2018 Pilot Hiring

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

likambo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by likambo »

daedalusx wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:37 pm Anyone got called for July GS yet ?
Yes. Some got called already.
---------- ADS -----------

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

Why is there a need to take on Cadets in Canada? Plenty of experienced pilots here. Do they pay them less or something?

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

As I suspected we’re looking for captains now. Some immediately..for July. Last number I heard was a need for 60 captains internal or external.

Amazing how things change

Whip

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

What's happening that they need DEC? Don't hear of any expansion. Retirements? Attrition?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

whipline wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:08 pm As I suspected we’re looking for captains now. Some immediately..for July. Last number I heard was a need for 60 captains internal or external.

Amazing how things change

Whip
Where did you hear that? I didn't get that memo. I hope you're right. I love moving up the seniority list.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Air.Field wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:35 am What's happening that they need DEC? Don't hear of any expansion. Retirements? Attrition?
The last captain bid had unfilled/unbid positions.

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jd832 »

There is always expansion at Sunwing. Sunwing will have a busier winter season with more flights out of Saskatchewan because Air Transat will no longer fly there this winter. Sunwing will have two aircraft based there; one in Regina and one it Saskatoon (no crew base). Sunwing has announced several new destinations not previously available from certain Canadian cities and towns. In addition to that, Sunwing will return to the U.S. with flights out of Detroit and Buffalo to southern destinations. The winter season will be followed by a larger 2019 summer deployment as TUI announced their 2019 summer expansion. I've heard 11 aircraft deploying to Europe next summer. This is a great opportunity to live in Europe paid for by the company.

There is a lot of attrition to Air Canada mostly on the FO side with a few captains here and there. On average, FO's have moved up 30 numbers between now and last fall. Sunwing is a great company to work for, but Air Canada is Air Canada and you'll always have pilots wanting to fulfill their life long dream.

In regards to upgrades, I'm guessing the company will put out another bid as a last chance short term opportunity. Roomer has it they will be offering DEC as they interview for those who qualify with experience that matches or exceed our type of operation.

Last edited by jd832 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Some main points to summarize all of the above posts of why Direct Entry Captains may be required:

1. A lot of F/O's don't meet the upgrade matrix requirements (5000 TT, 2000 Jet, etc).

2. Some of the senior F/O's who could upgrade don't want to as they have better relative seniority as F/O's.

3. Increased flying this upcoming winter (2% growth over previous winter).

4. More summer flying next year out of Europe and the U.S.,( The U.S. flying was news to me!)

5. Continued attrition to Air Canada, Swoop, WJ and others.

6. A couple senior Captains reaching age 65 in the near-term who will retire or move back to the right seat.

7. As SWG is a young company, large batches of junior Captains reach the next segment of increased vacation at the same time, which requires more pilots to back-fill.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Spitfire0511
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spitfire0511 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 am Some main points to summarize all of the above posts of why Direct Entry Captains may be required:

1. A lot of F/O's don't meet the upgrade matrix requirements (5000 TT, 2000 Jet, etc).

2. Some of the senior F/O's who could upgrade don't want to as they have better relative seniority as F/O's.

3. Increased flying this upcoming winter (2% growth over previous winter).

4. More summer flying next year out of Europe and the U.S.,( The U.S. flying was news to me!)

5. Continued attrition to Air Canada, Swoop, WJ and others.

6. A couple senior Captains reaching age 65 in the near-term who will retire or move back to the right seat.

7. As SWG is a young company, large batches of junior Captains reach the next segment of increased vacation at the same time, which requires more pilots to back-fill.

And that's just off the top of my head.
With those expansion plans in mind and such need for pilots I wonder why there are still pilots who interviewed last December and are still waiting for the call? (the silence is killing us)

andrewhartjr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andrewhartjr »

I've always wanted to join Sunwing and I am very happy that I've received a call for an interview... Is the technical part of the interview a written exam or oral exam? any info about the interview would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

zipper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zipper »

andrewhartjr wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:39 am I've always wanted to join Sunwing and I am very happy that I've received a call for an interview... Is the technical part of the interview a written exam or oral exam? any info about the interview would be highly appreciated! Thanks!
What sort of times/experience do you have? Just trying to get a feel for what will get a guy in the door.

andrewhartjr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andrewhartjr »

zipper wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:25 am
andrewhartjr wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:39 am I've always wanted to join Sunwing and I am very happy that I've received a call for an interview... Is the technical part of the interview a written exam or oral exam? any info about the interview would be highly appreciated! Thanks!
What sort of times/experience do you have? Just trying to get a feel for what will get a guy in the door.
I've got 4000h, about 1000h jet, the rest is king air with 1500 PIC... I have been applying multiple times a year since I have 3000h...hope it helps.

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

Got a call last week to come in and do an interview. I'm just curious what to expect on the technical and cognitive test so I can start preparing.

something_generic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by something_generic »

Info from a reliable source: 70 to 80 Pilots to be hired from Jul 2018 to Mar 2019. First GS planned Jul 23.
Plans to hire more cadets this year (over 10) :shock: . Over 40 Cpt upgrades scheduled from Jul

Slowprop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Slowprop »

Did get a call for an in person interview also

About 4500TT with 2500twin pic 1000of those on a Dash8

First time applying

gonnabeapilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gonnabeapilot »

JetA Burner wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 pm No word on what they're doing with those of us that were pooled from December 2017 interviews? I hear some reference checks have been completed for some.

I suppose 10 July will be the tell all, if 23 July is the start date. Fingers crossed. The silence is killing us!
Apparently by now everyone that interviewed in late 2017 should have either received a phone call with an offer for a course date or an email telling them that they were dropped from the pool. If you haven't received either one, get in touch with your internal reference at Sunwing and have them contact the CP office on your behalf as your file may have somehow been lost in the shuffle and the CP wants to make sure there have been no oversights.

Qwertyflyboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Qwertyflyboy »

Slowprop wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 pm Did get a call for an in person interview also

About 4500TT with 2500twin pic 1000of those on a Dash8

First time applying
When did you apply and how long did it take for you to hear back

Slowprop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Slowprop »

Did apply for the first time about 1 month ago when there was a posting.

Qwertyflyboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Qwertyflyboy »

something_generic wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 am Info from a reliable source: 70 to 80 Pilots to be hired from Jul 2018 to Mar 2019. First GS planned Jul 23.
Plans to hire more cadets this year (over 10) :shock: . Over 40 Cpt upgrades scheduled from Jul
Why cadets when there are experienced pilots. Is it a ploy for the management at Sunwing to have long-term career FOs for whom it will take a long term to upgrade or be marketable elsewhere? Or are they made to sign significantly expensive bonds with the promise of flying a 737?

something_generic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by something_generic »

Qwertyflyboy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:09 pm
something_generic wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 am Info from a reliable source: 70 to 80 Pilots to be hired from Jul 2018 to Mar 2019. First GS planned Jul 23.
Why cadets when there are experienced pilots. Is it a ploy for the management at Sunwing to have long-term career FOs for whom it will take a long term to upgrade or be marketable elsewhere? Or are they made to sign significantly expensive bonds with the promise of flying a 737?
A bit of both, actually. Plus it attracts more students to the Universities/ Colleges where Sunwing hires its cadets. I'm sure they pay a cut to Sunwing. It's a vicious circle :evilbig:

Return to “Sunwing”