 days off and they don't work nights. Great for lifestyle, terrible for commuting.

KBAL, and Keewatin still do rotations and fly you home for your days off.

Pre pandemic, Wasaya was doing on/ off rotations but you had to get yourself home. They had a jumpseat agreement at least

That's all I know.
Good to know that there are some other rotational options out there. I have sent in a resume to Keewatin a few times, but I have no idea if they're hiring and I have no internal connections. Maybe it could be worth showing up to their hangar in person, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate with Covid. That would, without a doubt, be the ideal gig with my current constraints. Have they taken on people with less than 500 hours in the past?

Last edited by yowflyer23 on Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Don't beat yourself up too much. That 206 job can be a good way in but its a shit job in the a-hole of Alberta and most of us know that, so if it didn't work out don't get too down on yourself. I'd have quit that job for a shot at a 705 position any day of the week, just be glad you werent in a 12k bond for a 250 PPC. If you have time on the 206 you have a leg up on lots of people who don't. Lots of skydive outfits fly them, they're still around up north.

ysogk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ysogk1 »

North Star Air : 2 weeks on 2weeks off

oyk123
Rank 0
Rank 0

pickle lake rental

Post by oyk123 »

hey guys,
I am about to head up to pickle lake in a couple weeks. Cant find any room/apartment for rent. Anyone up there right now that can help. And whats the commuting situation up there. Do I need car or can I survive without one. Any help is appreciated

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

bring me the horizon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:34 pm
That attitude is part of the problem

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

PitchLink wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:52 pm
You're both right!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

digits_ wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:56 pm

You're both right!
I agree

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:12 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:56 pm

You're both right!
I agree

It doesn’t have to be that way. We allow it to happen!

Return to “Employment Forum”