Trans Maldivian

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

MAT FLIGHT OPS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Trans Maldivian

Post by MAT FLIGHT OPS »

zeppelin wrote:Think about it !!!! Woof Woof
I have done that now.

So here we are at Kanuhuraa in the morning and the dinghy outboard won't start. The guy with the "get the job done" attitude goes swimming. The other guy waits for somebody to come to the rescue.

Or the overnight buoy ropes are tangled. The guy with the attitude fixes it and the other one puts it on the fixed platform.

The CA is getting his lunch. The "guy" loads the luggage.

And on and on and on...

Woof :drink:
---------- ADS -----------

CJ3PILOT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CJ3PILOT »

MAT FLIGHT OPS wrote:
I have done that now.

So here we are at Kanuhuraa in the morning and the dinghy outboard won't start. The guy with the "get the job done" attitude goes swimming. The other guy waits for somebody to come to the rescue.

Or the overnight buoy ropes are tangled. The guy with the attitude fixes it and the other one puts it on the fixed platform.

The CA is getting his lunch. The "guy" loads the luggage.

And on and on and on...

Woof :drink:
Well it could be a nice swim. But I've seen sharks at the end of the docks there..but get the job done I guess.

zeppelin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zeppelin »

...hey,your absolutely correct in giving those types of examples...I was referring to the "git er done"attitude towards weather..or any other safety issue..Me thinks that maybe English is not your mother language so all is forgiven and since you show a Viking hat,of which I am part,I'll share a beer anyday with you "Skol" ....If the dingy motor won't start while in a strong westerly,don't let it drift away...It might hit my boat...I'm not that far away....

Nordo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Nordo »

What kind of wages are they paying the Captains at TMA??

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

MAT job ad states: Get the job done attitude required

That is Maldivian slang for "Don't mind being beaten like a rented mule on a daily basis"

TMA Captain salaries vary depending on Licensing and Flight Experience. They start around $150 or $180 US per day and tops at $300 US per day. You are paid everyday in country regardless of scheduled days off or time off and there is no tax system so $300 per day/ 30 days in the month equals $9000 US deposited into your account.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

MAT FLIGHT OPS wrote:
I have done that now.

That's what I like about MAT!! 2 years ago, the boat didn't work at kanahura then either. Rather than fix the problem, they expect captains to jump in the ocean, swim to the plane, hope their f/o can also swim that far to help untie the plane, Then the pilots get to fly around all days covered in sea salt, cause they have 18 sectors to complete! GET ER DONE!!

Come on Lasse, you guys can't keep expat pilots because of the company's attitude like above. In your ad, do you also mention that expat f/o's have to share a room with a maldivian cabin attendant, contrary to Canadian employment standards? Good luck to the female f/o's. Me thinks things haven't changed that much. :roll:

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

There were some interesting experiences for the expat cojoes sharing rooms with the cabin attendants while I was there. They seem to not mind staying up till 4am chatting on their mobiles as they can sleep through the flights next day, unlike the FO who had to fly 12 legs in marginal wx, and big swell.

MAT FLIGHT OPS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MAT FLIGHT OPS »

Lost Lake wrote:
MAT FLIGHT OPS wrote:
I have done that now.

That's what I like about MAT!! 2 years ago, the boat didn't work at kanahura then either. Rather than fix the problem, they expect captains to jump in the ocean, swim to the plane, hope their f/o can also swim that far to help untie the plane, Then the pilots get to fly around all days covered in sea salt, cause they have 18 sectors to complete! GET ER DONE!!

Come on Lasse, you guys can't keep expat pilots because of the company's attitude like above. In your ad, do you also mention that expat f/o's have to share a room with a maldivian cabin attendant, contrary to Canadian employment standards? Good luck to the female f/o's. Me thinks things haven't changed that much. :roll:
Hey

Saltwater is good for your skin! :?

No seriously. Lots of stuff has happened in 2 years. We have fixed and we do fix problems all the time but as you correctly indicate there has been a lot to change and we are not all the way there yet. Should you extraordinarily have to go swimming which very rarely happens these days as we DO fix problems - you may use the new showers in the new building housing the new crewroom and the new canteen and the new offices etc. Perfect? No - not at all. But we are working on it and I still say that this can be and hopefully will be the best place to fly in the world. And that you must admit. The flying is AWESOME!

And we do now request 3 rooms for every shutdown. Do we always get that. No - but we have started the process and as you know these tiny resort islands are pretty full most days.

Do ask guys that have been here recently if things haven't changed! The fleet, the maintenance, the operation etc etc etc. YES - we do work a lot but those are the terms. Some love it - some loose it...

And we have hundreds of applications so... Anyway - what has Canadian Employment Standards got to do with anything in the Maldives or any where else for that matter? Funny fact is that everything anyone knows down here about aviation and how to operate primarily comes from Canada! Nobody here knew anything about flying floatplanes till MAT started operations almost 20 years ago - all based on Canadian expertise! :shock:

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Anyway - what has Canadian Employment Standards got to do with anything in the Maldives or any where else for that matter?

Since I was born and raised in Canada, I have come to expect a certain life style. I have worked in 3rd world countries, and yet, we enjoyed as normal a home and work life as possible. It is called attracting and keeping staff. Your statement almost implies that because we decide to work there, that we have to accept substandard living conditions.

As for hundreds of resumes, I'm sure you do have, however, I wonder how many have the right experience.

I must admit, i do miss the warm weather, and the great bunch of pilots I've met. You can keep the monsoon seasons though. I know you guys have cleaned up your maintenance department and are doing a good job there. Hopefully, the operations side will improve. Also, get the government to change it's liquor permit requirement. Nothing like a cold beer in your apartment after a long hot day.

Good luck at MAT. I had some good times and some not so good.If I
get furloughed or layed off, I'll send a resume.

darbel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darbel »

[What sort of questions? The only thing I can think of is the Muslim thing, so they might not like gays or jews there - is that it?]

Just a few questions about my family background, very specific though. How many siblings, what my family heritage is, marital status etc... No questions about sexual preference, they were just beating around the bush to see if I have a strong religious background.

canam2000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canam2000 »

I was a copilot at MAT many many years back and it appears that things have changed....but i wouldn't agree for the better. Yes, it was a Canadian company that set that standard 20 years ago.....but things should have evolved over that time? You can't blame that Canadian expertise for todays problems, the only place to point a finger is squarely on the accountant able executive that keeps the place going. They set and change contracts over the years, they are the ones that set the standard of life for all employees at the company. They are the ones who have the ability to start those changes and keep the ball rolling. If that person doesn't want to change the company, then it simply won't!

My sources you may ask: I still have a lot friends that fly there for both companies, some go every year on only contract, some never returned. The float flying community is quite small, its not difficult to stay in the loop!

To summarize the rumour network (MAT),
-you work 100hrs every month(9 months a year), its not the place to move your family, heavy pressure from the "the top," not only in flight ops but in maintenance aswell, and then your pay-cheque has problems every month!

What a pilot atually hears,
-"work like a rented mule" (quote from CLguy...thanks for that, its a beauty), see your family for 3 months/yr., fly in shit weather with bad airplanes, and fight to get paid. (regardless of its actually true or not, thats what we hear)

MAT FLIGHT OPS, I admire your enthusiasm to try and change things over there but arguing with pilots on AvCanada is the wrong way to try and change things, and in my opinion, unprofessional. A simple word, RESPECT, goes along way. Not only for crew but all your employees .... As much as "management" at all company hates pilots, and for good reason sometimes, they are necessary and everyone deserves RESPECT. Retention of pilots is a wonderful thing for everyone, but if you don't want it.....well I think the company already figured that one out.

I don't know a ton about how TMA works, but the guys I do know that are there quite enjoy it! Sounds like they keep things simple, the pay is on time and without hassle, your days off are right in line, and you still work a good amount every month! I'm sure there quite a few problems there swell but ya don't hear anything about them really because MAT is the talk of the town. I think TMA is the way to go by the sounds of it in Maldives....MAT sounds like there are still a lot issues to work through and maybe down the road they will be a better company but not now. Either way, I'm done with float flying as a career strictly due to these factors...loved every minute of every flight! hmmm maybe when i retire.

Final thought : If you want employees to care about a company, the company has to care about the employees!! RESPECT!!

CJ3PILOT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CJ3PILOT »

I heard they crashed another one Wednesday.

canam2000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canam2000 »

your kidding??????? another one???? this gotta be an april fools thing....if not, RUN!

david_351
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by david_351 »

Sorry to bump an old thread, does anyone know whether or not TMA hires expat AME's? What kind of rotations/pay would they offer if so? Pms welcome!

thanks in advance

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Apply!!! Pilots are a dime a dozen, AME's are worth their weight in gold!! or sea shells in the Maldives

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

is it really a 24k bond? how much do you pay the Expats capt/FO

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

I think this thread should be renamed Maldivian Air Taxi since 90% of it has nothing to do with TMA.

Road Trip
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Road Trip »

rigpiggy wrote:is it really a 24k bond? how much do you pay the Expats capt/FO
Actually it's a $48,000 bond. It's $24,000 to start and for some crazy reason it's renewed when you upgrade to captain. So $24,000 as FO and then if you upgrade 2 years later it's renewed again at and additional $24,000.

For $48,000 could you buy a A320 or similiar type rating??

Return to “Employment Forum”