Carson Metro

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Carson Metro

Post by AJV »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=79651

At least we don't have to ask around about the pay.
---------- ADS -----------

black metal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Carson Metro

Post by black metal »

it is what is but take everything on here with a grain of salt! great guys to fly with and quick upgrades!!

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

I've never lived out West so I don't know much about it but is $21,500 even enough to live on? Can't be.

jetpilot69
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jetpilot69 »

Pilots are so stupid. The dumbest bastards alive. Only the dumbest pilots would apply. I would punch those fuckers in the head if they paid me that.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

jetpilot69 wrote:Pilots are so stupid. The dumbest bastards alive. Only the dumbest pilots would apply. I would punch those fuckers in the head if they paid me that.
+ 1 !

I imagine there would also be a ridiculous bond to go along with that "extraordinary" wage.

And now we dive even deeper into the shitter.

jetpilot69
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jetpilot69 »

You would think twice about working at mcdonolds for that wage but flying a plane is really fun I guess.

pile_it
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pile_it »

skybaron wrote:
I imagine there would also be a ridiculous bond to go along with that "extraordinary" wage.

You would be correct. 2 years for the metro II. How many companies do you know that bond 2 years for a 703 machine????

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

pile_it wrote:
skybaron wrote:

You would be correct. 2 years for the metro II. How many companies do you know that bond 2 years for a 703 machine????
You know you work for a top notch air operator when the bond is bigger than the yearly salary :rolleyes:

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Hey Rowdy: If we didn't have the Voyageurs and Carson Airs to flame, what we do?

It would be a boring web site for sure. :lol:

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Chaxterium wrote:I've never lived out West so I don't know much about it but is $21,500 even enough to live on? Can't be.
Ya...Ouch. Maybe if you had no student loans, zero personal debt, lived in a 5 bedroom crew house, took the bus or rode your bike, had a pay as you go phone, no girlfriend, you didn't drink, and your idea of a good time was reading the back of a generic box of cereal and playing Pong?

After taxes, you're talking about $1,400 a month in one of Canada's most expensive cities.

Pilots are their own worst enemies! If everybody refused this job and shit pay, Carson would be forced to up the ante.

But as you can see from all of their Metros buzzing around, pilots love to BBQ their young with lots of HP and Bullseye.

Yum yum!

whoop_whoop
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whoop_whoop »

What's EI nowadays? $467/week * 52= $24,284

Costs you money to work...how about that!

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AJV »

Lost Lake wrote:After taxes, you're talking about $1,400 a month in one of Canada's most expensive cities.
Funny you should say that, I saw an article on yahoo yesterday and it states that Vancouver IS the most expensive city in North America.......

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

From their "about us" section:
Carson Air Ltd. strategically operates in a “niche” marketplace in a “critical time environment” and consistently delivers a very high level of SAFE SERVICE performance. The company has strong relationships with all partners and provides a level of service that exceeds the performance in the marketplace. We presently employ more than one hundred people and service over fifteen Western Canadian cities daily under dedicated cargo contracts and service all accessible communities in B.C. under dedicated medevac contracts. Our fleet consists of over fifteen Metro’s, four King Air 350’s and flight school training aircraft. The company has bases in Vancouver, Kelowna and Calgary. Carson Air Ltd. has a well defined corporate growth strategy and looks forward to new opportunities.
F*cking Laughable!

Safe Service?
Pilot's are on poverty wages. Combine that bag of shit with their personal issues (finances, divorces, starvation), - setting the standard for a safe air operation all around. TC should give Carson a reward for their exceptional SMS strategy. Recall the Dash 8 crash in Buffalo a few years back... the crew were exhausted, poor, and probably on food stamps.

growth strategy
No brainer here. Exceed revenue expectations by skimping on salaries.

Well done Carson!

PieInTheSky
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PieInTheSky »

Sometimes coming on avcanada forums turns into the most depressing part of my day. It's either you guys nattering on about us low time pilots being dumb as bricks for accepting a job where the pay is less than desirable, or you guys nattering on about the high and mighty low time pilots who won't accept a job where the pay doesn't seem fair.

At least pick just one, for the sake of consistency.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

It took me 1 1/2 years in the "Big wheeled plane" world to realize, I make more in 2 1/2 months in the bush business as captain than I coould in a year as a flexible orifice at Carson. The Carsons of this world know that some young guy/gal, in debt up to his ass will jump in with 2 feet to build time towards their ATPL/left seat. Too many pilots, not enough jobs. Kind of wierd that universities restrict enrolment in medicine which is understaffed, and will take anyone in an aviation course which is overstaffed.

Don't blame employers, blame the schools that continue to pump out commercial pilots with no regard for the student's employment opportunities. Maybe every wannabe commercial pilot should read Lipsy Sparks and Steiner's book of economics. Pricing is based on supply and demand. Things will never change until aspiring commercial pilots are better educated on their employment opportunities.

Don't blame Carson, I congradulate them. They know the market is saturated and pilots will do anything and work anywhere if it gets them hours. They are a for profit organization. Raise rates and lose customers (supply and demand) or hire a wannabe for nothing (sdupply and demand). Grade 8 math!!

WileyCoyote
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WileyCoyote »

So can anyone tell me why my tax dollars are subsidizing certain Ontario flight programs? I wonder how someone with debt affords that kind of wage. It's embarrassing what people will work for just to fly an airplane. It's actually scary the lack of self respect. Maybe we should cut the Ontario school funding and require a couple hundred hours to instruct. That should ease the supply problem a bit.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

AJV wrote:viewtopic.php?f=7&t=79651

At least we don't have to ask around about the pay.
I applied, found out what they pay was, laughed as I hung up the phone. Apparently the bond is something like 22k for the Metro, and I needed 500 hours of multi time to be qualified for the job. The chief pilot seemed pretty gung-ho about the 500 hour time requirement. Not sure if it was because they were looking for quick upgrades?

A funny story, a person who is a Captain over at CMA now got a job offer with these guys a few years ago, and when they told him what he would be making he told them to basically go and (beeep) them selves. They called back 2 hours later offering the same job with a 6k increase. His response was the same. They call back the next day saying they would offer a direct entry captain spot with a 12k increase. He ended up telling them that a company that has room for a 12k increase in pay but initially offers the pay that turns him off must be a scum-bag of an operation and told them the latter once again.

While I know of some great guys who have gone the system at Carson, you are being whored out and are being made an example of. Not sure why any one would settle for a job like this, but then again, I don't know why I settled for making 1000 bucks one winter month as an instructor, where even on KD I was broke. :lol:

Mind you I'm happy where I am now and looking back at it it makes me appreciate my position so much more these days.

ybwflyguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ybwflyguy »

loopa wrote: While I know of some great guys who have gone the system at Carson, you are being whored out and are being made an example of. Not sure why any one would settle for a job like this, but then again, I don't know why I settled for making 1000 bucks one winter month as an instructor, where even on KD I was broke. :lol:

Mind you I'm happy where I am now and looking back at it it makes me appreciate my position so much more these days.
Every time I come on AvCan these days it's the same friggin' post.

Not a personal attack but Jesus, change the record. You instructed, then went Co-Jo on a King Air, congratulations - no need to hijack every thread with the Cindarella story.

Back to the thread...

Known some great guys who've worked at Carson, none had 500 Multi when they got taken on, more like 300+. All either got an upgrade and/or moved on quickly to better things. Lots of turbine time, and get to live in a big city - the pay sucks, only those who can afford it should apply (same as instructing in that regard). Haven't heard anything about the new CP, but seems like things are set to stay the same.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

loopa wrote:A funny story, a person who is a Captain over at CMA now got a job offer with these guys a few years ago, and when they told him what he would be making he told them to basically go and (beeep) them selves.
I think it is a "funny story"... High and mighty CMA? Give your head a shake! Knowing what CMA pays 1900 pics and Carson pays metro pics is basically a wash and you might end up ahead on per diems with Carson. Plus you don't put up with any shit from pax or CSRs, don't have to shave or iron your shirt and get a mid day nap in the hotel every day. If you are a 350 pic with Carson I'd say you are well ahead of what you're doing at CMA... Besides Carson wasn't hiring any direct entry captains a few years ago... If it is FO conditions you are comparing pleeeaase! CMA is down at the bottom on this too and probably had to work the ramp... I call BS on your "funny story."

CMA, bond and shit pay, NT Air, bond and shit pay, Carson Air, bond and shit pay... your all in the sh!t trenches there boys so quit throwing it cause you end up with more of it on your own shirt...

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Nope not high and mighty CMA, both of them are in the same pay scale. Not sure where you took my funny story of saying no to Carson as a means that CMA is golden in comparison? You don't find it interesting that he said no to Carson but Yes to CMA? Practically the same thing with regards to pay as you say. Although I'm not so sure about CMA guys sleeping in the back of the plane. I guess his onus was more to get on the B1900 getting time with EFIS and etc. Something that you also would get on the King Air 350.
I call BS on your "funny story."
This buddy of mine was one of the guys that was hired as a direct entry Captain at CMA on the 1900. Better or worse, that's for him to decide.
Known some great guys who've worked at Carson, none had 500 Multi when they got taken on, more like 300+.

Likewise, not sure what your experience was speaking with the hiring staff but the last round of hiring they were very limited to the 500 hour requirement probably because of your comment about quick upgrades and etc. And if you got the sarcasm in my post about instructing you would have understood that as a pilot group, we will justify anything for low pay. In my case it was the PIC hours and an entry level job, for you and other's it may be the turbine time and moving on quick. In the case of the boys at CMA, it's moving on to one of the big boys.

If I would of ended my post with "To each his own" I'm sure you guys wouldn't of gotten the equal of a coffee rush this morning. Gah! :rolleyes:

Have a great day you guys!

Fly Safe.

Last edited by loopa on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Employment Forum”