North Cariboo is Head Hunting

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

North Cariboo is Head Hunting

Post by Doc »

Only hiring pilots with current PPC's? Call it what it is. Head Hunting. The very reason pilots are being screwed by companies into paying huge sums of money for jobs, and signing unrealistic bonds. It's not because the pilots screw the companies who trained them, it's companies like North Cariboo, advertising for "current PPC's" doing the screwing here. NCA....really piss poor show.
Now before I get flamed by some of you with comments like...."they can hire anybody they want.....etc...", of course they can. The question is, should they? With all the horse shit pissing and moaning about pilots screwing companies and bringing these "bonds" on themselves, one must ask.....are they really?
---------- ADS -----------

Sea2Sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: North Cariboo is Head Hunting

Post by Sea2Sky »

Come on, now! You're making excuses for pilots who make their own decisions. Don't blame a company who's fishing for somebody who may be unhappy or ready to move on. Sure, some a-holes will take the money and run, but this sort of head hunting is what keeps other companies honest. I suppose, though, if we can blame McDonald's for making coffee too hot when it spills on a driver's crotch, we may as well blame a company for seeking a current PPC.

If nobody were to leave with time left on a PPC, wouldn't we in effect be signing 2 year contracts at the time of training? What about somebody who has put a number of years into a company, earned their training, but decides to move on with their life? A PPC is a tool, and there's nothing wrong with using it if it was earned.

Why's it doing that? No, THAT!
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well, I am going to play the devil's advocate here. I have had some experience with NCA in the past, and unless the very senior management has changed they are a reputable company.
It is October. And the busy oil season is just gearing up, so if they are short a few pilots, they might just be trying to shorten the window to get them online before the winter boom hits.
At least I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

As to people jumping ship, I know of one slime ball that walked from their company to Jazz two weeks after he got his Dash 8 PPC...and no bond.

Anyway, if that is not the case here that this is a time thing, I guess it means the bar is dropping. Not sure I would invest any money into anyone who applied for a job with less than about 6 months on their current PPC. If they did it to their last employer, it is reasonable to expect them to do it to you.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

There is 1 simple solution. It’s called non-transferable PPC. The only thing that would then count is if you had time on type. Then all companies would still have to suffer the required training costs.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

If you arrive with a current PPC why do you they make you sign a 1 year bond ?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:If you arrive with a current PPC why do you they make you sign a 1 year bond ?
:lol:

No, they stick you on the ramp. :wink:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Double Wasp
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Double Wasp »

godsrcrazy wrote:There is 1 simple solution. It’s called non-transferable PPC. The only thing that would then count is if you had time on type. Then all companies would still have to suffer the required training costs.

Gods while I do not agree with everything you post I agree with this. It would solve a lot of problems from both the pilot's and the employer's point of view.

Cheers
DW

When it stops leakin oil then you worry.
Sea2Sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sea2Sky »

godsrcrazy wrote:There is 1 simple solution. It’s called non-transferable PPC. The only thing that would then count is if you had time on type. Then all companies would still have to suffer the required training costs.
I'm not sure I see the point. Okay, so companies stop asking for valid PPCs and now have to pay for a new hire to get PPCd.

1) The company that loses a pilot with time on type still has to retrain a replacement;
2) The hiring company now has higher training costs, which have to come from somewhere. This is going to lead to more bonds/promissary notes/contractual obligations

So, unless company-specific contracts actually reduce the number of people jumping ship, it will only serve to cost everybody more (double-dip effect: the balance of the PPC is effectively being paid for twice).

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

Doc wrote:Only hiring pilots with current PPC's? Call it what it is. Head Hunting. The very reason pilots are being screwed by companies into paying huge sums of money for jobs, and signing unrealistic bonds. It's not because the pilots screw the companies who trained them, it's companies like North Cariboo, advertising for "current PPC's" doing the screwing here. NCA....really piss poor show.
Now before I get flamed by some of you with comments like...."they can hire anybody they want.....etc...", of course they can. The question is, should they? With all the horse shit pissing and moaning about pilots screwing companies and bringing these "bonds" on themselves, one must ask.....are they really?

Due to experienced guys leaving and contrail requirements for time on type. Usually guys with a ppc on type are required.

Not saying it's right but that's why.

There are people being hired without a ppc to!

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

whiteguy wrote:
Doc wrote:Only hiring pilots with current PPC's? Call it what it is. Head Hunting. The very reason pilots are being screwed by companies into paying huge sums of money for jobs, and signing unrealistic bonds. It's not because the pilots screw the companies who trained them, it's companies like North Cariboo, advertising for "current PPC's" doing the screwing here. NCA....really piss poor show.

Due to experienced guys leaving and contrail requirements for time on type. Usually guys with a ppc on type are required.

I keep forgetting about bloody Contrail. Sure glad we don't let third parties call the shots in our neck of the woods. The airline, not the customer's hired guns decide who shall fly what, to where. As it should be. Contrail is like a bad smell. It's easier to live with than to take the steps required to make it go away.
My vote would be to abolish the whole PPC fiasco. While we're on the subject of bad smells.....

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Doc wrote: While we're on the subject of bad smells.....

Hoov
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hoov »

That picture is hilarious!

I carry my crucifix
Under my deathlist
Forward my mail to me in hell
Liars and the martyrs
Lost faith in The Father
Long lost in the wishing well

Wild side
Sea2Sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sea2Sky »

I don't even want to know where one finds a picture like that... hilarious!

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

His mom took it of him as a kid......he really loved that dog.....

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Doc wrote:
I keep forgetting about bloody Contrail. Sure glad we don't let third parties call the shots in our neck of the woods. The airline, not the customer's hired guns decide who shall fly what, to where. As it should be. Contrail is like a bad smell. It's easier to live with than to take the steps required to make it go away.
My vote would be to abolish the whole PPC fiasco. While we're on the subject of bad smells.....
I know people have mixed feelings about Contrail, but it's nothing new. Flight departments have been audited by 3rd party "experts" for decades by large companies that are procuring charter services. I don't know much about Contrail and how "expert" this organization is, but if I am a large company and have my people flown around by a an outside aviation provider, and I don't know much about aviation, then I will hire a third party to advise me. It's just smart business. And Doc, I'm not sure where your neck of the woods is, but I am sure that somewhere, sometime, probably within a few hundred clicks from you, there are third parties auditing charter companies in your region of this vast country. But I digress...

The non transferable PPC is an answer, as long as Type ratings remain transferrable. But as a previous poster said, it will drive up costs, and I am sure we would be the ones to pay the price.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

Doc wrote:
whiteguy wrote:

It's also good to note if you look at the ads, they are requirements for Devon. A lot of companies are now coming up with their own hour requirements which are higher than Contrail.

It is frustrating to see these requirements when hours in the logbook sometimes mean nothing if you can't fly a plane. It has been proven before!

Anthropomorphized
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Anthropomorphized »

The bonds can be blamed equally on the companies that use them and the pilots that are affected by them. Its no secret that most aviation companies blame the pilots for leaving even though they provide poor pay, treatment, schedule etc. and are pretty much holding the door open pushing the crews away. At the same time pilots apply at these companies accept the jobs then start sending out resumes cause they got a type rating now and want a better job.

In any case, I wouldn't be so quick to hang NCA. There is nothing wrong with hiring PPC`d (experienced) people. Its not like they are wheeling in to the other company's parking lot in a full size van blaring Master of Puppets and kidnapping their typed pilot. They can only hire the people who apply, so maybe that person should be scrutinized a little more. If no one applies then they might have to resort to initial training, which I'm sure they would have no problem doing.

I think the overlying issue with bonds is a general lack of morality in both parties concerned, and can be contributed in lager part to a society that is getting far too self serving.

That's it.

Pandy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pandy »

+1

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

whiteguy wrote: It's also good to note if you look at the ads, they are requirements for Devon. A lot of companies are now coming up with their own hour requirements which are higher than Contrail.

It is frustrating to see these requirements when hours in the logbook sometimes mean nothing if you can't fly a plane. It has been proven before!
WTF is Devon? Anyone have a scale to post?

TIA

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.
Zapp Brannigan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Devon is an oil company. Contrail has just become a term to describe the hour requirements set up by a consulting company that no longer exists from what I have heard. The requirements have stuck with most oil and gas companies charter.

I can see why whoever charter demands certain hrs for pilots. The problem is we are getting drained at the charter level. I can't blame anyone for leaving for the airlines or other non-hour-required jobs as upgrades will never happen for most guys unless you fly a king air.

And hrs in a logbook mean nothing about a pilots ability or experience for that matter. The PIC from instructing goes a lot further than the co-pilot time on a dash if you want to fly a KA as captain for an oilfield charter company.

Return to “Employment Forum”