Question and invitation for contractors

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ATGTECHS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question and invitation for contractors

Post by ATGTECHS »

I am an employee for a contracting agency who is seeking answers from the contracting community. Presently , I have an ad up for a western Canada 6 month contract, B737 endorsed AME's The pay will be around $40-45 $50 per diem OR accomodation, 50 hr weeks, free return airfare to home once a month if you wish. Please let me know if this is a fair wage and whether you would be interested in a 3-6 month rotation or rotations every month. What would you expect for a wage if your not endorsed but have 5+ yrs exp on the B737NG ? Understanding that a connie is not employed year around, what other avenues do you have for income, so that you dont need to demand top wage? Do you have your own business and appropriate write-off in order to maximize being self employed?
Ive done the connie thing, the on-the-road thing, and the self employed thing and wish to have more input, so i may tailer my offerings to contractors better in the future. BTW, If your 737ng endorsed and want to work in western Canada at these rates, kindly reply in PM
Business Development Representative,
Aircraft Technicians Group
---------- ADS -----------

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Question and invitation for contractors

Post by chowda »

The pay will be around $40-45 $50 per diem OR accomodation
Wrong.

And accommodation, which has been the standard for years, at least out west. Also, $60 is more common, but still not enough for food and accommodation. Mainline westjet guys are making what you are offering for hourly rates. Something is wrong with your business plan if you think most contractors want to contract for less than a premium rate, the reason being they don't have much else going on the side, so you have to make the time count. Why would anyone want to do the long periods of time away from home otherwise?
Strange post.

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

To each his/her own !

When i was away I rarely paid more than $40 for meals. I would imagine if you ate 3 sumptious and expensive meals a day with drinks , it could come to $120-140 +and anything less would not be enough Per Diem. On the pay, If the contracted person had his/her own business and wisely utilized write-off etc, they should be able to net 45-48,000 in 6 months work! If your single, need to get away from the wife or divorced etc, that time away could be your years wages and the time spent at home doing your own business could be extra spending $$$ Some would not be structured and mature enough to do it that way and would buy a new druck and drink the rest away ,,and end up perhaps knocking on Jazz or WJ regional for ANY job ?

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

The situation in Canada is really a farce. Twenty five years ago it was the norm to have all accommodation and transportation paid for, a per diem of $50.00 was the bottom of the barrel and the wages were at least what is being offered by these people. So have we moved ahead? Have we kept abreast of inflation? A $50.00 per diem in a third world country will typically get you three healthy meals and a little more to take care of day to day issues. If you are smart you can pocket money. But $50.00 in Canada is a slap in the face. Sure you can eat at fast food outlets with that money. Go for it. Paying for your own accommodation at that wage just makes me laugh. Never. It is called low balling and Canadians are some of the worst for that practice.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

+1

The other guy is trying to sugar coat the current bullshit. contractor wages have not moved in 20 years, and its bullshit they expect guys to provide accomadation for 50 bucks. But there is always some idiot who does it for less, so thats why these types of offers come up.

Return to “Employment Forum”