Jazz or Porter?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jazz or Porter?

Post by fruz »

Just throwing this out there.

If you had the option of going to either one of these companies which one would you choose? Lets assume your ambition is to eventually move to a bigger company like AC or Westjet down the road. What aircraft would you prefer to be on Q400 or RJ?

fruz
---------- ADS -----------

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Jazz or Porter?

Post by Doc »

PORTER.......not even a close call!

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

even if were a stepping stone.

Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

Doc wrote:PORTER.......not even a close call!
Just wondering why is that doc

following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
My Name is Earl
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by My Name is Earl »

But Doc there is a training Bond. Shame on you for even suggesting. How could you lead a youngster down the garden path like that...... Tisk Tisk

He He

"I'm just trying to be a better person"-Earl Hickey
LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Porter hands down. Better working environment, better pay, most stable. Plus Jizz has shitty equipment

Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

LegoMan wrote:Porter hands down. Better working environment, better pay, most stable. Plus Jizz has shitty equipment
Wow pretty bold statement Legoman. Care to elaborate at all. Have you worked at either company? Whats the top end Captain pay at Porter? How is Porter anymore stable then jazz? I'd hardly call a CRJ705 shitty equipment. I'm sure Porter is a great place to work, I know guys there that enjoy quite a bit and the Q400 is a nice machine, but come on man thats a pretty ignorant statement. Just wondering do you or have you worked at either company?

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I wasn't looking at it as a stepping stone. More, and end game. The mistake a lot of folks in business make, is not knowing when things are going well. The commute difference alone would make me pick Porter

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

How hold are the planes at Jazz whats the average age. Whats the average age at Porter. Yes Jazz has a high salary cap, but how many years do you have to stay to get there. How many times in the last few years has Porter laid off, now compare to Jazz.....ya, I wouldnt say thats an ignorant statement to make.

Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

LegoMan wrote:How hold are the planes at Jazz whats the average age. Whats the average age at Porter. Yes Jazz has a high salary cap, but how many years do you have to stay to get there. How many times in the last few years has Porter laid off, now compare to Jazz.....ya, I wouldnt say thats an ignorant statement to make.
Well Porter has only been around for 2 years and not even close to the size of Jazz. Just because they haven't laid off in there 2 years of existance doesn't make them any less vulnerable. Yes there are some older birds at Jazz, so what? There are also some fairly new CRJs in the fleet as well. I don't see what that has to do with the quality of a company. Anyway I can see from your post here that you don't really know what your talking about, just another misinformed person jumping on the jazz bashing bandwagon.

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by countryhick »

I've been at Jazz for 9 years. One incidence of layoffs in that time. How long has Porter been in business? Jazz and its predecessor airlines have been around for a touch longer then that. With slightly more than 130 aircraft in the fleet, yes the average age is up there, but I have flown older, and really, what does it matter. Refresh my memory, how many a/c in Porters fleet now? How many flights per day does Porter operate? How many destinations? How many employees? You are going to have to come up with something better then salary and aircraft age if we are going to start comparing companies.

I'm glad to see that Porter is doing well, and I hope they continue to grow. But keep in mind they are not the only game in town, and either is Jazz. And you still have not said if you have worked at either airline LegoMan

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

I flew with a chick who used to work maintenance for Jazz in YXU. She told me all the short cuts and crappy parts they were putting in on those Dash 8s. The name alone leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many pilots and passengers. Crap service, crap pay, crap planes. The question was which would one prefer Jazz or Porter, I pick Porter.

BTW size of fleet and number of employees doesnt mean anything. The largest airlines in the world are the ones with the lowest employee morale, lowest customer satisfaction.

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

fruz wrote:Just throwing this out there.

If you had the option of going to either one of these companies which one would you choose? Lets assume your ambition is to eventually move to a bigger company like AC or Westjet down the road. What aircraft would you prefer to be on Q400 or RJ?

fruz
what experience do you have?

would you commute to YYZ or live there?

are you aware that porter has a training bond while jazz does not?

why do you think you have to leave the company you are currently at and go to either porter or jazz in order to get hired at AC or WJ?

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Jazz has a bond on their uniforms

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

it is true that new hires at jazz pay 50% of the cost of their first uniform

it is also true that if you resign before a certain time period that you are required to pay off the balance of your first uniform as it is payroll deducted

i've heard that porter has a $3000 uniform bond but that is heresay

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

mattedfred check your pm's.

fortis risk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by fortis risk »

For me It's quality of life. Jazz offers very little in that area. Crazy commutes, bitter and nasty co-workers, customers who are miserable as a result of said bitter co-workers. Porter simply offers a better culture, not only will you be happier at work but you'll be spending more time at home.

Fools take to themselves the respect that is given to their office. Aesop
Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Crazy commutes
It kind of depends on where you live, it takes me 20mins to get to my job at Jazz and would take me 6 hours to get to a job with porter.

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

fortis risk wrote:For me It's quality of life. Jazz offers very little in that area. Crazy commutes, bitter and nasty co-workers, customers who are miserable as a result of said bitter co-workers. Porter simply offers a better culture, not only will you be happier at work but you'll be spending more time at home.
Crazy commutes? It takes me 15-20 minutes to get to Pearson, in rush hour. Like many others. Do all Porter employees live close to the island? I know of many who went to Porter, some drving in from Barrie, Milton, etc...Bitter and nasty co-workers? How long has Porter been around? A little over two years. How many employees does Porter have? Other than the island, what are Porter's other bases? The most senior Pilot here at Jazz was hired in 1968, probably around the time of Austin Airways, then Air Ontario and then eventually Jazz. You're telling me that with a Pilot group that numbers over 1500, all across Canada, with varying backgrounds, that you're not going to have some nasty co-workers? I've been at Jazz just over a year now and love every minute of it. In fact, my primary reason for making the move to Jazz was for the lifestyle...so I don't have to drive too far to get to work, get lots of time off...and hey, no bond.

You mentioned the quality of lifestyle aspect, and that Jazz "offers very little in that area". When were you at Jazz. What base? It wouldn't be fair of me to make assumptions about lifestyles at Porter. My buddies who have gone there love it, although the one thing they complain about is the drive to the airport (T.O traffic can be terrib;e on a good day). I can make it to the island in about 30 minutes during rush hour

I'm sure that Porter treats their employees really well. I really hope that they do stay successful and grow. It's good for all of us, as a whole.

If anyone wants to complain about lifestyles, nasty co-workers, etc...please back it up with ACTUAL experiences, not what your "friend who works there says".

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

!

Last edited by wordstwice on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Employment Forum”