Thoughts?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Pilot@123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thoughts?

Post by Pilot@123 »

---------- ADS -----------

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Thoughts?

Post by Curiousflyer »

It's likely we'll see more and more new entrants to the aviation market over the next few years. The airlines around today are laden with debt while a new entrant comes in we relatively little debt, or at least less debt to service in the short term, and are able to gain market share as the larger airlines try to run profitably to pay off their debt.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

My thought?

It looks like they're hoping to move in if'n'when Porter fails. They're exploring the territory and hedging their bets, I think. But I really don't know much about this.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

A shame it's under the US flag :cry:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

digits_ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:59 pm A shame it's under the US flag :cry:
US flag or not, it’s a predatory move.

Porter in the past has been my favourite airline to fly as a pax on!

(You guys have the BEST back end crews I’ve ever had the pleasure of flying with! I am proud to have known many of the crews sitting at the pointy end too!)

I’m hopeful that things will become normal again although I am not holding my breath! 😔

Keep your chins up guys (and gals!)

TPC

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:32 am Porter in the past has been my favourite airline to fly as a pax on!

(You guys have the BEST back end crews I’ve ever had the pleasure of flying with! I am proud to have known many of the crews sitting at the pointy end too!)

I’m hopeful that things will become normal again although I am not holding my breath! 😔

Keep your chins up guys (and gals!)

TPC
+1

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Must have legal authorization to work in Canada and travel in/out of Canada without restriction
• Airline Transport Pilot Certificate Multi-Engine Land (Transport Canada or FAA)

Does this mean they are hiring Canadians for a US airline?

theflyingmoose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by theflyingmoose »

Curiousflyer wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:49 pm It's likely we'll see more and more new entrants to the aviation market over the next few years. The airlines around today are laden with debt while a new entrant comes in we relatively little debt, or at least less debt to service in the short term, and are able to gain market share as the larger airlines try to run profitably to pay off their debt.
Porter claims to have a strong balance sheet, but I guess nobody really knows since they're privately held. They've been fairly quiet throughout the pandemic, but their move to completely shut down at the beginning was probably the most prudent.

Connect's plan definitely raises a lot of questions. It seems like they're running the exact same business model as Porter (premium travel, short flights out of YTZ with Q400s); unless they're confident that Porter is going under (which isn't a lock), they must believe that this specific market is big enough for 2 players - it'd be pretty reckless otherwise.

They're also a US airline with their only hub in Canada. Throw in all the complications about vaccines and border crossings and I can see WMA quietly pulling the plug in a few months ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blogging about aviation insights in Canada! https://theflyingmoose.net
Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

mijbil wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:57 am
Must have legal authorization to work in Canada and travel in/out of Canada without restriction
• Airline Transport Pilot Certificate Multi-Engine Land (Transport Canada or FAA)

Does this mean they are hiring Canadians for a US airline?
This is what is confusing to me. I've heard of several former colleagues from Sky Regional interviewing with them, both pilots and FAs. I'm a bit perplexed as to how a US company could hire Canadian flight crew unless they're planning to set up a separate OC here in Canada. If that's the case, they would be subject to Canada's foreign ownership rules for airlines, and there would have to be another (Canadian) party involved with this venture. If not, how could they be hiring Canadian pilots to fly N-registered planes on an American OC? Clearly, that would be impossible.

There's more than meets the eye going on behind the scenes with this operation - if I were going to apply, I think I'd hold off until more information becomes available.

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

Cavalier44 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:20 am If not, how could they be hiring Canadian pilots to fly N-registered planes on an American OC? Clearly, that would be impossible.

There's more than meets the eye going on behind the scenes with this operation - if I were going to apply, I think I'd hold off until more information becomes available.
Would the company be able to just provide green cards? I'll admit my knowledge in this area is pretty poor, so perhaps someone else could chime in as to why a green card could or could not work?

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Curiousflyer wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:52 pm
Cavalier44 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:20 am If not, how could they be hiring Canadian pilots to fly N-registered planes on an American OC? Clearly, that would be impossible.

Would the company be able to just provide green cards? I'll admit my knowledge in this area is pretty poor, so perhaps someone else could chime in as to why a green card could or could not work?
It's not quite so simple. In order for an American company to sponsor an individual for a green card, they have to receive an approved Labour Certification for the US Department of Labour. Put simply, in order to receive said approval, the company has to demonstrate that there is a shortage of qualified workers who are eligible for that position. I find it hard to imagine that there could be a shortage of qualified pilots in the US, especially during these times where many are out of work (although the situation is quickly improving south of the border).

Even if they were to go through all the legal hurdles in order to sponsor Canadian pilots for a green card - the question is, why? What advantage would there be to doing so? And is there really any demand for the service that they're planning to offer, beyond what Porter already offers? Will there be enough people travelling through YTZ in a post-COVID world to sustain competition between Porter this previously unheard of, upstart company? I'm not so sure.

Return to “Porter Airlines”