Commuting Policy

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Flyer7342
Rank 0
Rank 0

Commuting Policy

Post by Flyer7342 »

I am considering applying to encore in the near future but I cannot find any reliable information on commuting. Is it true that there a commuting policy that allows you to try a few flights and not be penalized if you don't make it? I have also heard that it is your responsibility to make it on time for your pairing and you might get fired if you dont make it.

Any current information on commuting or a link to the cba would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Commuting Policy

Post by tbayav8er »

The commuting policy is gone. We can still commute on the "available crew member" policy, which allows us to commute for free. The ACM just means they can activate you while you are commuting.

What I heard is that as long as you make a "reasonable effort" to get to work, you won't be disciplined. Ie. if the flights are all pretty well sold out, and you only gave your self one flight to get to work, and you don't make it on, it won't look so good. If there were lots of open seats, and you gave yourself a backup flight, and something totally unexpected happens like the first flight gets cancelled for maintenance, and you get bumped from the 2nd flight because it all fills up from people from the first flight, then you might be marked as a "no-show" and lose some flight credit until you are reassigned, but you might not get in trouble.

This is just how I have interpreted what's going on, so take it for what it's worth.

I haven't heard of anyone running into problems, personally. I've been commuting since the new contract, and haven't had any problems really.

Flyer7342
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyer7342 »

Thank you for the quick reply. You answered all my questions!

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

What tbayav8er mentions is correct.

The caveat that I'll give is that although there are many commuters at Encore, and I do believe that Flight Ops management is not looking to punish anyone, there is NO commuting policy anymore. It cannot be taken as a given that you will be able to commute indefinitely. The Available Crew Member (ACM) policy is not enshrined in the contract as it may be affected by the new duty regs. The company can choose to not renew it at their own discretion.

So although right now the company is generally ok with commuters, they really want to have people living in their base and not commuting. In addition, commuting may not be free in the future. There also has not been much debate or settling on what is reasonable. I've not heard of anyone getting discipline for missing a pairing... yet.

Don't get me wrong, I commute and the company has been great about it. But I don't want folks coming here with the assumption that commuting will be no issue when there is a strong possibility that it will get significantly more difficult.

Return to “WestJet Encore”