DOH merge.

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: DOH merge.

Post by Dry Guy »

BOTL is in the contract and the company have stated that they intend to fully respect our collective agreement.
---------- ADS -----------

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Dry Guy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:53 pm BOTL is in the contract and the company have stated that they intend to fully respect our collective agreement.
Mom's calling Dry Guy, time to come inside

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Everyone is nicey nice now. That’s great. Make no mistake this will turn ugly. Like every other merger every other time. The Transat pilots will advocate for themselves only, as they should. And so will AC pilots.

It will be decided in arbitration and the Transat pilots will end up the huge winners. Especially the senior ones.

Enjoy your pay raise boys.

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

AT will be merge with Rouge, pilots will be place BOTL for seniority but carry years of services for pay and holidays, protected in they're current positions ... If you think the top AT pilots would be able to bid 777capt the day after the merger you're kidding yourself....Then after 2 years of lawsuits, a new seniority list will be created pissing off everybody... :goodman:

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It isn't going to be a full ratio integration top to bottom, or DOH.

The arbitrator will be loathe to award any big gains to one group solely at the expense of the other group.

You will possibly see the merge point start further down the list ie. below junior WB CA or senior LCC 767 CA or something... possibly you will see a seniority discount of some sort. ie 30 years AT get slotted around 20-25 AC, 20 years around 12-15, etc.

There will be status protections for a few years to manage the training requirements/break in period, delay the hit some may take... but in the end, when the bid opens up with an integrated list, all but the most senior 20% of AC guys will lose spots, and see delayed progression, AT guys will make some earnings gains and see better progression, stability, benefits. A few will see big windfall gains immediately - your most senior guys - but it won't be all AT CAs get mainline widebody or something...

Then we'll get age 67 and a recession, fin count will shrink, we'll all be fucked wondering why they ever did that...

If everyone comes to the table reasonably, we can get past it. I know AC MEC wants to see a smooth and fair integration if the deal goes through, but if AT MEC comes with demands for mainline WB for all they won't accept it and we'll all be in the hands of am arbitrator.

We all need to reduce our expectations.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

altiplano wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 amIf everyone comes to the table reasonably, we can get past it. I know AC MEC wants to see a smooth and fair integration if the deal goes through, but if AT MEC comes with demands for mainline WB for all they won't accept it and we'll all be in the hands of am arbitrator.

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding between whoever invented this TS WB to AC WB rumour and reality. TS does not have WB positions. All 330 positions are also 321 positions. The most junior 321 CA is paid and holds 330 CA status even though he or she has never flown a 330. So the idea that TS pilots expect some sort magic AC WB CA spot doesn't make any sense if you know the facts. I believe what the TS pilots want is a seniority list integration that is fair and then will bid whatever spot they personally think makes sense for them. I'd be surprised if any of them bid WB CA because their identity is wrapped around being a WB CA. They'll bid it if they think they can hold it at their preferred base with enough seniority to allow the QOL they need. The position doesn't matter, what matters is that the integration is done in a fair way to both pilot groups. Not DOH, not ratio, not any particular method. It's way too complicated for something simple like DOH to make sense. Someone is going to have to look at the two lists, the bases, the pay, the benefits, the schedules, everything, and figure out something that will be a fair integration for the majority of pilots at the new post merger AC. Not windfall, not BOTL, fair. Basically any deal that if you turn it around and offer it to the other group, they'd take it.

I think the only people who need to reduce their expectations are the ones that think a new hire at AC should be above a 20 year pilot at TS. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who genuinely believes that an arbitrator would decide BOTL for one group under the other.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

ahramin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:21 am
altiplano wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 amIf everyone comes to the table reasonably, we can get past it. I know AC MEC wants to see a smooth and fair integration if the deal goes through, but if AT MEC comes with demands for mainline WB for all they won't accept it and we'll all be in the hands of am arbitrator.

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding between whoever invented this TS WB to AC WB rumour and reality. TS does not have WB positions. All 330 positions are also 321 positions. The most junior 321 CA is paid and holds 330 CA status even though he or she has never flown a 330. So the idea that TS pilots expect some sort magic AC WB CA spot doesn't make any sense if you know the facts. I believe what the TS pilots want is a seniority list integration that is fair and then will bid whatever spot they personally think makes sense for them. I'd be surprised if any of them bid WB CA because their identity is wrapped around being a WB CA. They'll bid it if they think they can hold it at their preferred base with enough seniority to allow the QOL they need. The position doesn't matter, what matters is that the integration is done in a fair way to both pilot groups. Not DOH, not ratio, not any particular method. It's way too complicated for something simple like DOH to make sense. Someone is going to have to look at the two lists, the bases, the pay, the benefits, the schedules, everything, and figure out something that will be a fair integration for the majority of pilots at the new post merger AC. Not windfall, not BOTL, fair. Basically any deal that if you turn it around and offer it to the other group, they'd take it.

I think the only people who need to reduce their expectations are the ones that think a new hire at AC should be above a 20 year pilot at TS. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who genuinely believes that an arbitrator would decide BOTL for one group under the other.
Couldn't agree more. BOTL isn't going to happen, nor is windfall. But what is "fair"... I'm not so sure we'll see that either...

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

altiplano wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 amBOTL isn't going to happen, nor is windfall. But what is "fair"
Well, if everyone plays their cards correctly, this situation should lead to an improvement in the conditions of the entire pilot group. Fair would be all pilots get some of that improvement.

I think the less time we spend trying to make sure that those other pilots over there don't get any benefit, and the more time we spend trying to benefit all of us, the better off each of us will be individually. The alternative is a forced agreement where everyone is pissed off and everyone hates going to work.

As soon as the deal is done, it's time for all AC and TS pilots to start thinking of themselves as AC pilots. Period.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

As soon as the deal is done, it's time for all AC and TS pilots to start thinking of themselves as AC pilots. Period.
Right on. Whatever happens when the paint is dry that's where we need to be

But I'm not so certain there will be across the board gains. I know Transat pilots are going to see gains here, most AC pilots though? Not so much.

I don't have a problem if guys on the other side are getting improvements, I have a problem when it's 100% the result of my loss though.

I hope I'm proved wrong and a mutually beneficial integration solution comes. I guess we'll see. But I hope everyone at Transat sees the other side of it, guys here could be losing hundreds of numbers, after years of stagnation things are finally starting to move, now this... Anyway you slice that it's hard to take.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

What about the AMEs?

Both AC and AT represented by same union (IAMAW), both with collective agreements that include maintaining seniority in the event of acquisition/merger. Lots of AC new hires with 2-3 year seniority about to get royally pooched by incoming Transat employees.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

plhought wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:36 pm What about the AMEs?

Both AC and AT represented by same union (IAMAW), both with collective agreements that include maintaining seniority in the event of acquisition/merger. Lots of AC new hires with 2-3 year seniority about to get royally pooched by incoming Transat employees.
I'd be curious to know if Air Canada has hired more people in the last 2-3 years than the entire work force at Transat. If they have it would seem slotting Transat people above them will piss off more employees than it will placate.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Dry Guy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:20 pm
I'd be curious to know if Air Canada has hired more people in the last 2-3 years than the entire work force at Transat. If they have it would seem slotting Transat people above them will piss off more employees than it will placate.
I've said this before in this thread- It's not like Everyone at TS has been there for 30 years. There's a fairly even distribution from 0-30, with more day 0's being hired every month.
As far as I see it, not only is the entire group just a fraction of AC, everyone would dovetail in pretty homogeneously. For your average AC hire there would be just as many people below you as above. Zero sum.

Cheers

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

altiplano wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 am
If everyone comes to the table reasonably, we can get past it. I know AC MEC wants to see a smooth and fair integration if the deal goes through, but if AT MEC comes with demands for mainline WB for all they won't accept it and we'll all be in the hands of am arbitrator.

I think most of us at AT want to see a smooth and fair integration as well. I personally have no problem giving up my WB position as long as I can keep the same salary/benefits and the same base. Flying WB is definitely not for me and if I had the choice I would never do it again. It’s boring, jet lagged and always tired takes its toll on the body. I know many colleagues who share the same opinion.

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

Last edited by Takeoff OK on Wed May 22, 2019 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

If either list is non-DOH (AC) then DOH is out the window as even a possible outcome.

Take a look at the last couple of arbitrations south of the border. Weighted average of status/category and longevity. Fight has been over what weight to be used for each.

Biggest argument that ACPA will make is that the economic value of a TS WB seat is the equivalent of an AC NB seat and that TS pilots had no career expectation to a $300/hr WB seat. Therefore ACPA will argue that all of the TS pilot positions are de facto NB positions which will significantly affect weighting for status/category.

It will be an interesting process. Extreme positions will be pointless. And it definitely will not be settled on internet bulletin boards.

Best result of discussion here is to acknowledge that the 2 employers made a decision to consolidate and now the pilots must deal with the implications of that transaction.

There is significant disparity between the 2 pilot contracts. Hopefully the merger creates an opportunity to fix the shortcomings in the ACPA collective agreement.

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

Takeoff OK wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:12 pm Hey there, all you junior AC people posting ridiculous things while failing to reflect what the wiser members of your group are actually thinking:

Would you rather Onex buy us? Would you rather Onex grab our slots and start injecting real money into the fight? Would that be a better outcome for your career progression?

Think on that for a bit, and this time use your actual brain, instead of your ass.
I would way rather onex buy transat. Competition is good in aviation... Not to mention westjet is a disaster right now so again YES i would love for that to happen

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

DanWEC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:19 pm I've said this before in this thread- It's not like Everyone at TS has been there for 30 years. There's a fairly even distribution from 0-30, with more day 0's being hired every month.
As far as I see it, not only is the entire group just a fraction of AC, everyone would dovetail in pretty homogeneously. For your average AC hire there would be just as many people below you as above. Zero sum.
That may be true if AC was also evenly distributed but they have quite a junior demographic after many retirements and large hiring for the last few years. If an evenly distribute group is merged into a junior group the junior one is going to take a disproportionate amount of damage. And that doesn't even account for the improved WAWCON the TS pilots would get with a straight DOH merge. Such a deal would be quite lopsided in TS's favor.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Takeoff OK wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:12 pm Would you rather Onex buy us? Would you rather Onex grab our slots and start injecting real money into the fight? Would that be a better outcome for your career progression?
Yes, I hope that happens.

How about you? Where would you rather go?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

altiplano wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:44 am
Takeoff OK wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:12 pm Would you rather Onex buy us? Would you rather Onex grab our slots and start injecting real money into the fight? Would that be a better outcome for your career progression?
Yes, I hope that happens.

How about you? Where would you rather go?
Great. Look at that attitude. Here's a tip Takeoff. When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before.

Return to “Air Transat”