Hiring

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hiring

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

Do they hire with IATRA only? or ATPL is a requirement these days at Sky Regional?
---------- ADS -----------

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Hiring

Post by HansDietrich »

They accept IATRA, but you've got better chances with an ATPL

Das ist mir wurst...
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 pm They accept IATRA, but you've got better chances with an ATPL

Are they hiring 800 hour guys like Jazz or do they require more?

Thanks

gravelpapi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gravelpapi »

No they are not, they require more. Candidates typically have 1500 hr or well over that mark. Most have some sort of multi turboprop/jet time or high performance single turbine with a ATPL in hand. Folks that have 1500hr + but do not have the ATPL signed off have/had jet time. As previously mentioned ATPL is a big thing for them.

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spirit »

I’m gonna apply with a CPL + IATRA. I have 705 time, multi crew, turbine, EFIS, etc. See what happens.

IFLY81
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IFLY81 »

Hello ,

Whats the Command upgrade time and requirement at Sky Regional ?

Thanks.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

There is an upgrade matrix.

FYI I'm not management, and things could change, but it's the following:

5000 hrs plus, 0 on type, 1000 hrs total transport category jet
5000 hrs plus, 500 on type, No PIC EFIS Transport Category or jet
4500 hrs, 0 on type, 1000 hrs PIC EFIS Transport Category
4500 hrs and 500 hrs on type
4000 hrs and 750 hrs on type
3500 hrs and 2 consecutive years at sky regional

You would get roughly 1000 hrs per year give or take, however possibly less in your first year due to training, line Indoc, etc.

So if you come in with only 1500 hrs, it'll probably take you just over 2 years to get 3500TT, likely 2.5 years or more, at which point you'll have the 2 consecutive years required. If you come with more experience, it'll take you less time to hit the matrix, but captain spots will be awarded in order of seniority first (whoever meets the matrix).

They may still be hiring DEC based on the matrix, I know there were a lot of Porter guys with enough TT/Q400 PIC time to qualify.

Hope that helps!

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

CZBBYYZPilot wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:06 am There is an upgrade matrix.

You would get roughly 1000 hrs per year give or take, however possibly less in your first year due to training, line Indoc, etc.

So if you come in with only 1500 hrs, it'll probably take you just over 2 years to get 3500TT, likely 2.5 years or more, at which point you'll have the 2 consecutive years required. If you come with more experience, it'll take you less time to hit the matrix, but captain spots will be awarded in order of seniority first (whoever meets the matrix).

They may still be hiring DEC based on the matrix, I know there were a lot of Porter guys with enough TT/Q400 PIC time to qualify.

Hope that helps!

So is Porter losing guys to sky regional and Jazz?

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Porter? Yes. A handful of DEC for sure, for the PML I imagine mostly.
Jazz? Not really, a few guys a while ago, but no, not significantly. Sorry I re-read the question again. Guys going from Porter to jazz? Not a clue.

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

7507 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:51 pm

Hope that helps!

So is Porter losing guys to sky regional and Jazz?
The above poster is mostly correct but unless you pick up tons of overtime you’re not going to be flying 1,000 hours a year. For reference I flew 640 hours in 2017 and 580 hours in 2016. YUL E175 FO.

IFLY81
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IFLY81 »

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the information.

With 5000 hrs plus ( Jet time ), 0 on type , 1000 hrs total transport car Jet...Whats the upgrade time with present seniority ?

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

You could possibly apply for DEC with time like that. (you meet the upgrade matrix afterall). If they took you as an FO, I don't think it would be too long before they would need you left seat. The attrition has been heavy lately (to AC, SW, TS...). I think there's quite a few FOs meeting the matrix, but some of them are leaving before they get upgraded. Again, I have no connection to management so this is just my best guess.

IFLY81
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IFLY81 »

CZBBYYZPilot...Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

IFLY 81

Do keep in mind if you're applying as DEC that you will have terrible seniority and bidding rights. Be okay with not having much control of your days off requests and vacation for the next 2-3 years as you wait for the FO's hired after you to fly, meet the matrix, upgrade, and be behind you. You have a pretty heavy list of Captain's ahead of you no matter which base they put you in. Not to mention the list of FO's who will be upgrading in the next 1-2 years that are also ahead of you. Yes, even that guy who has 1500 hours and a CPL will be ahead of you when he upgrades in 2 years on a freshly signed off ATPL. Be okay with that.

That being said, we are short staffed. I also think that most of the Captain vacancies available are going to internal upgrades. With the hype of ALPA Card Drive, I would think the company is likely threading carefully on hiring DEC's to offset risk in pissing off FO's who are at upgrade or near upgrade that are now losing a position to an outsider coming in.

In 2015-16 there was a push for DEC's as they didn't have any FO's able to upgrade. Those FO's are now meeting the matrix. So it's a bit of a different situation. As well, in 2015-16, the seniority list was suspended for better part of 8 months. Which meant if you came in as a DEC, you had a very good shot at decent seniority. So if you talk to anyone who came in during that time, their experience as DEC will be very different than your satisfaction level given the position of your seniority if hired as DEC.

Also, the requirement in our circular specifically says, should the need exist for Direct Entry Captain's, and only after Risk Assessment has been made on FO's who could upgrade below matrix, then the requirements for DEC are 6000 hours, and 1000 PIC Transport Category. The company has realized that a 3000 hour FO with 2500 hours of CRJ with a good head on his shoulders and a good training file/recommendation is likely an okay upgrade candidate as opposed to the 3000 hours PC 12 Captain that is doing his first airline gig. Hence the excerpt about them even going as far as risk assessments being made on people below the matrix, before hiring DEC's.

Just a few things to think about.

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spirit »

Anyone know when the next GS is scheduled?

IFLY81
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IFLY81 »

GATRKGA wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:35 am IFLY 81

Do keep in mind if you're applying as DEC that you will have terrible seniority and bidding rights. Be okay with not having much control of your days off requests and vacation for the next 2-3 years as you wait for the FO's hired after you to fly, meet the matrix, upgrade, and be behind you. You have a pretty heavy list of Captain's ahead of you no matter which base they put you in. Not to mention the list of FO's who will be upgrading in the next 1-2 years that are also ahead of you. Yes, even that guy who has 1500 hours and a CPL will be ahead of you when he upgrades in 2 years on a freshly signed off ATPL. Be okay with that.

That being said, we are short staffed. I also think that most of the Captain vacancies available are going to internal upgrades. With the hype of ALPA Card Drive, I would think the company is likely threading carefully on hiring DEC's to offset risk in pissing off FO's who are at upgrade or near upgrade that are now losing a position to an outsider coming in.

In 2015-16 there was a push for DEC's as they didn't have any FO's able to upgrade. Those FO's are now meeting the matrix. So it's a bit of a different situation. As well, in 2015-16, the seniority list was suspended for better part of 8 months. Which meant if you came in as a DEC, you had a very good shot at decent seniority. So if you talk to anyone who came in during that time, their experience as DEC will be very different than your satisfaction level given the position of your seniority if hired as DEC.

Also, the requirement in our circular specifically says, should the need exist for Direct Entry Captain's, and only after Risk Assessment has been made on FO's who could upgrade below matrix, then the requirements for DEC are 6000 hours, and 1000 PIC Transport Category. The company has realized that a 3000 hour FO with 2500 hours of CRJ with a good head on his shoulders and a good training file/recommendation is likely an okay upgrade candidate as opposed to the 3000 hours PC 12 Captain that is doing his first airline gig. Hence the excerpt about them even going as far as risk assessments being made on people below the matrix, before hiring DEC's.

Points noted !!
What is the time frame for internal upgrade for a Pilot who joins now with my experience ?
Thanks.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Everything said here is true, although I do want to add that your seniority will only affect your 4 requested days off a month and your vacation weeks bids. The flying you get is social bidding (at least for the near future), so you have as good a chance as any to get the flying you want. Just don't expect to be off on weekends and holidays as others will bid these on their top 4 lines. If you pick days in the middle of the week, you'll get them. If you want the winter/fall for vacation, then you'll get it.

Internal upgrade with that time? I can't say for sure. You meet the matrix already, so it just depends on attrition, and if there are enough upgrade FOs to fill the need. Maybe 6 months to a year? Not sure though.

Return to “Air Canada”