Moving to Africa

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Tail Timer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Moving to Africa

Post by Tail Timer »

Howdy. I'm strongly considering travelling to Africa to look for a pilot job. I'm wondering if there is anyone one here who has been there and done that and would like to share some information. I have checked out ppprune, now just looking for some new/different information. I mainly would like to know how I will look in the eyes of future employers (based on flight times) with 900 TT, 600 PIC, ME IR and a class 4 Instructor Rating that is about to expire. Any insight or tips are greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

Chuck Finley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Moving to Africa

Post by Chuck Finley »

Are you sure moving to Africa these days is such a great idea?

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Texas might be a better move.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Why would anyone incur a huge fiancial expense on an "international" job hunting "road trip" without any guarantee of a job in the first place?

Yes, some of us have flown (second job in aviation in my case) in Africa. The job offer was confirmed by my new employer sending me confirmed airfare at the company's expense.

All the best,
TPC

B52
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by B52 »

Congratulations.
I've seen quite a few adventurous Canadians make that trip and all successfully
land a job.

I'd suggest that you take the opportunity to renew your instructor rating before you leave
as it will win you some respect in Africa at your level of hours.

You might even need it for job if you have suddenly return home for reasons
that can happen very quickly and unexpectedly.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I have a friend that went down years ago. Expect for it not to be organized when you show up. He was promised a flying gig, ended up waiting for 6 months before being offered the 206. He was an adventourous guy so the 6 month wait didn't bother him.

Going to Africa will be an adventure. Take life as it comes and have some fun! Careful of the Ebola ordeal though eh? 8)

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

I wouldn't be worrying about Ebola as some have mentioned here - it's concentrated in 3 West African countries. People like to lump 'Africa' as one place, but it's a huge continent. There are different countries and regions each with unique characteristics. Anyone who has been would likely tell you that Morocco, Sudan, Kenya, Angola, Congo and S. Africa, although all considered 'Africa', are night and day from each other.

I suggest you do your research on a region, make some connections with someone who is already there before you go, and then go have some fun on your adventure. When flying there though look after yourself, because nobody else will be looking out for you. Talk to the local pilots and ask them for advice about the places you go into, but be careful not to pick up any of the ubiquitous bad habits people have picked up flying the in the relatively lax environment in some places there.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

KK7 wrote:I wouldn't be worrying about Ebola as some have mentioned here - it's concentrated in 3 West African countries. People like to lump 'Africa' as one place, but it's a huge continent. There are different countries and regions each with unique characteristics. Anyone who has been would likely tell you that Morocco, Sudan, Kenya, Angola, Congo and S. Africa, although all considered 'Africa', are night and day from each other.
You beat me to it. :roll:
KK7 wrote:I suggest you do your research on a region, make some connections with someone who is already there before you go, and then go have some fun on your adventure. When flying there though look after yourself, because nobody else will be looking out for you. Talk to the local pilots and ask them for advice about the places you go into, but be careful not to pick up any of the ubiquitous bad habits people have picked up flying the in the relatively lax environment in some places there.
Exactly. You also may want to look over in the Africa forum on PPRUNE for more information - there are quite a few good threads about low timer jobs in Bostwana, Namibia, etc and the challenges in those areas. Those used to be great spots for low time foreign pilots to build hours, but now there are more restrictions and preference for local pilots. There is also the type rating issue to ponder... overseas, you need a type rating even for little airplanes like C208s, etc., and the standard over there is that's paid for by the pilot.

Also, there are several Canadian companies that regularly fly in Africa. GeoTech, Sander, CGG (formerly Fugro), Voyageur, Trans Capital, and I'm sure I'm missing several - why not check out some of those places? Bonus - you work for a Canadian company under Canadian regs, with Canadian AMEs, health and travel insurance, immunizations, malaria meds, per diems, accommodation provided... in my opinion a much better way to be introduced to an amazingly interesting, challenging and beautiful part of the world.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

KK7 wrote:I wouldn't be worrying about Ebola as some have mentioned here - it's concentrated in 3 West African countries. People like to lump 'Africa' as one place, but it's a huge continent. There are different countries and regions each with unique characteristics. Anyone who has been would likely tell you that Morocco, Sudan, Kenya, Angola, Congo and S. Africa, although all considered 'Africa', are night and day from each other.
So is Saudi Arabia, UAE, Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan.

If this person was travelling to the Middle East, without knowing which ME region one was going to travel to, you'd get a mountain of suggestions that one should be careful not getting their head cut off as well.

Good thing I've travelled Africa to know the difference. You're right, it really is something else and totally worth visiting if one gets the chance.

Back on topic - there's good advice provided by KK7 otherwise, have fun!

Tail Timer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tail Timer »

Yes, just the type of information I was looking for. I will look more into the Canadian companies that operate over there for sure! Thanks.

SgtStroka
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SgtStroka »

Forget what the naysayers are saying Tail Timer. Just make sure you do some research and have a few good leads, (At the very least get in contact with the CP/OpsMan/Owner/Somebody!) before you skip across the pond. Find at least 3-5 companies so you have some choices. I did exactly that, went across Namibia to Botswana, SA to Tanzania where I found the best conditions for work (My opinion) and pay, cause it can reallllly suck at some places....add that with some companies that have you flying some A/C that are in deplorable conditions......you'll miss home real fast.

Just be smart man. You make you own luck over there and 99/100 will never hire you over the phone or email, you gotta be there, and look the part of decent human being. Dont just roll up in sandals a waving your pilots license around, "Look at me, look at me". Having said that.......don't go wearing a pilot shirt and lots of bars on your shoulders either. Know a little bit about the country/city/language before you go. Thats just respectful of any travel really.

Personally, Coastal Aviation in Tanzania was the best bet for me and I was treated very well and so were 90 percent of my colleagues, remember you create your own luck....

Bring a Camera...or smartphone....whatever younger guys use to take photos these days.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Keep in mind that a lot of countries in Africa are the equivalent for European /South African low timers of "going North" here to built time.

But like SgtStroka and the others put it, some research and a good attitude will help you a lot down the road.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Sometimes things can work out well and just happen to fall in place. I don't know the exact details but British fellow I sort of know started off in Botswana and ended up somehow on a 146 in Africa which led to 747-200's at MK Airlines then to a 747-400 operator and is now starting at Emirates. Sometimes it is just the right place at the right time.

Google search PPrune Maun.

AC111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AC111 »

I know several low time Brits who made that trip and landed a job.

Return to “Employment Forum”