Sky Regional Travel Benefits

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Sky Regional Travel Benefits

Post by HansDietrich »

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about moving over from Jazz to Sky Regional. I hate the Dash 8 and that's the only reason I want to move. I would have no other reason. The reason I want to stay in the "AC family" is to get the travel benefits. We travel a lot and I don't want to give them up. My question is:

What are the travel benefits at Sky? Are they they identical to Jazz? What about "priority"?

Thanks,

Hans
---------- ADS -----------

Das ist mir wurst...
speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Sky Regional Travel Benefits

Post by speedah »

awww muffin.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

speedah wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:20 pm awww muffin.
You seem like the type of retard that would take anything thrown at him. Good on you you f*cking keener, now go jerk off to emails from your OPS manager telling you what a great "company man" you are!

Das ist mir wurst...
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

I can't say with 100% certainty, but I would think your AC passes are the same C4's based on hire date. I don't know if you get Westjet reciprocal JS, and you would lose out on all of the ALPA reciprocal JS. If most of your travel is on AC passes with family not much changes. If you are a commuter and travel alone often looks like you will have to dig deeper with someone who knows exactly what airlines you can JS.

nwopilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nwopilot »

Are you on the classic dash or the Q?

What don't you like about? Is it the plane? Or is it the type of flying you do with it?

Flying the E175 would be nice for a few months, but then you would begin to realize that you miss "Jazz" and all of the perks and benefits.

I heard something about being automatically disqualified from Air Canada if you switch express carriers, but I am not completely sure about that.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

montado wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:05 pm I can't say with 100% certainty, but I would think your AC passes are the same C4's based on hire date. I don't know if you get Westjet reciprocal JS, and you would lose out on all of the ALPA reciprocal JS. If most of your travel is on AC passes with family not much changes. If you are a commuter and travel alone often looks like you will have to dig deeper with someone who knows exactly what airlines you can JS.
Thanks for that. I imagined it would be C4s, but I wasn't too sure. I use the My ID travel often, going back and forth to Europe. (LH / Swiss)
nwopilot wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:10 pm Are you on the classic dash or the Q?

What don't you like about? Is it the plane? Or is it the type of flying you do with it?

Flying the E175 would be nice for a few months, but then you would begin to realize that you miss "Jazz" and all of the perks and benefits.

I heard something about being automatically disqualified from Air Canada if you switch express carriers, but I am not completely sure about that.
I'm on the Classic and I really really don't like it. Every day I see guys flying the Q it makes me feel like crap that I don't. Takes away the joy of working for this great company. If I were on the Q I'd stay at Jazz, no doubt. I'm looking at Sky, AT and Sunwing, anything to get out of flying the Dash 8 100/300. It's an old, ugly aircraft that is way outdated, uncomfortable, I freeze my ass off (in the -300) now that winter is here, etc etc.

There are many reasons. I really don't understand why anyone likes flying this plane, except those who have flown it so long that they don't want to move on to something else.

Das ist mir wurst...
Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Maybe because they aren't snowflakes and can actually enjoy the people they work with, have some dinner on layovers and do other things? or maybe it is you that is the problem? How many pilots do you have below you?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

From a former sky employee, I think the OP has nailed the subject on the head. The only advantage to changing companies is sitting in a more comfortable airplane, period.

You only get C4 passes from the big red family, that's all. Plus jumpseats I think, but check that out.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

If you hate the classic so much, bid over to the Q. If they won’t waive your freeze, go fly it out of Vancouver instead and you will LOVE it.

I’m guessing you’re Toronto based? Or are you YUL? If Toronto, that’s a mighty short list, and even super junior you’d be able to hold some pretty good flying once they fill all those vacancies.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

by HansDietrich » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:07 pm
That's pretty cool. It seems to be that positions being offered are very diverse from class to class.

In the end, we all agreed when we applied to Jazz that regardless of what base or plane we get, even if we're the last pick, we'd be okay with it. I certainly will be. Sure, we all have our preferences, but just flying for Jazz is reason enough to have me ecstatic. Every city / base has its own pros and cons. Metal really does not matter. 

The way I see it:
- Vancouver is beautiful, great flying on all airplanes
- Calgary is also great, mountains close by
- Toronto is a world class city and there are so many options if one does not want to live in the actual GTA.
- Montreal is a fantastic city with great culture. 

I'd be super happy with whatever I get.
"I'd be super happy with whatever I get."

Now you're looking at Sunwing? but wait what about this...
 by HansDietrich » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:02 pm
As a Canadian pilot that busted his ass for more than 7 years flying in the Arctic, I find that the practice of hiring temporary foreign pilots INSULTING. So, I may not have a 737 Type Rating, but that's hardly a "disqualifying" factor, considering I've been flying left seat, turboprops for a while. Never mind the many laid off corporate jet pilots, etc etc that are more than qualified (minus a 737 TR) to fly for Sunwing.

Because of that, I have not and will never fly or go on any vacation where Sunwing operates the flight. There are other options, even if they are more expensive. I also tell every one of my friends that fly Sunwing what they do. Most don't care, as long as they get their $600 all inclusive trip to Cuba. They'd fly Air Botswana if the price was "right"
"Because of that, I have not and will never fly or go on any vacation where Sunwing operates the flight."

Bravo Hans.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

You're not wrong Oxi...

I did say every one of those words and at the time I believed them.

I'm still not sure about Sunwing, for the reasons I mentioned before, but at least I get to fly a 737 that will open OTHER doors. A Dash 8 wont... (and that's the only reason I'd ever go there, is to get a 737 Type Rating)

Wait... why is this about me not liking the Dash?

Das ist mir wurst...
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

You can go you whole career chasing tin but I think when its all said and done you will realize that was your number one priority when it could have been number three or four.

Like really a 175, Worth moving companies for? Wont you be left seat RJ at Jazz in 12-18 more months? I get it if you want to leave some day and fly a heavy (or Suuppaaa :rolleyes: ), maybe it has always been your dream. But I think fewer steps in the process is the best way to go.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

Dude. Are you mental? The classic Dash-8 is an absolute....classic. Try to enjoy it before you're flying a jet, disconnecting at minimums and haven't sync'd a prop in years.

PROC_HDG

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Come on guys! Please!

This topic is about Travel Benefits at Sky Regional, not about what plane I fly. It's my choice what plane to fly, who to work for and what base I want. I appreciate it.

Das ist mir wurst...
Magnetron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Magnetron »

I fly the classic. I love it. Would not want the Q. RJ maybe eventually.
Sorry the classic makes you unhappy.
But if a guy is unhappy, he's unhappy!

Anyhow, I know from a Sky commuter that you at least get WJ reciprocal jumpseat.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

To answer your actual question, you get the same C4 benefits as jazz pilots. You also get a fairly comprehensive list of reciprocal jumpseat agreements.

Now, can we go back to discussing why somebody would actually consider leaving jazz for sky because they dont like the classic? Then maybe we can segway into why somebody wouldn't like the classic?

PROC_HDG

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

could be worse, could be flying a 1900 at evas or ggn :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

PROC_HDG wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am Dude. Are you mental? The classic Dash-8 is an absolute....classic. Try to enjoy it before you're flying a jet, disconnecting at minimums and haven't sync'd a prop in years.

PROC_HDG

He's right, the dash/Q400 will likely be the last real airplane you will fly. In short months you will be captain on the Q or the Jet with a HUD and a APU and you can rag on the dumpster pilots all you want. I wouldn't want to go back to the bottom of another list just because the dash smells like a dirty old boat

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Hans,

If I get this right, you are looking to visit your family in Europe from time to time.

As indicated before, you'll get the bottom line C4 with Sky. As far as jumpseats are concerned (and I no longer work for them since 2 years), I cannot recall any jumpseat authorities with the likes of lufthansa or air france, or british airways. Do not take that as gospel though, things may have changed for the jumpseats.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Hans you should really reconsider that application to Sky. No offence intended to that pilot group, but I have spoken to a couple Jazz pilots that went over and they both said it was a big mistake.

Return to “Air Canada”