Resumes and Cover Letters - The Sequel

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FastFlyBy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Resumes and Cover Letters - The Sequel

Post by FastFlyBy »

xsbank wrote:
8. Do not list every job older than 10 years ago - its not material. Do not hide them, though. You can group them together. If you have a gap where you were recovering from an STD or were on EI, skiing, explain it.

According to what you said there about EI, do you suggest that if I am currently laid off, that I note that on my resume above my "current" job?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I would include that in your cover letter, but put something like "...my last job was a seasonal position with Mudflap Airlines, ending in September..." something like that, writing it so that there is no misinterpretation that you might have been fired.

On your resume, your last job, instead of being to 'present' would be up to, say, Sept/07.

For flying jobs for a lower-timer I use a strictly chronological resume and so you should explain large or curious gaps. Its not a mystery to employers in this industry that lots of us get laid off, just make it look like a normal seasonal thing, not that you're a job-jumper or some kind of disaster.

If you are high-time, a functional resume is probably best and gaps don't make much difference as the fact you worked for UnderDog Air for 14 years will say more about you than the winter you were on the EI Ski Team.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

XS - thanks for the tips, very useful.

What suggestions would you have for my situation, where I've obtained my CPL in 03' but didn't enter the workforce in the industry until mid 07' when I obtained an instructors rating? (In between that huge gap of time frame, I've always been employed, but just not in aviation).

My TT is 800hrs.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I would just put in your resume what you did with your 'intervening' years. If its an issue for an operator, (I doubt that it would be) explain it all in your interview. Lots of guys have those 'grocery gaps' where the love of aviation just won't buy groceries or pay the loans off.

800 hours should good enough for a move into the 'real' world (just a dig at instructors - don't get annoyed, I sort of are one), perhaps the right seat of something or a float plane in the spring, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

"What's it doing now?"
futboler14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by futboler14 »

19. Personal interests: donating blood. Fourteen gallons so far.
haha... beauty

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Intend to hit floats for this summer - and the "years" were most definitely due to groceries.... Thanks for the lot. I'll keep ya posted if any float operator take the bait.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

xsbank wrote:The most interesting topic was addresses - NEVER PUT YOUR ADDRESS ON YOUR RESUME because it might prejudice your chances for a job!
Interesting. I think if you are local it would be good to put it on.

It was mentioned not to include flight school. I think it can be important as you might get the "oh, I went there too" response.

I felt that when applying at some places, especially up north, including my university education and degree status hurt me. I assumed it said "I'm a fancy city boy who is much smarter than you yokels and I'll run for the airline at the first opportunity".

My best advise, go their personally. If you do, then that simple resume is all you need. But use high quality paper - it makes your stand out in the pile.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Personally, unless you are applying for Cathay, I think your flight school is immaterial. Special courses, aerobatics or tail-wheel (etc.) perhaps, but the 'education' section is usually for degree work (high school is a given).

I have come around to agree with the address thing - it can't possibly help and it can possibly hinder. On balance, don't include it. If you are doing a road trip and you are applying to wherever you are, then you don't live where you say you do anyway, you live where you are hoping to work!

Last edited by xsbank on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What's it doing now?"
Justwannafly
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Justwannafly »

so just to Confirm Xsbank, you are saying "DO NOT put your address on your resume"?

btw I agree with the previous poster who said that up north his education seem'd to hurt him. I use to work up in Northern MB & my employer realy didn't like educated people...he had drop'd out of highschool & was doing just fine. Infact he hated education so much that we were not allowed to even talk about anything related to it. (for example I once got into trouble for talking to a co-worker durring supper about what courses she was going to take in the fall)

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Justwannafly, you will meet all sorts of eccentric employers out there and its not possible to tailor your resume to suit, especially if you don't know them. I suppose its possible to assume that a remote operator will not appreciate your 'book learnin' especially if he suspects your goal is airlines, but how do you know? Maybe the next guy down the lake from him appreciates someone who is ambitious and is trying to better themselves?

I am suggesting the address is extraneous because it is largely immaterial - who gets letters these days? A large operator like Cathay will want to know it and will ask you the names of both your parents, all your kids and maybe even your grandparents. But Bob's Bush Business will not care, as long as he has a phone, that is.

"What's it doing now?"
Justwannafly
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Justwannafly »

xsbank wrote:Justwannafly, you will meet all sorts of eccentric employers out there and its not possible to tailor your resume to suit, especially if you don't know them. I suppose its possible to assume that a remote operator will not appreciate your 'book learnin' especially if he suspects your goal is airlines, but how do you know? Maybe the next guy down the lake from him appreciates someone who is ambitious and is trying to better themselves?

I am suggesting the address is extraneous because it is largely immaterial - who gets letters these days? A large operator like Cathay will want to know it and will ask you the names of both your parents, all your kids and maybe even your grandparents. But Bob's Bush Business will not care, as long as he has a phone, that is.
Oh I agree...I wasnt' saying that I would hide my education...infact I'm DANG PROUD of those 4 years I took to get my degree, you better belive I'm keeping it on my resume....but was just agreeing with the previous poster that there are some up north that don't seem to like book smarts

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

When stating Pilot Training and Endorsements I have mine as such.

Commercial License
Night Rating
VFR Over the Top
Seaplane Endorsement
Canadian & New Zealand Glider License
Canadian & New Zealand (C-Cat) Glider Instructor Rating

I don't see a point in puting Night Rating and VFR over the top as these are recognized privilages of a CPL holder with out restrictions. Probably answered my own question ... but should I remove it?

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
dangerous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dangerous »

I would. But then again I put "multi engine rating" and "group 1 instrument rating" on my resume even though the latter implies that you have the former.

"Yeah. There is a problem. You...because you're dangerous. You're dangerous and foolish - and that makes you dangerous! Now, let's cut the...crap. We've got a plane to fly. Let's try to be on time, okay?"
~Val Kilmer, Saturday Night Live
skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

XSBANK
Well its been about a year since my last post, and luckily 800TT was enough to get my feet wet in the float world for this past season. Thanks for the advice.

Also, what's your opinion on putting "Personal Data" on a resume? (age, marital status etc)

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

You're welcome.

I think its immaterial. Should have no bearing on the job and will likely be revealed in the interview anyway. Clutters up the resume.

"What's it doing now?"

Return to “Employment Forum”