Falcon 20

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

milton01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Falcon 20

Post by milton01 »

This is what I sent Swift Jet

Good morning,

I saw your ad on AvCanada. I have well in excess of your requirements and am employed. I was appalled at that you would feel it necessary to offend so many as I quote…

While we have no doubt as to your abilities and experience there are certain positions and types of applicants that we are not looking to hire.

They are:
Anyone without the experience listed above
Retired airline captains
Anyone between jobs

Should the industry equate to you needing someone, I would feel quite sorry for the individual that may be hired by your company as your advertisement is clearly an indication attesting how you would treat people (your greatest resource) in the future.

Please remember,

If you put people first, you will succeed…
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Falcon 20

Post by Cat Driver »

Anyone between jobs
Yeh, that really is a hard one to figure out, how about pilots who are between jobs because their former employer went bankrupt?

Weird to say the least.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
nimbostratus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nimbostratus »

I agree, the "In between jobs" thing sounds a little off. I can only guess/hope they are referring to pilots just looking for a paycheque until they get recalled to an airline or are planning a quick move to something else.

Nimbo

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes!

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
Give him a mask and he will tell the truth." -- Oscar Wilde
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

With the sh*tty salary, no one will stay anyway.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

Who cares about Swift Jet :roll:

'Air Today -Gone Tomorrow'...

Rubberbiscuit
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rubberbiscuit »

milton01 wrote:This is what I sent Swift Jet

Good morning,

I saw your ad on AvCanada. I have well in excess of your requirements and am employed. I was appalled at that you would feel it necessary to offend so many as I quote…

While we have no doubt as to your abilities and experience there are certain positions and types of applicants that we are not looking to hire.

They are:
Anyone without the experience listed above
Retired airline captains
Anyone between jobs

Should the industry equate to you needing someone, I would feel quite sorry for the individual that may be hired by your company as your advertisement is clearly an indication attesting how you would treat people (your greatest resource) in the future.

Please remember,

If you put people first, you will succeed…
Good for you. I was surprised when I read that to say the least. One step further and they would have been narrowing down to skin color and or sex.

"Nearly all safety regulations are based upon lessons which have been paid for in blood by those who attempted what you are contemplating" Tony Kern
gasper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gasper »

:rolleyes:

Last edited by gasper on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
...PEACE through superior firepower!
EZFlyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EZFlyer »

I'm curious where you heard they are required to post a $52,000 bond?

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

does that mean there isn't a bond for this job EZflyer?

EZFlyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EZFlyer »

We have yet to make a pilot pay for their training.

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

EZflyer,

thanks for responding. please clarify whether your employer currently has or will put in place a bond or a promissary note as perhaps some employers do not consider either to be 'paying for training'?

gasper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gasper »

Last edited by gasper on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noob
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noob »

$52k is much higher than the cost of an initial course on a Falcon 20 even with hotels and per diems etc.

Yeeha Jester's dead
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

Noob wrote:$52k is much higher than the cost of an initial course on a Falcon 20 even with hotels and per diems etc.
You could probably buy a Falcon 20 for that much in todays market.

gasper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gasper »

Last edited by gasper on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bezerker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bezerker »

Gasper, you are way out to lunch on those prices and the way you came up with them.

The last medium jet (non complex) I got a quote on at CAE was initial is $13,000 US and the recurrent was about $7,000 US and that was with very little arguing (no one pays the sticker price for those courses, except suckers and rich arabs). You could probably get lower prices than I quoted given the market conditions lately.

I just did a quick check on Travelocity. $1,000 CAD for airfare from YYZ and 15 days hotel in Dallas. The airfare only is $350. Meal allowance of $75 a day as per the government standard here in Canada (even though many hotels there have a decent breakfast buffet included in the price).

Lets add it up.
Initial - $13,000 US = $16,000 CAD
Recurrent - $7,000 US = $8,500 CAD
Initial Hotel, airfare, and meals = $2,100
Recurrent Hotel, airfare, and meals = $1,000
TC or ACP airfare, hotel and meals = $1,000
Transportation to Simuflite is free from all local hotels (except driver tips).

Total = about $29,000 over 2 years, close to 50% of what you quoted.

I didn't include the training costs for RVSM, Hi-Alt, CFIT, DG, etc. It sounds like some on here think maybe that should also be added to a bond.

Unfortunately a company that had a pay/benefit program in place that would likely cause an employee to look elsewhere in under two years will probably have some kind of agreement/bond in place. If they were at all descent they would at least take half of the risk and have a pro rated agreement for $15,000 over two years, or $8,000 over one year. Or better yet, pay a quality pilot enough that there wasn't a hope in hell that he would leave in the near future.

Anyway, I pray to God that there is no one on here that will pay or agree to a $52,000 bond over two years. If there is someone, call me first, I will get you your training and throw in a 737 Type Rating as a bonus.

p.s. companies that do non mandated sim training every 6 months do not have bonds.

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
gasper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gasper »

Last edited by gasper on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bezerker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bezerker »

It's not a pipe dream for the company to take the risk gasper, for me and many others it is a reality. You see, many people wouldn't sign or pay a god damned thing.

When you say that you and your buddies are happily signing up for $40,000 bonds, then there is obviously not much point in discussing this further with you. You might as well sign up for a million dollars, because there is no hope in hell you are going to leave before your time is up in either case.

But, since I enjoy lively discussions, I will go on to say that your arguments are extremely weak and without merit.

I am pretty sure your buddy at CAE (or any other salesmen) would be considered insane if he gave a rock bottom price when some pilot called up and wanted a ballpark number. Why in hell were you phoning down there anyway? And why in hell am I arguing with you? I have had to arrange training many times and I am quite aware of the costs. It is possible to get prices that are 30-40% off list, especially on older aircraft (and that was before the economic downturn). It is kind of like buying a car (and I am not talking about buying a new Saturn or Toyota) some suckers will pay the sticker price on the window, many will pay less. You sound like a car salesman's dream.

Embassy Suites are one of the more expensive hotels out there, and, as I already explained, just go to Expedia or Travelocity and you will find what I said to be true regarding accommodation and travel costs. At any rate, if you were choosing to pay a bond, why in hell would you stay at an expensive hotel anyway? If you make $65,000 a year and live in YYZ, you cannot afford to stay in the Embassy Suites for 2 weeks, trust me. Stay at the laughable Super 8 and negotiate a $2,000 reduction on your bond. Or if you like big bonds, stay at the Gaylord Texan Hotel and Convention Center (for other peoples info, without a rental car, the Embassy Suites is a very poor hotel choice at DFW north due to being isolated).

As for food, I weigh 250 lbs and enjoy food and drink. I guarantee I can eat and drink you under the table. 24 beers at 7-11 in USA = under $20 (as is a 60 of vodka at any liquor store) If you can't fill your gullet daily with that and the $55 left over, that is your problem. Here is some help
http://www.bigbuck.com/May%2022%20Gaylo ... 202007.pdf
20 Oz porterhouse at a nice restaurant for $30
If you are really hungry go to Texas de Brazil. If you can eat there more than once every 3 days, you are my hero.

By the way, I got my conversion numbers from currency converter xe.com (here is a free tip: credit card companies charge rip off exchange rates)

Universal Currency Converter© Results
Using live mid-market rates.
Live rates at 2009.02.04 22:38:26 UTC
13,000.00 USD = 16,018.53 CAD
United States Dollars Canada Dollars
1 USD = 1.23219 CAD 1 CAD = 0.811560 USD

So to answer your question, yes, I did sharpen my pencil.

So, to be clear, there are no "maybes" here. Unless you choose to pay listed price at CAE or FSI (you seem very free with your money so that is your prerogative), your numbers are still almost double what the actual costs to a company are. And by the way, Ezflyer did comment on the bond figure, and he seemed to indicate that $52,000 was an incredulous number.

The real question is why I am wasting my time posting twice?

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

Return to “Employment Forum”