Want to work in Canada? Read this first, please!

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Want to work in Canada? Read this first, please!

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

photofly wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:39 am Being unable to spell is clearly not a disqualifier.
Lol no kidding along with the working for free note, some operators accept pay for flying revenue, this post is garbage and not well versed across the board.
---------- ADS -----------

SagarA320
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SagarA320 »

I am looking to convert my ICAO ATPL to Canadian ATPL and apply for a PR based on my other degrees. I am a type rated captain on A320 with 2500 hours as PIC. Previously Type rated first officer on A320, B737NG and B787-8. Total 5500 hours. Do Airlines in Canada consider jobs for Direct Entry Captains? I am okay to start on another type but not looking to start as a First officer owing to the high living costs and low salary. Please share some inputs. Thank you.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

SagarA320 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:21 pm I am looking to convert my ICAO ATPL to Canadian ATPL and apply for a PR based on my other degrees. I am a type rated captain on A320 with 2500 hours as PIC. Previously Type rated first officer on A320, B737NG and B787-8. Total 5500 hours. Do Airlines in Canada consider jobs for Direct Entry Captains? I am okay to start on another type but not looking to start as a First officer owing to the high living costs and low salary. Please share some inputs. Thank you.
It happens but it's fairly rare. Cargojet recently put an ad out for DEC. And you have regional operators hiring DEC, but even as a captain you won't make much there.

Corporate jets might get you a DEC spot with a decent salary.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
SagarA321
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SagarA321 »

I have seen ads for Lynx Air and Flair direct entry captains. Anyone joined recently?

CuriousGrouse
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CuriousGrouse »

North Shore wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:05 am Cross-posted from another forum, but applicable notwithstanding...

I am tired of reading the same question being asked over and over again! Here is a list of items that must be met in order to work as a pilot in Canada. It is not exhaustive so even if you meet these minimums, YOU MIGHT STILL NOT BE ABLE TO WORK IN CANADA!!!

1) Have the legal right to work in Canada. This is an absolute show stopper. If you don't have this prior to seeking a job, you will not get a job, end of story!

2) Have a CANADIAN COMMERCIAL pilots license. Again, this is a showstopper if you want to be a pilot in Canada. This includes necessary Canadian ratings for the type of flying you wish to do (ie: floats, multi, IFR etc)

3) HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA! This clearly needs to be stated more than once.

4) Understand the climate, size and remoteness of Canada and whether it's suitable to your needs/desires. Generally time building jobs will be far far away from the amenities and lifestyle you may be accustomed too.

5) HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA! Yup, said it again, just to be crystal clear!

6) Know the hiring cycles in Canada. Ie: float operators will not generally need pilots in December

7) HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA! If you haven't already got the point, there is no helping you. I am not here to tell you how to get that, figure it out yourself and do the legwork.

8) understand that aviation is a small industry in Canada, everyone knows someone who knows someone. If you screw over one person to get ahead, you will pay for it severly in the future of your career.

9) HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA! Got it yet?

10) There is a very minute chance you will ever get hired by emailing resumes. In Canada, employers value Face to face time and a handshake.

11) HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA! Still don see what I'm getting at?

12) IF YOU OFFER TO PAY FOR YOUR TRAINING YOU WILL BE BLACKLISTED, see point 8

13) HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA! Self explanatory? I thought so too, but reading so many previous posts, I am clearly wrong!

14) IF YOU OFFER TO WORK FOR FREE FOR THE EXPERIENCE, this is not only illegal but immoral, see point 8 and 12

15) HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA!!!

16) Employers value experience in Canada. There are literally hundreds of Canadian 200-500hr wonders who all think they deserve the job ahead of you, rightfully so, with significantly fewer openings available than applicants for entry level positions especially. You face an uphill battle in convincing an employer that they should hire a foreign applicant over a Canadian, but if you are thinking you can offer to work for less or save the company some training money, see points 8, 12, and 14

17). HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA!!!

If anyone else has input or additions, please feel free to add

Does this also apply to ALL of the CANADIANS trying to get jobs in the pilot saturated US of A?

Or is that different? :lol:

Return to “Employment Forum”