When to move on

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

When to move on

Post by ywgflyboy »

Looking to see what others have to say/have done in their careers in terms of switching carriers.

You have a job with a 703/704 carrier, when is it time to move on and jump over to a smaller 705 carrier to start logging time there? Do you hang around until you have the pic hours to do your A's, then make the move, or wait until you have a set ### amount of pic to be competitive with a big carrier (AC, WJ etc.)

Better question yet, how valuable is 705 time to big operations compared to 703/704 time? Would Westjet turn you away for having 4,000 TT (3000 of which is multi-pic) if it was all 704/704, and side with someone with half the time with 705 experience?

No doubt, everyone has/had developed their own action plan in their careers, am just hoping some will be willing to share their reasons.
---------- ADS -----------

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: When to move on

Post by Phlyer »

It all depends where you want to go.
I know for a fact that Westjet wants 1000 multi turbine pic and Air Canada wants at least 500 multi turbine pic. The truth is that you need to get that command time in order to prove to the powers that be that you can safely be trusted with their multi million dollar equipment.
I would give the advice that you stay until you have that turbine left seat time - it opens a lot of doors. If, however, you want to stay right seat for your career (and some do) then you could move earlier.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I never had a career path, never worried about hours, never considered the type of flying or aircraft.

I always took the job that had the best terms and conditions. Sometimes I didn't take a job at all because nothing was available that had decent terms and conditions (anyone remember Nav Air?).

Not saying I never took a pay cut, I just did this year. But I took a small pay cut to get better working conditions with consistent raises that will bring me back up to what I was making and far beyond that.

Don't take a pay cut so that some time down the road you'll be able to take another pay cut that will get you the experience to be able to take another pay cut to work for a major airline. Follow the money and you'll find that it gets you the experience you require.

CBSW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CBSW »

little off topic.. but i'll let fly anyways..

So many people here are focused on the end goal to justify being miserable, jaded, etc in the meantime. Because, you need to pay your dues.

I'm more about the journey to get to that end goal. Why would you want to be miserable while trying to get to the majors? I think if we as pilot chose to working conditions over hours and quick upgrades this industry would be a a far better place.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

The young pilot starts out, thinking it's all about building hours. He/she'll take whatever crap job, at whatever crap pay seems to justify the end.
The middle time pilot puts everything on "hold" to chase the big iron. Family, pride, even self worth take a back seat to the all important jump through the hoops that lead to that hallowed jet job. The privilege of strutting through the terminal building, in that totally "gay" cap, and ill fitting uniform, far outweighs the pain in the ass factor of not being home for birthdays, holidays and school plays. It's A-Okay for some, for sure, but leads to a great many divorce cases, AIDS (aviation induced divorce syndrome) for many.
The high time pilot actually "sees the light". It's really all about the life style. The days off at the lake. Seeing the kids whenever it suits them. Being there for you partner. The short commute. Working with friends, instead of numbers.
They don't teach this at the colleges, do they?

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

In the above example your high time pilot was once the mid time pilot, and in turn the mid time pilot was once the low time pilot. In many cases at least. And the cycle will repeat.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Doc wrote:The young pilot starts out, thinking it's all about building hours. He/she'll take whatever crap job, at whatever crap pay seems to justify the end.
The middle time pilot puts everything on "hold" to chase the big iron. Family, pride, even self worth take a back seat to the all important jump through the hoops that lead to that hallowed jet job. The privilege of strutting through the terminal building, in that totally "gay" cap, and ill fitting uniform, far outweighs the pain in the ass factor of not being home for birthdays, holidays and school plays. It's A-Okay for some, for sure, but leads to a great many divorce cases, AIDS (aviation induced divorce syndrome) for many.
The high time pilot actually "sees the light". It's really all about the life style. The days off at the lake. Seeing the kids whenever it suits them. Being there for you partner. The short commute. Working with friends, instead of numbers.
+1

Well said.

Teeg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Teeg »

DOC +1

it may be a conflict of interest as a flight instructor, but even now i realize you have to instill in students to enjoy the ride. even fellow instructors are chomping to get MPIC time, cause its going to get them to that coveted turbine job.

i had this discussion with a buddy today, would you turn down a turbine job, to get take a pay cut (from instructing), work a crappy sked, and never be home, all in the name of chasing the dream.........?

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Duke elegant once told me over beers when I had about 1200 hours and was just about to be cut loos on my first single turbine PIC job: "chase lifestyle, not airplanes".

I applied that advice with the subsequent 3 moves I made in the industry(to where I am today), and I dont' regret any of those choices. They were all improvements in overall employment experience and lifestyle, if not always in pay specifically. Having said that, only one of those moves was a slight pay cut, the rest were sideways moves or a raise. FWIW, that advice kept me in under-12,500lb-airplanes for much longer than most would tolerate. I didn't get into a twin turbo prop until I had almost 4000 hrs. Everyone wants that next bigger airplane. But while my many of my contemporaries from flight school were earning 24K in the right seat of a king air(or whatever), I earned a good salary, and was happy with the companies I worked for.

to answer the O.P, I think only you can make that decision. Take in all the information from folks you talk to, and make a decision that works for you. And, as some have already said, enjoy the journey.

CBSW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CBSW »

doc!!!!

Thanks for making my point a little more clear.. 12 pm post FAIL! You hit the nail on the head..I've learned this lesson the hard way sadly..

Im all about company culture, treatment of employees, ENJOYING COMING TO WORK, where I'm living, learning lots .. and learning the " right way to do things," days off and enjoying the ride.. As opposed to hours and the fastest way to a " gay pilot hat." Who the F&^*K needs that anyways. Does this make me lazy?

You look at some guys at " time building companies" and they have less satisfaction with their jobs..

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

Doc wrote:They don't teach this at the colleges, do they?
Actually, I do. But this is a nice summary.

tailwind
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tailwind »

Doc wrote:The young pilot starts out, thinking it's all about building hours. He/she'll take whatever crap job, at whatever crap pay seems to justify the end.

Where do you work... I want in. Well said.
Cheers

Return to “Employment Forum”