1000 hour pilots

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ascend
Rank 1
Rank 1

1000 hour pilots

Post by ascend »

Under the 1000 hour program, has or would Porter hire anyone straight from instructing? If so, anyone know how they're adjusting to flying the Q and in busy airspace?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: 1000 hour pilots

Post by photofly »

By 1000 hours, is busy airspace still expected to be a challenge? Maybe they - you know - instructed in busy airspace?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'd imagine Porter would be looking for people with 703/4/5 experience flying IFR.

Instructing VFR in busy airspace is quite a bit different than being IFR in busy controlled airspace. IFR training when it's actually busy is generally discouraged or simply not allowed by NOTAM.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

After just two flights off the island in a 172, I don't find YTZ hard to operate from at all. It's way less challenging than YYJ was.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

goingnowherefast wrote:I'd imagine Porter would be looking for people with 703/4/5 experience flying IFR.

Instructing VFR in busy airspace is quite a bit different than being IFR in busy controlled airspace. IFR training when it's actually busy is generally discouraged or simply not allowed by NOTAM.
IFR is a lot easier.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

goingnowherefast wrote:I'd imagine Porter would be looking for people with 703/4/5 experience flying IFR.

IFR training in busy IFR airspace is sometimes prohibited not because it is difficult but because of ATC workload. I never tought flying IFR in a busy airspace was particularly difficult.

Going for the deck at corner
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Around the GTA it's neither prohibited nor discouraged. If you want practice approaches you need to book a slot, which enables ATC to provide a level of service.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

I can confirm IFR is way easier than VFR, especially in dense airspace. Although there is a little more to learn in the IFR world, almost everything IFR is already made for you when you fly. From SIDs to Arrivals and STARS, all you do is you follow the instructions on paper/Ipad and ATC instructions.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

photofly wrote:By 1000 hours, is busy airspace still expected to be a challenge? Maybe they - you know - instructed in busy airspace?
I only noticed this thread cause that's close to my TT. One Always reflects -- would I want to go down that path? Anyway --

Toronto isn't that crazy busy airspace, certainly not YTZ, at least to me. Try New York, Washington, Miami airspace. Much, much faster ATC instructions, and less tolerant of mistakes, too, being so busy.

Even getting a radio call into NY departure or approach is tough. Found that area slightly intimidating. I guess all what you're used to --

I found YVR trickier to deal with when there, too. Simply not enough terminal controllers, YYZ has lots of freqs which spreads things out.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Sky_Conqueror wrote:I can confirm IFR is way easier than VFR, especially in dense airspace. Although there is a little more to learn in the IFR world, almost everything IFR is already made for you when you fly. From SIDs to Arrivals and STARS, all you do is you follow the instructions on paper/Ipad and ATC instructions.
That's a joke right?? Has to be or we are all screwed. Why is IFR easier when you have to follow instructions on charts iPads and atc? Vfr you don't need to do any of that. Seems easier to me. You've obviously never flown a twin turbine in shitty weather. Oh wait, you did confirm that so maybe you have...

I guess I should write something here.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Does it really matter which is easier or harder? It's more to do with what relates to their operation. Porter flies IFR. I'd guess they are looking for people with IFR experience.

PropDog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropDog »

Today 1000 hour flight instructors are considered high time applicants 😂

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Maynard wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:06 pm
Sky_Conqueror wrote:I can confirm IFR is way easier than VFR, especially in dense airspace. Although there is a little more to learn in the IFR world, almost everything IFR is already made for you when you fly. From SIDs to Arrivals and STARS, all you do is you follow the instructions on paper/Ipad and ATC instructions.
That's a joke right?? Has to be or we are all screwed. Why is IFR easier when you have to follow instructions on charts iPads and atc? Vfr you don't need to do any of that. Seems easier to me. You've obviously never flown a twin turbine in shitty weather. Oh wait, you did confirm that so maybe you have...
If you're comparing IFR into CYYZ with a VFR sunny Sunday flight, then you might be right.

If you're comparing VFR into CYYZ with IFR into CYYZ, then IFR would win. Or even any long distance flight is significantly easier than VFR. No worries about an isolated cloud popping up. Very minor danger of entering restricted or NOTAMd airspace. ATC talking to you, because they have to. It's more structured, you know what to expect, especially in unfamiliar airspace.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

ascend wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:46 pm Under the 1000 hour program, has or would Porter hire anyone straight from instructing? If so, anyone know how they're adjusting to flying the Q and in busy airspace?
Everyone is focusing on the wrong aspect. VFR vs. IFR. That is the last thing to have an argument over, especially as someone coming from instructing on a 152 into a Q is going to be so busy trying to keep up to the plane.

Instruction to the Q is a massive step, and many instructors have struggled in this transition. If you are successful and land a job in a Q or a Jet, the best way to mitigate risks is to be very prepared. Be ready to be humbled, and learn. Accept you don’t know it all, and that you will mess up.

Realize that instruction per TC mandate is lacking in many ways and does not quite prepare you for the real world of how things go (I’ve never in my career watched any pilot fly over head the airport to join a circuit in the North).

Good luck, with 1000 hrs you’re about to make a significant jump in your career so enjoy the ride

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Maynard wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:06 pm That's a joke right?? Has to be or we are all screwed. Why is IFR easier when you have to follow instructions on charts iPads and atc? Vfr you don't need to do any of that. Seems easier to me. You've obviously never flown a twin turbine in shitty weather. Oh wait, you did confirm that so maybe you have...
IFR is much much easier. There's a lot more to learn upfront than VFR sure. But once you understand it and are used to it, IFR is much easier.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

My observation is that the biggest challenge for Instructors is going from 110 kts to 330 kts. Things obviously happen a lot faster and it is easy to get behind the Q or the RJ.

The other challenge is being efficient. As an Instructor it’s all billable time. Once you hit part 7 ops you don’t get to dilly dally.

Happyflyer78
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Happyflyer78 »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:14 pm My observation is that the biggest challenge for Instructors is going from 110 kts to 330 kts. Things obviously happen a lot faster and it is easy to get behind the Q or the RJ.

The other challenge is being efficient. As an Instructor it’s all billable time. Once you hit part 7 ops you don’t get to dilly dally.
What’s the hardest challenge for experienced king air captains to make the transition to 705 ops? I’ve recently applied to a number of them without any offers to date.
With no 705 ops experience I’m curious why 705 ops shy away from applicants with a lot of operational experience in king air’s?

Return to “Porter Airlines”