2018 Pilot Hiring

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Handover »

Tap wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 am Would you think swg is better then AC?
For me, absolutely. I'm come from overseas, done the wide body thing, done the mainline thing, now it's just about the lifestyle. I get to deploy to Europe, and internally in Canada, spend a ton of time at home with my young family. I couldn't ask for more (except pay, but that is everywhere here). I doubt any other company here could give this kind of lifestyle, except if you are an AC Max pilot.
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

For those of you still waiting for a call or thinking of applying, today the company announced that they are opening Vancouver and Quebec City as full-time permanent bases, with the expectation that Calgary will become a permanent base late next year. This would leave Winnipeg as the only remaining seasonal winter base.

So, the permanent bases would be YVR, YYZ, YUL and YQB, with YYC to follow in the near future. YQB is understaffed at the moment with the new base announcement, so the rumour is that new-hires and very junior upgrades would go to YQB first. YVR is overstaffed, so it would probably be a while for a new-hire to get YVR.

European bases haven't been finalized yet but it looks like the usual suspects from years past (Belfast, Aberdeen, various UK, Amsterdam and Poland/Czech Republic), except for Dublin won't be a base due to possible Brexit issues.

circle2land
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by circle2land »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:30 pm For those of you still waiting for a call or thinking of applying, today the company announced that they are opening Vancouver and Quebec City as full-time permanent bases, with the expectation that Calgary will become a permanent base late next year. This would leave Winnipeg as the only remaining seasonal winter base.

So, the permanent bases would be YVR, YYZ, YUL and YQB, with YYC to follow in the near future. YQB is understaffed at the moment with the new base announcement, so the rumour is that new-hires and very junior upgrades would go to YQB first. YVR is overstaffed, so it would probably be a while for a new-hire to get YVR.

European bases haven't been finalized yet but it looks like the usual suspects from years past (Belfast, Aberdeen, various UK, Amsterdam and Poland/Czech Republic), except for Dublin won't be a base due to possible Brexit issues.
Thanks for the new info.
Does anyone have any info on when the next GS class will start from the latest wave of interviews?

Cheers

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:30 pmEuropean bases haven't been finalized yet but it looks like the usual suspects from years past (Belfast, Aberdeen, various UK, Amsterdam and Poland/Czech Republic), except for Dublin won't be a base due to possible Brexit issues.
Curious that Belfast and other UK bases are unaffected by Brexit but Dublin is.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

shimmydampner wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:20 am
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:30 pmEuropean bases haven't been finalized yet but it looks like the usual suspects from years past (Belfast, Aberdeen, various UK, Amsterdam and Poland/Czech Republic), except for Dublin won't be a base due to possible Brexit issues.
Curious that Belfast and other UK bases are unaffected by Brexit but Dublin is.
It’s because the Dublin base was operated under TUI UK. If the UK leaves the EU, you couldn’t have a base in an EU country (Dublin) operate under a non-EU operator OC (TUI UK).

Their solution is to move the plane from Dublin to an EU base, which is rumoured to be Cardiff, Wales. This way, all aircraft operating under TUI UK will actually be based in the UK (Belfast, Aberdeen, Cardiff and whatever bases they choose in England).

rayslin1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rayslin1 »

daedalusx

If you are still willing to answer a few questions about sunwing new bases, or other information not readily available on the CBA, can you shoot me a PM, I cant send any yet ( just registered )

that goes for anyone currently working at sunwing and willing to chat.

Thanks

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

Just ask the questions here? No secret about bases. Looks like our Canadian permanent bases just grew by 1. It’s now YVR, YYC, YYZ, YUL and YQB. Bid is currently open for YYC base.

We’re hiring another 100 pilots.

Summer bases are finalized last part of January. It’s travel service we always wait for. We have long term contracts signed with TUI and Travel service. Thinks it’s 10 bases this summer.

Whip

RocksAndProps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RocksAndProps »

My understanding is 10 Euro wet-lease airplanes this summer, with a couple bases doubled.

Last edited by RocksAndProps on Mon May 11, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

What kind of experience the the most recent FO hires have ?

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

FenderManDan wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:01 pm What kind of experience the the most recent FO hires have ?
A mix of everyone including a hand full of cadets. From what I've seen, King Air captains to expats coming home and a few military guys.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Mostly 705 capt and FOs, 704 capt, MRU cadets, heavy corporate jet pilot in last class.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

How long are upgrades taking?

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Handover »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:23 am How long are upgrades taking?
Last upgrades - the lowest seniority have been there one year. But then they also have walked in with considerable time and command >100k kg time

Last edited by Handover on Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

can someone give the latest update on the interview process? do you still have to do a written exam on technical questions?

thanks

circle2land
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by circle2land »

latest class full of experience, 705 PIC time, 777 captain back from the sandbox, military, etc.

Interview process: 1 HR , 2 Pilots, standard behavioral questions. Technical questions are oral and not written, asked by the panel.

Hope that helps

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Any news on upcoming GS and how many guys they’ll need? Anybody been called that did interviews back in December?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I am not sure if there will be any more groundschools this winter or spring. The March schedule just came out and it doesn't show anyone doing groundschool or new-hire SIM (for YYZ at least). They probably put people in the pool so if they need to run a class, they have a group that they can draw from. Every month though we do lose a couple pilots who go to AC and there are a few retirements coming up, but with the summer slow season approaching, we may have enough pilots to last through until the fall.

I would call the HR contact that you received when you interviewed and ask if there are any plans for hiring this spring or summer.

Full Deflection
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Full Deflection »

I did ring Human Remains and apparently nothing is planned due to the MAX debacle.
12,000h on 737 and no interview, but who said life is fair?
F.D.

Full Deflection
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Full Deflection »

Yeap, those are definitely my whiskers and teary eyes!
F.D.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

I would watch to see what happens to deployments for summer 2020.

If the Coronavirus impact on Europe continues then summer travel demand will disappear and there will be no need for subcontracted capacity from SWG.

Return to “Sunwing”