Canadian North Hiring

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Canadian North Hiring

Post by Kosiw »

I see that CDN North is hiring again.....expansion or people leaving ?

Didn't their prez bail a few months ago, and there was some news about financial concerns last fall.....what's the latest ?
---------- ADS -----------

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Kosiw wrote:I see that CDN North is hiring again.....expansion or people leaving ?

Didn't their prez bail a few months ago, and there was some news about financial concerns last fall.....what's the latest ?
1- Both

2- Yes previous prez left.... has been replaced with an new and more efficient model who understands operations.

3- Rumours of 5t's financial demise have been greatly exaggerated.

4- Latest is we're contracting out a bunch of work because we can't get aircraft and crew hired fast enough. 20+ pilots to be hired this year, both on the D8 and B737. Several more -300's arriving as well, with hopefully the first -300 combi sometime this year as well.

Nice place to work, and you aren't competing in the scheduled airline "race to the bottom" T&C degradation.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Good to hear things are going well at 5T.

Check your PM's.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

C'est la vie.

Glad to hear things are moving right along :)

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Just an FYI. If you get interviewed and get told the sim is broken, it means we're not interested in you and go home. Happened to a few guys last set of interviews. Don't expect to even get a PFO.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

So the incoming 300's are 1 for 1 replacements of the 200's except for the gravel kit machines ?

Are more D8's coming ? I wonder how efficient it is running a 737 to places like YCO-YCB vs 7F's ATR's ?

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

brooks wrote:Just an FYI. If you get interviewed and get told the sim is broken, it means we're not interested in you and go home. Happened to a few guys last set of interviews. Don't expect to even get a PFO.
Brooks, this is not a shot at you, but: what a classy way to treat professional pilots who've expressed an interest in joining the organization. For a small industry where everybody knows everybody, some employers are thick as planks.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Kosiw wrote:So the incoming 300's are 1 for 1 replacements of the 200's except for the gravel kit machines ?

Are more D8's coming ? I wonder how efficient it is running a 737 to places like YCO-YCB vs 7F's ATR's ?
The -200's are supposed to be getting replaced with the -300's eventually, but at the moment they're too busy to retire anything so the -300's are fleet expansion. No idea if there are more D8's, haven't heard anything on that front, so I doubt it.

YCO-YCB was supposed to be a temporary Boeing route, but as I understand it the communities don't want to give up the jet service now that they have it, so there is some sort of agreement to continue operating the Boeing there for the time being. The freight pays for some of it as its a combi run, but I somehow doubt we're making anything on that particular run and would be happy to pull off the Boeing to use elsewhere if they could.

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

Hey Brooksie:

:rolleyes:

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

brooks wrote:Just an FYI. If you get interviewed and get told the sim is broken, it means we're not interested in you and go home. Happened to a few guys last set of interviews. Don't expect to even get a PFO.
Sorry to hear that brooks. I doubt that was a planned way of doing things as we've got some pretty good people working our HR. I doubt they would actually lie about a broken sim, if you've seen the B737 sim that we use in YVR then you'd know it probably was broken :)

I believe HR originally was telling people everyone would get a sim eval that interviewed, but that was before they consulted with operations/training. It makes little sense to use sim time to evaluate someone that the hiring team doesn't think would be a good candidate after an interview. If you are/were promised a sim eval then it was in error and current policy i think is to only sim eval people who pass the interview portion. It only makes sense that way for both parties IMHO. The left and right hands aren't always in the closest of communication at 5T and its unfortunate and frustrating when stuff like that happens.

I would hope that HR will be contacting anyone who was interviewed regardless if they were successful or not to inform them. If its been a couple of weeks and you've heard nothing i'd suggest contacting them to get an update.

thirdtimecharm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thirdtimecharm »

Wondering if anyone knows why Canadian North is showing a Dash 8 Q400 on their schedule from Yellowknife to Cambay starting next week?

Would be nice to see... :)

FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL020 »

Depart:
10:05
Arrive:
13:28
Monday, 04 March 13
Yellowknife , NT , CA (YZF)
Monday, 04 March 13
Cambridge Bay , NU , CA (YCB)
Canadian North
1 Stop / 5T 446
De Havilland DHC-8 Dash 8
View available seats
Returning on Tuesday, 05 March 13

Depart:
12:45
Arrive:
16:10
Tuesday, 05 March 13
Tuesday, 05 March 13
Canadian North
1 Stop / 5T 447
View available seats
1738.80 CAD
SELECT FLIGHTS

View fare rules 1 Adult: 1656.00 + Taxes, Fees and Charges: 82.80 = 1738.80 CAD Air Transportation Charges RNORTH*RNORTH
Leaving on Monday, 04 March 13
Depart:
10:05
Arrive:
13:28
Monday, 04 March 13
Monday, 04 March 13
Canadian North
1 Stop / 5T 446
View available seats

Depart:
14:05
Arrive:
21:14
Tuesday, 05 March 13
Tuesday, 05 March 13
Canadian North
3 Stops / 5T 478
View available seats
1738.80 CAD
SELECT FLIGHTS

View fare rules 1 Adult: 1656.00 + Taxes, Fees and Charges: 82.80 = 1738.80 CAD Air Transportation Charges RNORTH*RNORTH
Depart:
10:10
Arrive:
17:00
Monday, 04 March 13
Monday, 04 March 13
Canadian North
3 Stops / 5T 478
View available seats

Depart:
12:45
Arrive:
16:10
Tuesday, 05 March 13
Tuesday, 05 March 13
Canadian North
1 Stop / 5T 447
View available seats
1738.80 CAD
SELECT FLIGHTS

Depart:
10:10
Arrive:
17:00
Monday, 04 March 13
Monday, 04 March 13
Canadian North
3 Stops / 5T 478
View available seats

Depart:
14:05
Arrive:
21:14
Tuesday, 05 March 13
Tuesday, 05 March 13
Canadian North
3 Stops / 5T 478
View available seats

i dont see any mention of a q400...?

thirdtimecharm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thirdtimecharm »

In Sabre it shows as DH4... must have been a mistake in the loading.

Caused some frantic searching here in the office. :)

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

It says must meet minimum requirements, so anyone meeting the total time requirements but no ATPL won't be looked at over at Cnorth? Even if less than 2 months from obtaining it?

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

It says must meet minimum requirements, so anyone meeting the total time requirements but no ATPL won't be looked at over at Cnorth? Even if less than 2 months from obtaining it?
I know some have been hired in the past who did not have ATPL's. Worth a shot, as weirder things have happened.

5T is an awesome company. Happy to be a part of a good organization. The only thing that worries me is the Oil business. When times are good like it is now, moral is high, and guys are getting upgrades in less than a year but it can all change quickly. We do sub contact what seems to be a fair amount of flying.

After listening to the latest town hall meetings I'm rather anxious to see what future work 5T is gearing towards and the fleet modernization plan.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Interesting!

Thanks!

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Quote " After listening to the latest town hall meetings I'm rather anxious to see what future work 5T is gearing towards and the fleet modernization plan."

Where can 5T expand their ops ? Unless its more oil patch crew change work, or get into more arctic skeds in a big way (more competition for 7F).

The mine work up north has slowed down, oil and gas exploration in the Beaufort is at a crawl so what is left, only the oil sands work, and that might be a bit shakey these days.

And how is 'mother corp' doing financially after bleeding the past few years...

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/a ... ring_move/

Hopefully with good leadership at CDN North, they will keep the ship upright and sailing full steam ahead...

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Looks like more 737-300's coming online this year for CDN North, to compete with 7F's forthcoming 737-400's on the YOW-YFB run....

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/a ... its_fleet/

Liverpoolfan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Liverpoolfan »

Hey All.

I am fortunate to get an interview with Canadian North.
Any tips would be appreciated have not done an interview for some time.
PM if you wish.
Thanks

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

With the expansion of the Boeing fleet, (seems mostly due to oilsands work), will the Dash 8 fleet grow too or does the arctic work remain stagnant ?

Return to “Employment Forum”