Porter receiving E195-E2?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Porter receiving E195-E2?

Post by goleafsgo »

---------- ADS -----------

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Porter receiving E195-E2?

Post by igorcanuck »

There are tons of good deals and opportunities for expansion due to the pandemic. Makes sense to me

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Jets on the Island? Can't see that suddenly happening.
I wonder if the geographic shift of slightly less people in the major urban cores has made the model of secondary airport hubs, ie Flair, a real opportunity. Interesting.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

DanWEC wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:05 pm Jets on the Island? Can't see that suddenly happening.
I wonder if the geographic shift of slightly less people in the major urban cores has made the model of secondary airport hubs, ie Flair, a real opportunity. Interesting.
I can see Porter finally starting YYZ operations. The market is there once recovery begins (specially if larger airlines take time trying to expand again).

They probably got those dirt cheap and it does have a half descent range. I can also see a shuttle bus operate between YTZ and YYZ for a seamless check in process.

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

sanjet wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:10 pm
DanWEC wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:05 pm Jets on the Island? Can't see that suddenly happening.
I can see Porter finally starting YYZ operations. The market is there once recovery begins (specially if larger airlines take time trying to expand again).

They probably got those dirt cheap and it does have a half descent range. I can also see a shuttle bus operate between YTZ and YYZ for a seamless check in process.
I'll take it a step further, if PD do indeed start operating the E195-E2 out of YYZ, then it's not too much of a stretch to envision them rotating DH4s in and out of YYZ via current airports, example, YTZ - YOW - YYZ to support the new fleet with connection traffic.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Not happening.

Porter is not in any financial situation to purchase new aircraft.

What are they going to do with them? Park them next to the Qs?

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:37 pm Not happening.

I would NEVER underestimate this organization.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

rxl wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:17 am

I would NEVER underestimate this organization.
AC was happy to throw a couple of SKV, JZA Express Dash 8's at Porter to keep then "inline" down at CYTZ. However at CYYZ/CYHZ/CYOW/ Porter can expect that AC will bring out the full weight of the Mother Ship as will WestJet.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

They would only get 2 E195 in 2022 and the rest in 2023. I think it’s a great move considering Embrear was desperate to sell and the timing would work in terms of recovery.There’s no real capital to spend until then.

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

Where have I seen this before?

Is this pilot retention program 2.0? (Which I heard they didn’t pay)

http://www.airportspotting.com/porter-buys-cseries/

Last edited by PT6onH20 on Thu May 20, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

PT6onH20 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:00 am Where have I seen this before?

http://www.airportspotting.com/porter-buys-cseries/
That was conditional on jets being allowed on the island.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

What exactly would be the mission of PorterJet? What would be the target market? What would be the overhead? What would be the yields?

A 105 seat E195 will not cut it as a ULCC platform. Is there a niche in Canada for a premium brand product? Who is the model? JetBlue? Virgin America?

The idea seems kind of far fetched. But you never know - perhaps there is someone at Porter HQ that fancies themself the next David Neelman.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

There’s a possibility they’re telling the truth to the media when they said there’s no plans for Porter to fly these jets.
If Porter Aviation Holding did buy these planes, it’s likely the parent company is looking to diversify and get into the aircraft leasing business. With ULCC’s popping up around the World and large discounts on aircraft to be had now would be a good time to get into that market. Most airlines parent companies have other businesses in the aircraft leasing world. God knows Porter Aviation Holdings could use some revenue right now.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:25 am There’s a possibility they’re telling the truth to the media when they said there’s no plans for Porter to fly these jets.
If Porter Aviation Holding did buy these planes, it’s likely the parent company is looking to diversify and get into the aircraft leasing business. With ULCC’s popping up around the World and large discounts on aircraft to be had now would be a good time to get into that market. Most airlines parent companies have other businesses in the aircraft leasing world. God knows Porter Aviation Holdings could use some revenue right now.
That is more likely the play. Or resale.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

I think there are some interesting underserved point to point opportunities in this country that don't have the volume for a narrow-body aircraft, but are too far apart for a Q400.

That said, leasing, or reselling delivery slots, could net them a small profit given the timeline - 2022-2023 may see some sector growth.

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

Everyone's being very tight-lipped, not so much denying, more a case of refusing to comment.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... t-service/

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

YYZ jets will be the end of Porter. I don't know why every airline always needs to expand. Just find your niche and do it well.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

**** wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:47 pm I don't know why every airline always needs to expand. Just find your niche and do it well.
It's the Capitalist Imperative as it were; perpetual growth or death.

Some would also argue for hegemony or survival - but realistically companies are more than willing to pretend to "compete" as long as they can maintain a duopoly (or which ever sort of -opoly exists).

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

The chances of any of these smaller carriers succeeding just keeps decreasing. If it was just porter or just flair or just swoop or just Canada jetlines (if that’s still a thing) I think it’s possible for one of them to be successful. Unfortunately right now all the carriers are going to have so much capacity that it’s just going to result in some short term pricing war with likely none of them coming out the other end.

Julian.B
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Julian.B »

It's tough to enter the market out of YYZ, competing against WJ and AC. Maybe Porter will focus on other cities? Ottawa? Hamilton?

I also don't see Jets going to YTZ. With that being said, some new jets are way quieter than the Q400s or that abomination called the MU2. :) :lol:

Return to “Porter Airlines”