Junior Captain Pay and Lifestyle Questions

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

zipper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Junior Captain Pay and Lifestyle Questions

Post by zipper »

I'm debating jumping ship from my current job for direct entry Captain at Encore. I have looked at the base pay and have a few questions. How much overtime is available at the moment? If I were to work max overtime, what could I expect in terms of gross pay (including per diems).

I am assuming that junior captains start out holding reserve; how much time in do you typically need before you can hold a non-reserve schedule in CYYZ?
---------- ADS -----------

billgeno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Junior Captain Pay and Lifestyle Questions

Post by billgeno »

I can't speak to the pay as I am a Q400 FO, however with regards to OT, we see open flying being posted quite a bit - more so for Skippers.

As to your schedule, we use a socialized bidding system which means everyone has equal opportunity for a schedule that works for them. Since starting on the line, I personally have not seen a day of RES and I know DEC that have had the same experience. I commute to YYZ from YOW, and am home greater than 50% of the month, and that's while holding 18 days on schedule.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Yes Base pay (75hrs) WOULD suck, however I don't know a single person here at Base pay.

I currently operate on average 83 hrs a month, next month will be my first with Res and its only 3 days. Perdiems are around 10-1100 a month.

Long story short is, if you want to maximize your pay and utilize max ESP than you can easily make 85k in year 1. If you don't use ESP it will drop by up to 10%.

Add in a few days of OT and Perdiems, it's not to shabby.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

You can expect 85-90 hours a month as capt. Open time emails are nonstop. Being junior doesn't matter as it's socialized bidding. They can't schedule you more than 8 days a month of res.

Return to “WestJet Encore”