Jazz or Porter?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Jazz or Porter?

Post by mattedfred »

does the 2 hour callout at porter require you to be at the YTZ terminal within 2 hours? what is the ferry schedule nowadays? is there a connection between union and the ferry dock? i'll check out the appropriate websites if nobody wants to answer so no biggie.
---------- ADS -----------

big dog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by big dog »

Yeah a 2 hr call out for reserve. The ferry runs every 12 minutes or so and yes there is a free shuttle from Union to the YTZ ferry terminal.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Porter or Jazz? Lets look two years into the future..........

Porter's current business model is unsustainable. Expansion into a recessionary economy focusing on O&D traffic out of a secondary airport? MDW is already underperforming and the YQT announcement is a joke. Most YQT traffic is connecting and that is why it works for AC and WJ. Much like JetsGo, backloaded costs eventually have to be paid. We will see how deep the private investors pockets are at Porter. The Deluces have never made money running an airline in the long term - they make money selling airlines.

Jazz is only as stable as AC. If AC fails again, then Jazz will suffer proportionally. Jazz has so far failed at any attempts to diversify its business beyond AC CPA work. The neverending scope fight between ACPA and ALPA will renew itself again this year at the respective bargaining tables. Could be the end of the line for the 75-seaters at Jazz.

An interesting possibility is that Jazz could buy Porter and incorporate that capacity into the CPA with AC. Perhaps that is what the Porter investors have been hoping for all along :D

olijets11
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by olijets11 »

PORTER!!!!!!

YVRDroider
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVRDroider »

Bump. Anyone reconsidered their position here over the last few years?

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

Some great info in here, but can someone update the facts?

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

Last edited by Lemon on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atmosphere
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atmosphere »

Jazz without a doubt!

"It's good to learn from your mistakes. It's better to learn from other people's mistakes." - Warren Buffet
Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

Any updates on this? Which one would you choose today?

A V I A T O
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by A V I A T O »

It all comes down to personal preference, but Jazz gets the edge in my opinion.

Porter: great lifestyle for a downtown resident, walking to work, interesting flying out of YTZ, everyone just looks like theyre having a generally good time working there

but... 10 gdos a month as opposed to 12 at jazz. Not sure what the flight benefits are like for family, but im sure jazz has more ways than one to send mom, dad, spouse and kids on european and asian vacations

porters also limited to bases in toronto, ottawa, and halifax. with jazz you could go out west eventually if living in a 1 million dollar condo in yaletown above a cougar cocktail bar is an experience to cross off the bucket list.

last but not least, porters got a big jet order, but with the big obstacle in the way of not being able to use them on the island, and thus not being able to apply the successful porter business model of convenience to their jet operation. A porter jet operation out of YYZ would definitely be interesting though. It would be a bath-of-blood fare war between WJ AC and PD. Whose war chest is deeper to survive that?

Jazz gets the edge on long term outlook in my opinion, though neither would be a bad place to be.

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

A V I A T O wrote:It all comes down to personal preference, but Jazz gets the edge in my opinion.
Jazz gets the edge on long term outlook in my opinion, though neither would be a bad place to be.
I'd be happy if either one would hire people with BE20 flight time.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

NickyNick wrote:
A V I A T O wrote:It all comes down to personal preference, but Jazz gets the edge in my opinion.

I have BE20 time and I got hired.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

NickyNick wrote:
I think I've turned the corner here; NickyNick is no longer an annoying troll, he is a hilarious troll.

Btw you need at least 5000BE20 mpic to even get off the resume pile at Porter, and double that for Jazz. Keep hustlin

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dannyjet »

Not really on topic but would either of these, Jazz or Porter, consider a pilot with 5000 total of which 4500 is on Airbus?

I've considered moving back to Canada after building my entire aviation career abroad so far, with the exception of the initial training. As for AC, I understand there is an agreement where 80% of the hiring must be from Jazz and several other smaller regional companies. Where does the other 20% usually come from? Is AC the only one who operates Airbus in scheduled passenger operations in Canada? Would Jazz and Westjet be interested in me having Airbus time? Or any other company for that matter? I feel I have enough time and airline experience for AC but to get there I would have to start off in a smaller company flying probably a turbo-prop to get into the PML, and that would be like starting all over again. I'd appreciate any insight, thanks.

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

NickyNick wrote:
I can only speak for one company, but one of them is hiring flight instructors.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

dannyjet wrote:Not really on topic but would either of these, Jazz or Porter, consider a pilot with 5000 total of which 4500 is on Airbus?

I've considered moving back to Canada after building my entire aviation career abroad so far, with the exception of the initial training. As for AC, I understand there is an agreement where 80% of the hiring must be from Jazz and several other smaller regional companies. Where does the other 20% usually come from? Is AC the only one who operates Airbus in scheduled passenger operations in Canada? Would Jazz and Westjet be interested in me having Airbus time? Or any other company for that matter? I feel I have enough time and airline experience for AC but to get there I would have to start off in a smaller company flying probably a turbo-prop to get into the PML, and that would be like starting all over again. I'd appreciate any insight, thanks.

Is any of the bus time PIC?

dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dannyjet »

I thought after posting that I should have mentioned that, sorry. No, it's all SIC.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

WestJet normally has a min PIC requirement of either 1000 or 1500 hours for mainline. I believe Air Canada had one as well but not 100% sure. If you want to go to either one I'd look at Encore or Jazz.

dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dannyjet »

Thank you for the info, fish4life.

I will consider Jazz then. I've also found out Air Georgian and AirSprint as options that would more or less suit my time. I'd appreciate further feedback.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

You would likely be able to get a direct entry Captain job at Sky or Georgian and make OK money. Jazz is seniority based so you would be an FO to start for a year or two.

It's my understanding that WestJet mainline is also hiring right now? Worth it to put an application in. Someone said they want 1000 hours PIC to go direct entry, but you never know. Worth a shot. Apply for the jobs you want not the ones you think you'll get.

Return to “Employment Forum”