Trans Maldivian

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FltDrvr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Trans Maldivian

Post by FltDrvr »

Hey Fellas,

Just looking for some information on the Trans Maldivian and the Maldives, other than the country just ousting its president.

They seem to have begun bonding pilots to work for them. When did this start? Why did this start? I understand some pilots don't hold up to some agreements and ruin it for others, but $12,000 for the first year? $6000 for the next?

With regards to recently opening up the doors to Expats for FO's, do they intend to keep these FO's as FO's as long as possible or do they look to upgrade them. Politics... that kind of thing... ? Once you meet their requirements are you just like anybody else? Do you need an ATPL?

The rotations aren't what they used to be. No more rotating 3 in 1 out, 6 in 1 out. Looks like its 1 month out a year... What happened? Or was this normal?

I've spoken to some, and they say the moral is at an all time high. Others say these new hires are used for different reasons.

I'm just looking for some honest information from some credible sources. I'd like to get a feel for whats going on. Keep the bashing at a minimum please.

Thanks for your time
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by FltDrvr on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Trans Maldivian

Post by Rowdy »

I;m curious too? When did they stop offering rotations? Why the bonds? I guess the lack of KBA influence over there has seriously changed the scene.

Anyone currently over there able to explain? Enquiring minds want to know

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Not sure where you are getting your info from but TMA doesn't require a bond and they are still offering rotations. They have just hired 7 expat copilots and are presently looking to fill that last 3 slots with females. If anyone is interested contact them.

Maldivian Air Taxi is requiring a 2 year $20,000 bond and of course they have people agreeing to it so looks that will be the future.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MAT's policy is to hire locals as f/o's. They had to borrow just to get their license. Are they going to have to pay the bond as well?

The dives just keeps getting wierder

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

MAT just hired a bunch of expat Copilots who signed the 2 year bond. Don't know anything about the deal for locals.

darbel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darbel »

I had a telephone interview with TMA about a month ago. They told me it was a $12,500 2 year training bond, and FO's start at $900/month. They also told me to shave my beard????? I was confused and not so interested after these facts.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Darbel, I believe you're incorrect on the wages. A couple of my close sources have indicated that it was over 2k/month in wages for FO's. However I have been informed of the rumour that there is now a bond and there are no more rotations for FO's. Can someone with actual info confirm this? I don't know anyone at TMA anymore.. solely the boys in the Orange and Black twins across the lagoon.

If thats the case, they will have more difficulty attracting qualified candidates.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

The good news is if the polar caps keep melting and the ocean rises 1 meter, problem solved!

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Well I just left there 5 days ago and the CP told me they will pay 3 return airfares per year home. Can't imagine it has all changed in 5 days. I guess if they can get someone to accept a year round contract then there is no reason to offer rotations.

darbel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darbel »

I'm just going by what they told me. They said FO's range from $900-2200/ month. They also told me there are 3 round trip flights paid for, and I thing the rotation was 1 month on 2 weeks off. The rotation may be incorrect, I can't remember that part. The bond was definetley 2 years though. They also asked me lots of questions about my family, and family heritage. I understand why they asked the questions, but it was still a little weird.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Would anyone know the minimums for an Expat F/O?

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

darbel wrote: They also asked me lots of questions about my family, and family heritage. I understand why they asked the questions, but it was still a little weird.
What sort of questions? The only thing I can think of is the Muslim thing, so they might not like gays or jews there - is that it?

MAT FLIGHT OPS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MAT FLIGHT OPS »

FOs wanted for positions as Senior FOs/Captains Upgrade candidates with Maldivian Air Taxi - one of the worlds largest operators of Twin Otters on floats - flying 365 days a year in the sunny Maldives in the Indian Ocean.

Join the ranks of the barefeet pilots and upgrade in a year or so! We need 2 Senior FOs every 2 months and we just hired 10 medium low time FOs.

MINIMUMS – 2,500 hours TT, ICAO CPL MEIR, Single Engine Sea, SES, and preferably ATPL* (or willing to get ATPL within a year).

Do NOT apply without having 2,500 hours TT and a SES! Multi Engine Sea not required. Seaplane experience a plus but not a must!

ICAO 1st class unrestricted medical.

Good references, excellent work record and superior flying skills. Get the job done attitude required. Swimming skills required. You may have to swim to the aircraft in the morning!

Company paid training and type rating and a 2 year agreement/bond – to be renewed at upgrade. In other words - to avoid misunderstandings: you do not pay anything unless you leave before time. Upgrade requires 3,500 hours TT, 1,000 hours on floats and minimum 500 hours on the DHC-6 on floats. Captains welcome to apply also.

Tickets and accommodation paid for - normal rotation 3 months on - 1 month off
ID tickets on CONDOR - and other airlines in progress.
50-60 dutyhour workweek and 90-100 hours of flying per 28 days GUARANTEED!
We do work A LOT but it is the best flying in the world!
Nice, clean, refurbished DHC-6 fleet with Wipline 13000 floats, Aspen 1000 PFDs, Garmin 530/430/330ES stack incl TAS. Probably the finest Twin Otter fleet in the world!

Please check http://www.maldivianairtaxi.com, FILL OUT THE APPLICATION FORM and mail to hr@maldivianairtaxi.com and to lasse@maldivianairtaxi.com.

* The company will pay up to USD 6,000 as a contribution towards the ATPL added to the 2 year bond.

Last edited by MAT FLIGHT OPS on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

2500 TTH for an F/O??? Seriously????? Really???? Do we need a NASA Space Shuttle Rating as well???? WTF!!

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

looks like they require some of these...
Captains Upgrade candidates
I did like the part about swimming out to the plane in the morning though...

MAT FLIGHT OPS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MAT FLIGHT OPS »

Sky_Conqueror wrote:2500 TTH for an F/O??? Seriously????? Really???? Do we need a NASA Space Shuttle Rating as well???? WTF!!
The ad is for FOs that we can upgrade in a year or so. We do also hire FOs fresh out of flight school but we do not have to advertise for those...

I intended the ad to reflect that it is Captain Upgrade Candidates we want like angry inch is correctly stating and to me it does that. Do let me know if you think it needs rewording?

Thanks, Lasse

Happy Barefoot Pilot ;-)

MAT FLIGHT OPS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MAT FLIGHT OPS »

Captains wanted for positions with Maldivian Air Taxi - one of the worlds largest operators of Twin Otters on floats - flying 365 days a year in the sunny Maldives in the Indian Ocean.

Join the ranks of the barefeet pilots!

MINIMUMS – 3,500 hours TT, 1,000 TT on floats, 500 TT on DHC-6 on floats. ICAO ATP

ICAO 1st class unrestricted medical.

Good references, excellent work record and superior flying skills. Get the job done attitude required. Swimming skills required. You may have to swim to the aircraft in the morning!

Tickets and accommodation paid for - normal rotation 3 months on - 1 month off. Other rotations available.
ID tickets on CONDOR - and other airlines in progress.
50-60 dutyhour workweek and 90-100 hours of flying per 28 days GUARANTEED!
We do work A LOT but it is the best flying in the world!
Nice, clean, refurbished DHC-6 fleet with Wipline 13000 floats, Aspen 1000 PFDs, Garmin 530/430/330ES stack incl TAS. Probably the finest Twin Otter fleet in the world!

Forget everything you make have heard about flying floats in the Maldives. Things have changed! Ask around if you want.

Please check http://www.maldivianairtaxi.com, FILL OUT THE APPLICATION FORM and mail to hr@maldivianairtaxi.com and to lasse@maldivianairtaxi.com.

Thanks

zeppelin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zeppelin »

"get the job done attitude required"......I thought that attitude went out the window years ago...I don't think I'll take my family to the Maldives for a vacation as long as Lasse is barking out the orders..Woof Woof....

MAT FLIGHT OPS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MAT FLIGHT OPS »

zeppelin wrote:"get the job done attitude required"......I thought that attitude went out the window years ago...I don't think I'll take my family to the Maldives for a vacation as long as Lasse is barking out the orders..Woof Woof....
What is wrong with that?

zeppelin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zeppelin »

Think about it !!!! Woof Woof

Return to “Employment Forum”