Westjet FO Encore Ad Gone?

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

unpressurizedhead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Westjet FO Encore Ad Gone?

Post by unpressurizedhead »

Is Encore no longer looking for FOs? On the job search page I see:

WestJet Encore Flightpath - First Officer Pilot Program
WestJet Encore - School Partnership - First Officer Pilot Program
---------- ADS -----------

ahkhamza
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Westjet FO Encore Ad Gone?

Post by ahkhamza »

Surplus of candidates in the pool. Maybe 6 months

YYZGDP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YYZGDP »

Surplus of candidates? For real?
Run away folks. Go to Jazz.

Only good thing right now is that Encore is a good path to AC

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

ahkhamza wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:48 pm Surplus of candidates in the pool. Maybe 6 months
Where did you get this info from ?

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

YYZGDP wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:11 am Surplus of candidates? For real?

Yup, especially since they’re entering contract #1 with ALPA... it’ll take years to gain positives that other pilot contracts have.

ahkhamza
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ahkhamza »

YYZGDP wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:11 am Surplus of candidates? For real?

Encore is a good path to Westjet mainline(5 years). Jazz is a good path to AC(2 years) so if u get Jazz then go for it!

LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LennyLeonard »

I doubt the ad will be down long, they did the same thing a few months ago and the ad was up again in a month.

YYZGDP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YYZGDP »

ahkhamza,

Encore is not the fastest path to WJ mainline, if you look at the newer OTS hires at mainline. The only people who have to wait 5 years are the Encore fellas. I know of many getting in at WJ mainline without any 705 time

Encore has been an excellent stepping stone to AC these past few years.
Jazz is indeed a good path to AC, 2 years wait.

Back to my initial reaction, surprised there's a surplus of candidates given the recent encore turmoil (mainly the loss of the 1 list). Where's the incentive to come here? Not a lot comes to mind.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
YYZGDP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YYZGDP »

Yes indeed, last class was 100% from Encore, but that was a "goodwill gesture" from management announced shortly after the one list went void.

Time will tell, but it's not sustainable for the company to flow 100% from Encore. Out of the 120 YYZ Capt spots at Encore, under 70 are currently filled. Flowing 16 pilots a month when you're upgrading 3, flow at this rate will not last.

Word from mainline is that they're currently over staffed due to the MAX situation, the multiple cancellations are due to less people picking up OT than usual.

With regards to the original topic, I'll say it again, I'm completely blown away that Encore has a large amount of applicants. Career progression prospects took a serious dive a few months ago.

YYZGDP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YYZGDP »

DropTanks wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 am
YYZGDP wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:13 pm I also heard we have zero resumes for mainline. Lots for Swoop and Encore. Go figure.

I simply don't understand anything anymore. Go figure is right!!!!!!!!

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

YYZGDP wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:09 am
DropTanks wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 am
YYZGDP wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:13 pm I also heard we have zero resumes for mainline. Lots for Swoop and Encore. Go figure.

I simply don't understand anything anymore. Go figure is right!!!!!!!!
Isn’t WestJet the only one of the 3 that requires a pilot to have their AA’s and PIC time? Could be the reason

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

YYZGDP wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:02 am Yes indeed, last class was 100% from Encore, but that was a "goodwill gesture" from management announced shortly after the one list went void.

Time will tell, but it's not sustainable for the company to flow 100% from Encore. Out of the 120 YYZ Capt spots at Encore, under 70 are currently filled. Flowing 16 pilots a month when you're upgrading 3, flow at this rate will not last.

Word from mainline is that they're currently over staffed due to the MAX situation, the multiple cancellations are due to less people picking up OT than usual.

With regards to the original topic, I'll say it again, I'm completely blown away that Encore has a large amount of applicants. Career progression prospects took a serious dive a few months ago.
Genuine question:

How do you think Onex will deal with Encore since Encore pilot? Encore is 100% owned by Westjet, who would want to buy it?
Will they let Encore die in profit of Swoop and Mainline ?
What about Encore routes ? Are they profitable ?

Does the Encore collective agreement include some kind of incentive to flow towards mainline ?

YYZGDP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YYZGDP »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:47 am
YYZGDP wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:02 am Yes indeed, last class was 100% from Encore, but that was a "goodwill gesture" from management announced shortly after the one list went void.

Genuine question:

How do you think Onex will deal with Encore since Encore pilot? Encore is 100% owned by Westjet, who would want to buy it?

Does the Encore collective agreement include some kind of incentive to flow towards mainline ?
I personally think Onex will keep encore more or less status quo. Encore is deeply integrated with WJ, separating it would be complicated.

I cant imagine Onex would let Encore die in profit of swoop and mainline. WJ aspires to be a large network airline and the regional flying plays a huge part to feed the hubs. Swoop isn't integrated in the WJ network at all.

As far as I know, Encore is profitable, its purpose is to feed the hub and the majority of the routes are fairly successful.

The incentives to flow are the better WAWCONs of being at a mainline carrier. Also, there's now a cash top up that Encore captains get in the first 2 years to help absorb the pay cut of level 1 and 2 WJ FO pay. The big carrot was, of course , the One list.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

YYZGDP wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 am
kiaszceski wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:47 am

Genuine question:

I personally think Onex will keep encore more or less status quo. Encore is deeply integrated with WJ, separating it would be complicated.

I cant imagine Onex would let Encore die in profit of swoop and mainline. WJ aspires to be a large network airline and the regional flying plays a huge part to feed the hubs. Swoop isn't integrated in the WJ network at all.

As far as I know, Encore is profitable, its purpose is to feed the hub and the majority of the routes are fairly successful.

The incentives to flow are the better WAWCONs of being at a mainline carrier. Also, there's now a cash top up that Encore captains get in the first 2 years to help absorb the pay cut of level 1 and 2 WJ FO pay. The big carrot was, of course , the One list.

If Encore Captains get cash to absorb level 1 and 2 WJ FO, but the One list doesn't exists anymore, what's the point ?
And What is the One list exactly, I feel like it is one senioity list for all Westjet pilots (Mainline, Swoop, Encore) . is it more than that ?
So Encore Captains will need to be interviewed again and they are going to the BOTL ?

Taking into account what you said is that a 80k Encore Captains will continue earning more or less 80k until level 3 WJ FO, right ?
Whereas when you flow from Jazz to AC you lose almost 30k until year 3 ?

How Jazz is better than Encore considering automatic flow to WJ ?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

This must be the first time someone complains about an ad being removed on adcanada

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

ad is back online.

Return to “WestJet Encore”