YTZ - commuting in the GTA

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Pilot@123
Rank 0
Rank 0

YTZ - commuting in the GTA

Post by Pilot@123 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:44 pm

Just wondering if there are any Porter employees here that can give me a realistic idea of commuting downtown and what’s the furthest some of you live. I’m just trying to stay away from the city as much as I can.
Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

totalflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YTZ - commuting in the GTA

Post by totalflyer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:39 pm

I’m up at the bottom end of Lake Simcoe and no traffic (early report) I can make it downtown to the parking garage in about 50mins. Longest it’s taken me to get to the city was about 1:45. If I have report in high traffic times I will sometime just take the GoTrain from Newmarket to Union and catch the free shuttle to the airport from there.

I usually bid for 3 and 4 day pairings with early reports (if possible) so as to avoid having to come to the city too much.
Right now with our reduced flying I only have to come to the city 3 times this month.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:23 am

We have YTZ-based pilots who commute from YQG, YAM, YOW and YUL as part of the commuting policy if you really want to stay far away!
You will need a crash pad in YTZ. Most of us who do this stay probably 3-6 nights a month in Toronto, less as you get more senior and have more choice of commutable pairings, obviously.

One pilot drives in from Trenton and another from 3h the other direction, but when they were on reserve they all had arrangements in Toronto (need to meet a 2h reserve callout.)

Pilot@123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pilot@123 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Thanks for the info! It doesn't seem so bad then.

Thanks

Planehawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Planehawk » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Hello!
You'll be on reserve to start off, and how long you will be there depends on hiring. There are some classes coming up, so hopefully that means things will pick up again, as it has been quite slow recently.
From the people I've talked too, it seems like Hamilton in the west, Oshawa in the east, and Barrie in the north is where people are living and commuting from for a 2 hour reserve callout. Any further and people usually get a crashpad downtown or some people just go downtown and chill, go to a mall, stay at a friend's house, etc.
When you have a schedule, you can do anywhere. People commute on the commuting policy, drive in from St. Catherine's/London/Trenton, etc. Havung a schedule makes it much easier.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Pilot@123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pilot@123 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:06 am

Thanks for the help. I was thinking the Hamilton area. Do they often only give 2 hours notice or will they generally try to give more while on reserve?

Planehawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Planehawk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:30 am

Not sure if my last post sent for some reason... so will re-type.

It depends on the kind of reserve you are given. Reserve A is 4-4 and B is 9-9. Reserve A has lots of 2 hour callouts, and early mornings. If you commute, being done early also means you will be in traffic leaving. Having traffic both ways is no fun at all. Reserve B has lots of notice most of the time, a few hours ahead of time. I recommend you try for Reserve B as it gives a much better lifestyle, although when junior you will probably not hold it.

Driving in from Hamilton means you could park in the west for $150 a month, the east for $75 a month, or do a pay as you arrive at multiple places close to the airport. You could also take the train to union station and then take the porter shuttle. Good luck!

Cheers

Return to “Porter Airlines”