AirSprint Fleet Transition

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: AirSprint Fleet Transition

Post by AirSprint HR »

FlyingClimber wrote:Hi James,

Couple questions for you. What is the average flight time per year, for pilots? And is there some plans for a bigger aircraft than a CJ2 in Montreal in the future?

Thanks for your time.
The average flight time per year right now is 380 hours. Our pilots are on reserve 234 days per year and of this they average 146 days flying/training/on layover. Our planes don't really have bases and XL/S pilots are able to be based in Montreal as well.

Regards,

James
---------- ADS -----------

FlyingClimber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyingClimber »

Thank you very much for the info and the reply that quick, it all sounds really good.

Avcanades
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Avcanades »

Hi to all,

Any info on the hiring status by this time @ AirSprint ?

Thank you

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

Avcanades wrote:Hi to all,

Any info on the hiring status by this time @ AirSprint ?

Thank you
Just hired one Captain for the CJ2+. Expect to hire 3 to 5 pilots (Captains/First Officers) over next 4-5 months.

Regards,

AirSprint HR

Avcanades
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Avcanades »

Oh thanks to Airsprint HR for this quick info.

little more precision : Somthing expected in YUL ?

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

Avcanades wrote:Oh thanks to Airsprint HR for this quick info.

little more precision : Somthing expected in YUL ?
Don't know right now where future positions will be required.

Regards,

AirSprint HR

Avcanades
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Avcanades »

Dear Airsprint HR member,

I'm wondering what is the best way to be informed when a pilot position will pop-up @ Airsprint ?

thank you very much.

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

Avcanades wrote:Dear Airsprint HR member,

I'm wondering what is the best way to be informed when a pilot position will pop-up @ Airsprint ?

thank you very much.
Good question. My quick answer is to monitor Avcanada once a week or so and that way you will see when we post. That seems kind of inadequate though considering the technology that is available today. We'll do something with social media in addition to Avcanada... Don't know what yet but you will have the ability to subscribe to our page and we'll post updates when we are hiring. LinkedIn is probably the place. Timeline? Sometime in the next few months.

AirSprint HR

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

We are hiring a Director of Business Development to be based in Toronto and cover the Ontario region. Ad is in the job posting section and career guide is attached (compensation etc).

AirSprint HR

Attachments
Business Development Career Guide small3.pdf
(824.91 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Last edited by AirSprint HR on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

We will be interviewing for Captain/FO spots for Calgary/Toronto/Montreal over the next 4 to 6 weeks. These spots are for expected fall positions. The ad is up in the jobs section and I'll post it on LinkedIn. If you follow AirSprint on LinkedIn you can see updates going forward (in addition to Avcanada).

AirSprint HR

Last edited by AirSprint HR on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Everyman »

Careful, I've heard life is not all roses at Sprint.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Everyman wrote:Careful, I've heard life is not all roses at Sprint.
I've heard life is not all roses at Westjet, Aircanada, Jazz, Encoure, Sunwest, North Caribou, Flair, and every other company in this country.

So what is your point? If you could truely find a company in this country where there is at least one person that is not bitter, than I would be truely amazed.

When a individual choose's to work for a company, they must weigh the pro's and con's of said company for themselves. Not every job will suit every person, so yes, somebody will not be happy a company A, yet extremely happy at company B which I heard is not all roses.

Just saying

P.S - Nice first post

Everyman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Everyman »

Fair enough, my statement was vague. Also, I agree that you are likely to find at least one disgruntled employee at any company. From what I have heard the number of unhappy folks at Sprint is higher than one. Just a word of caution, I have heard moral is low.

P.S. Nice 2146th post.

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

The two most used words in the aviation industry....."I've heard...". Well "I've" is a contraction, but you get the point.

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

I've heard that's not true...

Everyman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Everyman »

Wow, I didn't know the grammar police were going to be out tonight.

"I've" is a contraction of "I have" which refers to the multiple occasions in the past tense in which I have been told that people are not happy at AirSprint. You don't need to take it from me, I am just trying to pass the word of caution as I have heard it.

I look forward to receiving my grade on this post. I'm up to three so Flyinhigh should be happy and spell check liked it too...I'll hold my breath now.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Everyman wrote:Wow, I didn't know the grammar police were going to be out tonight.

"I've" is a contraction of "I have" which refers to the multiple occasions in the past tense in which I have been told that people are not happy at AirSprint. You don't need to take it from me, I am just trying to pass the word of caution as I have heard it.

I look forward to receiving my grade on this post. I'm up to three so Flyinhigh should be happy and spell check liked it too...I'll hold my breath now.

If you have something specific to share then I'm sure prospective candidates would be interested in what you have to say. A generic I've heard people aren't happy isn't very constructive or helpful though. Not happy with their coffee? Not happy with the color of their tie? Or not happy with something else..it would be a lot more useful and open you up to less trolling if you'd post specifics with something to back you up.

From an outsider's perspective I'm impressed enough that Air Sprint actually replies here to intelligent posts and has the decency to post a professional looking recruitment document that clearly spells out payscales, benefits and expectations. Nice to see a company that is that transparent and open whatever other faults they may have.

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

tbaylx.....+1

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Everyman wrote:From what I have heard the number of unhappy folks at Sprint is higher than one. Just a word of caution, I have heard moral is low.
AirSprint HR wrote:No active plans for further hiring right now but that may change over the next few months. As an update, there are now 3 CJ2+ aircraft online and the schedule is in the process of switching to 8/4 from 10/5 following a vote by the pilots.

AirSprint HR
As a suggestion, why don't you offer two or three different options for the pilots. This has the benefit of making the company more appealing to people and gives you a larger pool to choose from. I know there can be scheduling issues but with computer scheduling, the complicated can be made less complicated.

While I don't know if finding quality pilots is an issue for AS, when I read about some of these companies that have trouble recruiting and I look at the schedule, I think, why don't they have a second option available. A lot of pilots have family commitments as well and with both mom and Dad having income, pay is not as much an issue as time off. If a company were to offer an option of reduced pay for a different more family friendly schedule(such as 14 on/14 off), there might be an increased amount of interest. Another possibility is part time positions to fill in.

I know that there are still fixed costs in a company regardless of the amount of work done but I feel it is something a company should consider as you will never make everyone happy with one schedule type.

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

I don't usually post other than to answer direct questions or post job openings but I thought I would share a few thoughts on the current topic.

One of the comments made above about companies being a great fit for some, while not great for others is true of AirSprint no different than any other company. One example of this is the on-demand nature of our flying. Some people love the frequent changes (I happen to be one) while others do not. AirSprint is also not perfect. We do try very hard to continuously improve as an employer and retain the best people we can. We recognize that AirSprint's success over the years is directly related to the excellent people that have been part of our family and we have strived to continuously make improvements to wages/lifestyle/benefits as the company has grown in order to retain the best people possible. The preferential bidding system that we introduced last year in order to improve pilot quality of life is just one example of this.

Money related items are only one part of the equation though and how we personally treat people is equally important. I've attached an internal document that the managers developed a few years ago that guides how we act internally. These guiding principles guide our daily actions and we strive to follow them to the best of our ability every day. Again, we are not perfect, but we try hard everyday to get a little closer.

James Elian
President & COO (& AirSprint HR)

Attachments
Management Guiding Principles.pdf
(318.94 KiB) Downloaded 219 times

Return to “Employment Forum”