2018 Pilot Hiring

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by JoeyBarton »

No groundschool in sight?
---------- ADS -----------

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

There's rumors for upgrades in Fall. So if this is true, there should be GS as well.

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

ant_321 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 am The deployments are quite popular. I am very bummed I won't be going to Europe this summer and my wife even more so.

We get our regular pay plus quite a significant amount of money in "allocation" which is tax free (per diem if you will). The rates differ depending on the contract you are working on. Some places you will be provided accommodations and a car with less allocation and some places you have to fend for yourself but you get significantly more allocation. We more less work under our own working conditions unless a European regulation doesn't allow it (ie duty times).

We only fly C reg airplanes so no issues with licensing.

This year the company reinstated a short groundschool for crews that are deploying. It is the first one in a number of years. Although some things are done somewhat differently across the pond, it isn't rocket science and with a little bit of self study you can figure it out.

Hope this helps.
That sounds like a pretty good deal! Might have to throw in an application someday 8) When you do these deployments, are you considered to be an employee of the airline that contracts Sunwing's planes? Like do you get staff travel benefits with the contracting airline, or do you have to pay full fare to do some travelling on your days off?

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

No no yes !

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

Fair enough

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

About 30 upgrades coming up so more hiring to come.

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

When is the next gs forecast to be held? September?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

New memo out stating up to 70 new-hires for this fall/winter. Interviews will be conducted June through December.

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

Job posting is now live

stratosphere
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stratosphere »

Is Edmonton still a base? Does anyone know if this latest hiring includes positions based in Edmonton? Do they still have positions just for the winter season or has that changed to all year round?

10-15 days/month away from home still accurate?

Thanks for the info!

Spitfire0511
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spitfire0511 »

Any idea what's the status of those who interviewed last December and received the 'good email' three months later? Are they still in the pool?
Thanks!

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

stratosphere wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 am Is Edmonton still a base? Does anyone know if this latest hiring includes positions based in Edmonton? Do they still have positions just for the winter season or has that changed to all year round?

10-15 days/month away from home still accurate?

Thanks for the info!
There are only 2 permanent bases for now. YYZ and YUL. There are seasonal winter bases. Edmonton has been one in the past but not last winter, I haven't heard anything about the seasonal bases for this winter. Everyone hired is now hired on a permanent basis. No more seasonal pilots, although there usually are LOA's available if you desire.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

stratosphere wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 am 10-15 days/month away from home still accurate?
There's a mix of single days all the way up to 7 day pairings. Pick what works best for you. There's guys who only do single day pairings and haven't packed an overnight bag in years. Personally my sweet spot is 4-6 day pairings to cut down on the commute, plus the per-diems are better for multi-day pairings as opposed to single days.

Expect to work a lot in the winter as a junior pilot. I'd say 15 days per month on average since you get the less productive flying. Senior pilots who do more productive flying may only work 8-10 days per month in winter (9 hours credit per day on average X 10 days per month = 90 hours). In the summer, you work a lot less if you choose to stay in Canada and not deploy to a European base, since there are fewer flights down south.

And yes, you can be forced to deploy to a European base, but it hasn't happened for a few years and there are restrictions on how long they can send you. I actually bid for Europe this summer and my seniority couldn't hold it. I'll try again next year!

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Sounds dreamy. Now if they would only get permanent western bases ...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

daedalusx wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:22 pm Sounds dreamy. Now if they would only get permanent western bases ...
It surely does! It’s on my list of “ideal gigs”

Spitfire0511
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spitfire0511 »

I will repeat the question I posted above since it got mixed with another topic:

Does anyone knows if those interviewed in December and who received a confirmation that they were successful during the interview are still being considered for the upcoming ground schools? In other words is there still a pool from the previous round of interviews?
Thanks for the info, cheers.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

Spitfire0511 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:20 pm I will repeat the question I posted above since it got mixed with another topic:

Does anyone knows if those interviewed in December and who received a confirmation that they were successful during the interview are still being considered for the upcoming ground schools? In other words is there still a pool from the previous round of interviews?
Why don’t you call them and ask. That way, there’s no doubts.

Spitfire0511
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spitfire0511 »

Xonga013 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:26 pm
Spitfire0511 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:20 pm I will repeat the question I posted above since it got mixed with another topic:

Why don’t you call them and ask. That way, there’s no doubts.
I did, no joy.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

So you’re saying that you successfully passed everything and then they left you hanging? Did you even have a job offer letter? Weird.

Spitfire0511
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spitfire0511 »

Xonga013 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:24 am So you’re saying that you successfully passed everything and then they left you hanging? Did you even have a job offer letter? Weird.
No, just had the interview and three months later the classic 'The interview was successful you will be placed in a pool for a year' like most of pilots who ended up being hired.

Is there anyone else from the December interviews in the same boat?

Return to “Sunwing”