E-mailing resumes

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Elman
Rank 1
Rank 1

E-mailing resumes

Post by Elman »

I've been told by people not to send resumes as Word attachments in e-mails, especially with the virus threats that seem to go around regularily. Most companies do not specify whether its acceptable or not to attach the resume (the difference being the the resume can be viewed or printed off in its exact form as a Word document). Does it really matter? You still mail it and fax it, but as far as e-mailing goes are they really just trying to find out who has what qualifications, or is it better to attach it as a professional-looking document? Might be a bit of an stupid question, but I've heard different things. Thanks, Elman
---------- ADS -----------

red003
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by red003 »

a lot of companies i've talked to have said email is ok. in fact some prefer it...take harbour air for example. but i think actually calling them first makes a difference...otherwise its practically like spam.

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

I usually attach it as a word document when I send a resume by email. But you're right, a lot of companies won't open them because of viruses, so I made a website, and link to it in the body of the email. This way they can go and view my resume without having to download, and they can also highlight and print if they really want a paper copy. I have free webspace with my internet provider, but I'm sure you can also find free servers on the net.

I have very little computer experience, but found a basic html tutorial website that made designing my own a snap. The address for it is:

http://www.geocities.com/htmlthing/

The html validator I used was CSE HTML Validator Lite, very easy to use and it is shareware, so it is a free download. The address for it is:

http://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmldownload.html

PM Me if you would like more info.

SourApple
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SourApple »

I got my job via emailing my resume and following up by email. The only phone calls came from their end.

Really it all depends on the company. Some like it, some don't.

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

What about PDFs? Would companies like those as attachments instead of Word files?

SplitS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SplitS »

Like Sourapple said: some like, some dont.

Ive had no luck at all with emailed resumes. But theyre easy and free. But I invested 48cents and snail mailed 2 resumes and got a call on one of them. Doesnt mean snail mail is better. It was probably just the freshest resume on the CPs desk when a spot opened up.

There is no logic here. Each company likes it one way or another. Dont worry about it.

Keep flying till the noise stops.
maniac779
Rank 1
Rank 1

Faxing Resumes

Post by maniac779 »

Although some companies obviously have things against email, how do they generally feel about faxes? Is it widely accepted, or are companies picky about that as well??

BirdDog IV
Rank 3
Rank 3

It works!

Post by BirdDog IV »

Monday morng...sent e-mail resume to SASK. 2-min later, my phone is ringing. Operator told me that he posted the job Sunday night, and by 0900hrs Monday morning...had 20 reponses. 16 of them when right in the "trash" and the four he had left...he was calling from the bottom up to the top of his list.

It DOES work!

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

PDF. I'd shoot you for sending a PDF.. I have Cable modem and those take forever to load.. =(

Return to “Employment Forum”