Porter Airlines shifts restart of flights date to June 29

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Porter Airlines shifts restart of flights date to June 29

Post by FL030 »

Nice idea. I'm sure Voyageur could use some of those Q400s.
---------- ADS -----------

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

What kind of shape will Porter’s Q400’s be in after sitting for a year in a cold, damp climate?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

They'll be cold and damp :-)

Seriously, maintenance personnel do the required weekly engine runs and whatever else they need.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

rudder wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:26 am
FL030 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:20 am Air Canada (and Jazz) are going to make out like bandits from this pandemic by taking over Porter's and Air Transat's business.
CHR should buy Porter (not PAH).

Add some of the YTZ Q400 lift to the AC CPA. Sell the surplus Q400’s or add to CAC leasing portfolio.

However, CHR must avoid Porter liabilities. Possible that Porter should file for CCAA or voluntary restructuring and have CHR pick it up with a restructured YTZ lease. Also need to void leases at outstations if applicable.
Interesting idea, what's to stop WestJet from acquiring Porter under the same scenario? They could gain a significant foothold in eastern Canada using Porter's branding.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Splash wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:01 pm Interesting idea, what's to stop WestJet from acquiring Porter under the same scenario? They could gain a significant foothold in eastern Canada using Porter's branding.
Incompatible philosophies. WestJet charges you for everything after you board. Porter charges you for nothing. And it's not the money - it's the feeling that once I'm on board a Porter flight, I'm looked after; I can stop worrying for a short while. I still feel I'm on my own when I'm on a WJ flight.

As much as I love Porter, if/when they get bought out, that love affair will very quickly end. I may not be alone in that thinking.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:48 pm
Splash wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:01 pm Interesting idea, what's to stop WestJet from acquiring Porter under the same scenario? They could gain a significant foothold in eastern Canada using Porter's branding.
Incompatible philosophies. WestJet charges you for everything after you board. Porter charges you for nothing. And it's not the money - it's the feeling that once I'm on board a Porter flight, I'm looked after; I can stop worrying for a short while. I still feel I'm on my own when I'm on a WJ flight.

As much as I love Porter, if/when they get bought out, that love affair will very quickly end. I may not be alone in that thinking.
I agree, best service for an airline in Canada that Ive experienced. I love flying them.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Interesting idea, what's to stop WestJet from acquiring Porter under the same scenario? They could gain a significant foothold in eastern Canada using Porter's branding.
What was Encore for then? :mrgreen:

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Yup dont forget about westjet.

Serious contenders in the broad consolidation of Canadian Flying in the coming years.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Is there any actual news about Porter? They're supposed to resume flying on the 11th of February - they must be at least conducting the odd town hall or two by now...

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:35 pm Is there any actual news about Porter? They're supposed to resume flying on the 11th of February - they must be at least conducting the odd town hall or two by now...
Management has been doing weekly calls since the start of the pandemic, with a recent switch to every other week. Next one is scheduled for Jan 12th.

With the current state of affairs, and recent MP/MPP vacation/non-essential travel backlash; I don't expect the travel sector to recover anytime soon.
When this first started, I said, Christmas 2020, then recanted to Easter 2021. At this point, Thanksgiving 2021 seems more likely.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:35 pm Is there any actual news about Porter? They're supposed to resume flying on the 11th of February - they must be at least conducting the odd town hall or two by now...
I think that unless the federal government gives financial aid to Porter it is unlikely to restart operations on its own. It's more likely that one of the bigger players (AC or Westjet) moves in and buys it. I think this is what Trudeau wants, further consolidation in the airline industy.

Just my opinion.

FlairFltOps
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlairFltOps »

The Raven wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:51 pm
I think that unless the federal government gives financial aid to Porter it is unlikely to restart operations on its own. It's more likely that one of the bigger players (AC or Westjet) moves in and buys it. I think this is what Trudeau wants, further consolidation in the airline industy.

Just my opinion.
That would imply that the government A- thought about this and B- developed a plan where they thought consolidation was a good thing.

I almost wish that this were true, at least it would indicate that they had a strategy however flawed it may be. We're of the opinion that they have no idea what is going on in aviation in this country and worry about other things.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Toronto’s Porter Airlines updates restart date to March 29, 2021

How much longer can they keep doing this :?:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7567960/coro ... tart-date/

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

They should have moved their planes to a drier climate. Sitting them right beside a large lake which never freezes over for over a year is not a good place for long term storage.... Maintenance costs to get them flying again will be large.

Let’s Go Brandon
Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Its a fresh water lake .. not a salt water ocean. I hardly think it will have the impact some are implying here.

I hope to see Porter back up and running, they're definitely my preferred jumpseat. I really have no idea what the hell Westjet was thinking when they ordered the Q400 with those ... bench seats is the best way to describe them. They're a pain in the ass .. much like the walk in T3!

I think the AT/AC deal will let us know how the government feels about consolidation.

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 am They should have moved their planes to a drier climate. Sitting them right beside a large lake which never freezes over for over a year is not a good place for long term storage.... Maintenance costs to get them flying again will be large.
Every Ontario float planes and most of Canada's other "interior" province's float planes for that matter spend their winter months parked right beside the very lake they operated off of all summer. I would also venture to guess with far less "storage preparation" then Porter's DH8/400 fleet has received, they will be just fine.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

TrilliumFlt wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:13 pm
Inverted2 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 am They should have moved their planes to a drier climate. Sitting them right beside a large lake which never freezes over for over a year is not a good place for long term storage.... Maintenance costs to get them flying again will be large.
Every Ontario float planes and most of Canada's other "interior" province's float planes for that matter spend their winter months parked right beside the very lake they operated off of all summer. I would also venture to guess with far less "storage preparation" then Porter's DH8/400 fleet has received, they will be just fine.
To be fair those planes are stored beside frozen lakes not onen ones like porter’s Q400’s. Float planes also barely have anything when it comes to electrical systems, no hydraulic systems etc.
There is a reason why AC sent tons of planes to the desert earlier this year.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Yeah, they had nowhere to store them. Porter has most of YTZ to store airplanes. Storing planes isn't anything new. They'll do what the manuals need and it will all be okay.

Either way, I can't wait to fly Porter again. I wish they'd be able to make a go of it flying west. The east coast has their bubble, the US is Corona central, so operate between a network that runs Montreal to Saskatoon? I'm sure smarter people than myself have looked at this. I just wish it was justifiable.

I agree they have a much nicer inflight product than the other airilnes. It's great to sit down, have a beer, relax and enjoy the comfortable seats. Encore might as well have made seats from particle board panted teal, then charge you $1 for the complaints form.

172cptn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 172cptn »

Hate to say it, but the title of this thread needs to include the year.... :?

Negative Ghostrider the pattern is closed
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:19 pm I wish they'd be able to make a go of it flying west. The east coast has their bubble, the US is Corona central, so operate between a network that runs Montreal to Saskatoon?
The US should reach herd immunity well before Canada. They have had way more cases per capita, and are vaccinating at a rate 3x faster than Canada.

Return to “Porter Airlines”