One List is Back!!

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

One List is Back!!

Post by shawnthesheep »

Thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: One List is Back!!

Post by DaveP »

Super happy for you guys!

It’s great to take the lead on this sort of arrangement in Canada. Once hired - no more interviews, “almost” no more pay cut to transfer to WJ (28,800 over 24 months until you hit step 3 pay after 2 years) It’s pretty sweet for a pilot starting at WJE. I’ve come to understand not a lot of pilots out there are aware of these big items.

Do the best job we can now - support our guests and support our growth! It’s been a weird couple years here but as I mentioned before - I think we have rounded the corner and the foot is on the gas.

Take care
Dave

Last edited by DaveP on Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
losercruiser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by losercruiser »

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Lol. Seriously

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Now if we could just remove the pink pay scale in between we would be on our way.🌈

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
FlyAlberta
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyAlberta »

DaveP wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:30 pm Super happy for you guys!

It’s great to take the lead on this sort of arrangement in Canada. Once hired - no more interviews, no more pay cut to transfer to WJ. It’s pretty sweet for a pilot starting at WJE.

Do the best job we can now - support our guests and support our growth! It’s been a weird couple years here but as I mentioned before - I think we have rounded the corner and the foot is on the gas.

Take care
Dave

Dave,

I would respectfully like to clarify some incorrect info in your post. Encore pilots still take a pay cut to flow to Mainline or Swoop. While REIP narrows the gap it does not fully make up the difference. I truly hope that there are discussions in the works to completely eliminate the pay cut for the folks advancing their career within the WestJet group.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi FlyAlberta!
I get it might not be exact dollars but my understanding is it’s $28,800 over 24 months. This keeps you topped up until you hit step 3 pay after 2 years. Still a fantastic uplift vs starting back at starting WJ wage sorry to mislead by saying “no pay cut”. I guess I should have said “almost no pay cut” :)
I’ll edit it!
Take care
Dave

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

DaveP wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:39 am Hi FlyAlberta!
I get it might not be exact dollars but my understanding is it’s $28,800 over 24 months. This keeps you topped up until you hit step 3 pay after 2 years. Still a fantastic uplift vs starting back at starting WJ wage sorry to mislead by saying “no pay cut”. I guess I should have said “almost no pay cut” :)
I’ll edit it!
Take care
Dave
Another way to interpret this post... All OTS candidates, you will be underpaid by approx. 28,800$ for the first two years, on top of being underpaid for the remainder of your career at WJ. AC is hiring though!

FlyingMonkey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FlyingMonkey »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:08 am
I’ll edit it!
Take care
Dave
Another way to interpret this post... All OTS candidates, you will be underpaid by approx. 28,800$ for the first two years, on top of being underpaid for the remainder of your career at WJ. AC is hiring though!
[/quot

And at AC you will be underpaid for the first 4 years at flat pay!
This enormous wage divide that you believe exists between WJ and AC is inaccurate. Top end pay for the narrow body at AC is comparable to WJ.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

I’ll edit it!
Take care
Dave
Hi Jet,
I guess you could look at it that way Jet - but the way I look at it is these guys and gals have contributed to our growth and success for likely a few years so they deserve this lift and perk.
Everyone has a choice and both companies - AC or WJ both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I honestly don’t mean to turn this thread into a bun fight but you have to admit it’s a pretty cool process now.

Cheers
Dave

losercruiser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by losercruiser »

If WestJet is so great why do most of your pilots have applications in at Air Canada?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

losercruiser wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:10 am If WestJet is so great why do most of your pilots have applications in at Air Canada?
Everyone gets it losercruiser. You’re a sky god now. All hail air canader.

losercruiser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by losercruiser »

ant_321 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:32 am
losercruiser wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:10 am If WestJet is so great why do most of your pilots have applications in at Air Canada?
Everyone gets it losercruiser. You’re a sky god now. All hail air canader.
I prefer astronaut.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I’ll edit it!
Take care
Dave
Were people saying the same thing when jazz had their top up going? I don’t remember that, instead in condemning it you should be asking why jazz doesn’t get a top up as well it’s the only way the industry is going to get better.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

fish4life wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:51 pm
I’ll edit it!
Take care
Dave
Were people saying the same thing when jazz had their top up going? I don’t remember that, instead in condemning it you should be asking why jazz doesn’t get a top up as well it’s the only way the industry is going to get better.
Well first of all Jazz top up is long gone. Nobody on their roster is making the WAWCON’s before the top up was offered. Those who refused a transfer suffered a penalty.
That being said.
It’s a sad state of aviation in Canada when we’re comparing a tier 2 regional to a mainline airline which is that tier 2 airlines main competition. That’s the hard reality we face. The contract at Jazz is stronger and management actually respects it, those two reasons alone give Jazz an upper hand! Top end pay is obviously better at WJ compared to Jazz (as it should be) but at the end of the day, the fact we’re even comparing a mainline job to a regional is disappointing.
As someone who has spent many years at Jazz and WJ, firstly let me say the grass isn’t always greener. But on top of that appreciate what you have at Jazz.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Lets get a couple things clear.

1) The Encore pilots negotiated to have the top up pay. No, the Encore pilots were not worried at all about any Westjet OTS hire as they are not on the property yet. The company didn't institute a top up pay what so ever, rather the pilots pushed for it as the Encore pilots did not want to take that pay cut. They voted for what the wanted and got it.

It doesn't matter what every other company has. Instead of looking at something like the "Jazz top up is long gone", ask yourself "why does Jazz still not have it?"

Maybe look at the Encore deal and say to yourself, what is good here and take it to the next negotiation of your own and keep raising the bar in the industry.
Yycjetdriver wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:19 pm Well first of all Jazz top up is long gone. Nobody on their roster is making the WAWCON’s before the top up was offered. Those who refused a transfer suffered a penalty.

2) Again, Collective bargaining. The Westjet pilots had huge fish to fry. They had a mandate, and quite frankly other than massive pay bumps they secured a lot of those mandates (.e, Swoop WAWCON). You say that the first two years are $28,000 under paid. What are the comparators for that assumption?

Yycjetdriver wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:19 pm Another way to interpret this post... All OTS candidates, you will be underpaid by approx. 28,800$ for the first two years, on top of being underpaid for the remainder of your career at WJ. AC is hiring though!

Thorjones
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Thorjones »

Future so bright now that even wj managements family members have resumes at AC.....

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Thorjones wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:58 am Future so bright now that even wj managements family members have resumes at AC.....
Of course management is going to be looking for jobs... they're the ones who have a target on their back. Onex isn't going to want to pay hundreds of people to do the jobs of tens.

As far as pilots are concerned, why wouldn't you always have an eye out? Air Canada pilots apply for WestJet too. It goes back and forth... right now it's WJ -> AC, but it'll soon flop back in the other direction.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:38 am
Thorjones wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:58 am Future so bright now that even wj managements family members have resumes at AC.....
Of course management is going to be looking for jobs... they're the ones who have a target on their back. Onex isn't going to want to pay hundreds of people to do the jobs of tens.

As far as pilots are concerned, why wouldn't you always have an eye out? Air Canada pilots apply for WestJet too. It goes back and forth... right now it's WJ -> AC, but it'll soon flop back in the other direction.
Just because you say it doesn’t make it true.

Return to “WestJet Encore”