North Wright Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: North Wright Air

Post by AJV »

flyinhigh wrote:Our company scale was ok when I started, in the last 4 months we have implemented a pay scale that will potentially pay a King Air captain 90K, plus full health benefits and a pension plan.
Ours get 80G which is nice but I would love to see 90 for our King Air Captains too! What type of flying are you doing?
---------- ADS -----------

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

The way to solve turn over is pay a respectable wage, PERIOD.
Everyone likes to say this, but it's not really true. It's a terribly over-simplified way of looking at it.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Our company scale was ok when I started, in the last 4 months we have implemented a pay scale that will potentially pay a King Air captain 90K, plus full health benefits and a pension plan
That's great, but how many pilots actually make that? Or is it just a management smoke and mirrors way of dangling an unreachable carrot? I tend to be wary when someone tells me what I could "potentially" earn. I mean, I could potentially win the lottery too, but just like "potential pay" I can't take that to the bank.

gocanadago
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gocanadago »

1 year bond at 18 000$ for a twotter on top of the training fee is beyond ridiculous and working for an owner that will call you "cockeyed cock suckers" when he has a fit. Stay as far away as possible.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

"And still, pilots line up to fly for operators like these scum bags...."
Have some pride people.
Avoid like the plague.
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Right now 3 make that.

To make that it depends how motivated you are, The salary stops at 75 K, however on top of the salary you make mileage bringing it up.
Hence why I say potentially, if you rather turn down trips and not fly you won't make that. You wanna work while your at work you will.
This is doing medivac's.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

flyinhigh wrote:Right now 3 make that.

To make that it depends how motivated you are, The salary stops at 75 K, however on top of the salary you make mileage bringing it up.
Hence why I say potentially, if you rather turn down trips and not fly you won't make that. You wanna work while your at work you will.
This is doing medivac's.
Do you get paid for miles flown if you miss?

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AJV »

flyinhigh wrote:Right now 3 make that.

This is doing medivac's.
How can you turn down trips unless it is weather or runway conditions on a medi? You can't just say well I don't feel like it...

esp803

Post by esp803 »

Every place I have ever worked on a millage basis, I have been paid for miles flown, regardless of the outcome of the flight. If my air time multiplied by my block airspeed is substantially larger than then actual millage, I bill that. I would never accept a position that doesn't pay if you miss... nothing good can come from that system.

E

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Well that is essentially it, you don't turn down flights in medivacs you delay them until you loose them.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

flyinhigh wrote:Well that is essentially it, you don't turn down flights in medivacs you delay them until you loose them.
This is worth reading. Again. The biggest killer in medevac flying is the "If we don't go, we'll loose the trip...." It results in pushing weather. Yes it does. I've been doing this for a very LONG time, and paying mileage has been responsible for many accidents. The difference between 70K and 80K after tax, is 24 beers every week. THINKABOUTIT

BTW. It's spelt MED E VAC. not. MED I VAC. Word source. (med)ical (evac)uation. Just so ya know.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Or (medi)cal e(vac)auation.

Now where is my bear gun.

As for the owner calling you a name when he's mad, you can always stay home with you mom and dad. They won't call you mean names when you do stupid shit.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

leftoftrack wrote:
As for the owner calling you a name when he's mad, you can always stay home with you mom and dad. They won't call you mean names when you do stupid shit.
Or, since you seem to think that verbal abuse is a) mature and professional, and b) socially acceptable, you could go to work for these maggots?
You know, in "professions", name calling (especially names like the one in question) would be totally unacceptable, and indeed just would NOT occur! Just one more reason I laugh to myself when pilots trip over themselves claiming to be PROFESSIONAL! Indeed a joke!

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

leftoftrack wrote:Or (medi)cal e(vac)auation.
Now you're abbreviating "medical vacuum" ;)

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

FICU your funny- it could be an abreviation for "medical vacation", and we all know that happens a whole lot more than a medical evacuation.

Back to north wright. Is Warren messed in the head. He's been in the wells since the seventies something is going to be off from what you and I understand to be normal, but if you think being called a name or two is the worst thing that will happen to you in aviation than don't take a job doing booze cruises from almost day 1. Instead do the perimeter thing. Load bags for 2 years than spend the next 4 trying not to die on a Indian reserve in a plane nicknamed the turbo dildo. I heard they do actually stick that on your tombstone.

As far as the cash goes, housing, heating, electricity, phone are all covered. There are 5 blocks in town so walking is a reasonable expectation and the ATCO castle is across the street from work. So starting out you need to walk 100' to get to work. Booze is cheap and the company does runs to yellow knife 5 times a week so your paying reasonable prices for food, you have no bills other than your student loans and you'll make friends for life. And if you really hate it. Get on canadian north 6 days a week for $50 and head home.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

leftoftrack.......you seem to be missing the point of the thread....250$ a month for FOUR years PLUS fifteen THOUSAND $$$ for a PPC. You DID read that part, no?

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Nope I got your point. Forced savings no expenses after your first year your well paid, given the opportunity to fly quality equipment and you wanna bitch about a bond that you don't have to sign. All going up there with no experience and having almost nothing to offer the company. Sounds like a horrible place to start a career.

But as someone who has never operated at or even near the company I'm sure you have way more insight into the company than I would.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

leftoftrack wrote:
But as someone who has never operated at or even near the company I'm sure you have way more insight into the company than I would.
Never operated AT the company, but I've had dealings with them. I know more than you'd imagine. Enjoy your four years of self induced, indentured servitude. Freedom, is being able to pack your bags when YOU want. THINKABOUTIT.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Brown Bear wrote:
leftoftrack wrote:
Never operated AT the company, but I've had dealings with them. I know more than you'd imagine. Enjoy your four years of self induced, indentured servitude. Freedom, is being able to pack your bags when YOU want. THINKABOUTIT.
I've done my time with them thank you. I left reluctantly and still miss it. While I'm sure your dealings with them were deep and meaningful I also have a feeling you may be talking out your ass.

As far as freedom. It's a $50 ticket to YEG with 5T and if you decide to quit they are more than happy to supply you a ride to a place with roads.

Thank you for you opinion Brown Bear but I can no longer argue with the internet cause I doubt I'll ever win.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I met Warren when I was six years old. He was incredibly friendly and nice to me..I think he even gave me a juice box and a candy bar, however I did watch as he then berated one of his pilots/ramp guys uttering every curse word I'd ever known and plenty new ones at that point. I still remember that to this day. I think I then asked my dad what a 'cocksucker' was. While I do have respect for him for what he's done, he is certainly stuck in the past.

In this day and age, if that happened ANYWHERE outside of say, a rig in northern alberta, you would have the labour board(and probably the workers board, especially here in Bring Cash) up your behind and a lawsuit on your hand. Thats Verbal abuse and Bullying. I don't give two fly farkases whether or not you think it's acceptable to curse vehemently at someone, regardless of how much they have screwed up. Which, in most cases, the screw up was a result of the employers actions or lack thereof. Its Wrong and not legal. Moving along...

Sure there are some that believe NW is a good start in aviation for a 200hr newb. I wouldn't say that.. I'd say it's a marginal start at best. Marginal pay, you have to live in the ATCO palace in the wells, they keep a chunk of your pay check and you freeze your nards or lady bits off humping bags and cleaning puke out of crowd killers for a year while being yelled at. Then you get to sign a year bond to sit in the right seat, or maybe you were lucky enough to end up in the 2 slow 7.. or 6 and again be yelled at. Sure, FOUR years later you have 3k in the book and can bugger off with the money of yours they've kept.. but at that four year mark, the kid that worked for perimeter, made more, wasn't yelled at and lived in a community with a road into or out of it has also put on close to 3k and is applying for the exact jobs you are. Better hope the hiring person doesn't know too much about NW. Same with the kid that started instructing.. Although Im sure they would have gone somewhere in the right seat with 1k and been flying operationally.. Maybe they would even beat you to that 705 interview.

My Point is this, I agree with BB to some extent. The old school BS way is just that, old and a derelict. Lets move forward and that can only be done if people stop selling themselves short. There are much better options. Make that known to operators. there should be an INCENTIVE to working in the wells. Yes, you need to find a way to retain employees. Perhaps it's not done with shit treatment, marginal wages and a crippling bond. Pretty sure the folk flying in that area (simpson and wolverine and borek) keep employees longer..

Return to “Employment Forum”