AC and TRZ Agree to Terminate Arrangement

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

727driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by 727driver »

OMG 30 pages of back and forth. Enough already. Air Canada will do what’s best for Air Canada not Air Transat. Remember Air Canada’s initial strategy was to eliminate Transat as a competitor not buy it. That strategy only changed to prevent another competitor to acquire it and keeping its marketshare alive. Somewhere between Air Transat existing in its current form to it just existing as a fare structure like Tango or a vacation package you can purchase from a travel agency or call centre like Air Canada vacations is where this is going to land. Let’s leave it like that until we hear otherwise. No one here knows the plan so stop professing you know what’s going to happen. Suffice to say we can all agree it’s going to be a long time before there will be enough leisure travellers to meet capacity to fill a red or a blue plane and that is going to mean some of us will be out of work and have to make some hard decisions going forward. Good luck to all of us.
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:02 pm spite[ spahyt ]

noun
a malicious, usually petty, desire to harm, annoy, frustrate, or humiliate another person; bitter ill will; malice.
a particular instance of such an attitude or action; grudge.

I wouldn't bother giving that 280 guy any response. He clearly has some very pressing mental issues, more than a little concerning given our profession.

I don't thing the simultaneous applications really mean anything. From what I gather it's just a formality to accept the CEWS. I'm sure other QC based companies are following suit. l wish it meant more :)

Do you see how one of the posters here, daydreaming on a post of undercutting AC pilots and taking their flying as "Air Canada" at Transat on the 321 and NG is not helpful in bridging any gaps and frankly indicative of everything that's wrong on this industry?

Why would you post that?

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

Lol, exactly. Big plus 1. Basically TS pilots telling AC pilots they are proud and willing to scab them out of their work and then tell us we are the a-holes....

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Again Altiplano, it’s your own interpretation. I never said TS pilots would undercut AC pilots... I just talked about A321neoLR and NGs flown by AC pilots at a discount price (isn’t what your already do with Rouge??). I hope you get better comprehension of the ATC coms in flight!
Stop being drama queen.
Lol, exactly. Big plus 1. Basically TS pilots telling AC pilots they are proud and willing to scab them out of their work and then tell us we are the a-holes....
FL280.. second in command

Last edited by FL320 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Altiplano, nobody on any of these Transat related threads has been more antagonistic than your buddy there. Everything I've said has been in response only. If you can't see that and you're defending his attitude, then all the best to you both.

Anyhow, back to waiting and watching for official news. For all we know AC will have acquired a stronger vertical integration for their tour arm only, and 600 pilots will be out of a job entirely, applying anywhere they can at the bottom of the ladder after 20 years on the job. C'est la vie.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

FL320 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:28 pm Again Altiplano, it’s your own interpretation. I never said TS pilots would undercut AC pilots... I just talked about A321neoLR and NGs flown by AC pilots at a discount price (isn’t what your already do with Rouge??). I hope you get better comprehension of the ATC coms in flight!
Stop being drama queens.
That's not what you wrote.

You said:

If I was CEO I'd buy AT and restart "Air Canada" (your quotations) operations with AT fins at a discount rate.

You did not mention AC Pilots, you said you advocated shifting Air Canada flight operations into Air Transat at a discount.

Maybe you need to reread how that statement could be interpreted.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:33 pm Altiplano, nobody on any of these Transat related threads has been more antagonistic than your buddy there. Everything I've said has been in response only. If you can't see that and you're defending his attitude, then all the best to you both.

Anyhow, back to waiting and watching for official news. For all we know AC will have acquired a stronger vertical integration for their tour arm only, and 600 pilots will be out of a job entirely, applying anywhere they can at the bottom of the ladder after 20 years on the job. C'est la vie.
I don't know him. I'm not commenting on his statements here.

Can you not see the antagonistic nature of talking about shifting flying at a discount?

That's not helpful in having a dialogue as professional colleagues. I think you've been quite reasonable in general, but some others not so much.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

altiplano wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:39 pm
FL320 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:28 pm Again Altiplano, it’s your own interpretation. I never said TS pilots would undercut AC pilots... I just talked about A321neoLR and NGs flown by AC pilots at a discount price (isn’t what your already do with Rouge??). I hope you get better comprehension of the ATC coms in flight!
Stop being drama queens.
That's not what you wrote.

You said:

If I was CEO I'd buy AT and restart "Air Canada" (your quotations) operations with AT fins at a discount rate.

You did not mention AC Pilots, you said you advocated shifting Air Canada flight operations into Air Transat at a discount.

Maybe you need to reread how that statement could be interpreted.
Altiplano, seriously I don’t want to undercut any AC pilot. I am aware that we are the ones being bought and AC could then dispose at his convenience. You would even be surprised that I would be one of those who wouldn’t ask too much in a merger; ie any aircraft at any base, even downgrade as FO ..as long as I am not on flat pay; because I have 18 years of flying experience and I think it would be a disgrace to be so poorly compensated.
Now when I hear college kids like FL280 who was a flight instructor just 3 years ago talking about the poor career choices of other very experienced colleagues; it pisses me off; just because the kid got lucky to be in a good timing.
Yes I really love the job at Transat, and I love the company’s culture and many of us know that this acquisition would be the end of this. AC would bring other very good things (job security like you have is golden nowdays) but imagine how it feels when you are forced to change what you love knowing you won’t even be welcomed with open arms..

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

Very humble that you would even accept not being a Captain at Air Canada after 18 years of flying experience.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

98 Corolla wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:20 pm Very humble that you would even accept not being a Captain at Air Canada after 18 years of flying experience.
I am willing to make concessions as long as it is FAIR for everyone.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

So maybe you shouldn't write things like that then?

Whether alluding to moving AC flying to AT, or your statement about being sure that AC guys will be a "good FO for you" or others. Stop being antagonistic about it.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

altiplano wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:53 pm So maybe you shouldn't write things like that then?

Whether alluding to moving AC flying to AT, or your statement about being sure that AC guys will be a "good FO for you" or others. Stop being antagonistic about it.
In all fairness, if you are going to comment on one side of that stupid discussion those two are having perhaps you can ask the one on your side of the fence to show a bit more class.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

When I talk to my friends (even the ones working in the aviation industry) I have noticed their main concern about going back to flying is the probability of getting the virus in the confined cabin. You may probably help in sharing the info on how the air system works.
There is an interview (in French) with the Engineering Director of Airbus, saying that it takes 3 min for the entire cabin air to be recycled through HEPA filters.

here is a video from Delta: https://news.delta.com/video-air-filtr ... abins-safe

IATA: https://www.iata.org/contentassets/f11 ... uality.pdf

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

I agree with FL320.

99% of transat guys are your chill, happy to get whatever concessions possible type people.
If the likes of fl280 can show some class, you’d find that most transat guys are the same dudes that welcome you with open arms as they do when you jumpseat with them, and make sure that not only you get club class, but will delay a flight to make sure no pilot is left behind.

Really wish you Ac boys and girls have a grasp of what sort of culture is joining you.

On a completely different note.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/air-ca ... -1.5551402

If these hypotheses from AC are to be taken seriously, it looks like the Ac transat deal will go through. Why wouldn’t it if things are normal by Christmas?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

GATRKGA wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:37 am
“.......if things are normal by Christmas?”
You are kidding, right?

If capacity was back to 60-70% of plan by Xmas that would be a minor miracle. Most operators expecting much less. Perhaps a good percentage of city pairs will be serviced, but the amount of seats offered will be substantially less than otherwise expected pre-COVID reflecting decreased demand.

And most adversely affected will be international routes. Canada and Canadian operators can not dictate how foreign jurisdictions decide to treat visitors, nor the personal sentiments of the population as to whether they are willing to travel by air. The virus does not recognize borders and portions of the globe are just seeing the onset of the spread.

‘Normal’ is likely somewhere out in the late 2021 or early 2022 time frame. Airline capacity will see 2019 levels sometime after that.

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Do you see the deal happening Rudder? You usually show a lot of knowledge and wisdom on this forum..

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

To be fair, a lot of the posts here were quite nasty on both sides. One side posted bad stuff, the other side said bad stuff to piss guys off. This has been 30 pages of a pissing contest. And yes, I fully participated....

At the end of the day, we can’t control this and will have to live with the consequences of corporate decisions. We will argue about seniority and it will probably be arbitrated.

If you guys want to make me some sort of scape goat for the TS merger, I assure you the sentiment of not wanting a merger from AC pilots is very real. Did I blow off steam and say stuff in the heat of the moment? Yup, but its frigging avcanada for crying out loud, kinda what its for.

As for the “horrible career choice” comment, I will explain and take that back in a way. Transat seems like a fun place to work, fun destinations, nice equipment, good schedules etc... can one compare Transat with the career stability Air Canada brings ? No, absolutely not.
If given the choice between TS and AC and one was to chose TS, yes I believe that would be a bad choice. Now I do understand, downturns and bad aviation times have limited options for pilots are guys go where they get a call.

For the record, here is my honest opinion on the merger.

1) I rather it doesnt happen
2) if it does happen, a ratio merger with, yes a penalty to Transat pilots, taking into account career expectations, pay etc is fine. No BOTL, no doh, something that makes sense. I stand by 2-5 years penalty for TS, in the current environment, it makes sense.
3) 1 list, no scope changes, we will fight about it and then we will have to get along as one.

All the best to everyone, I will try to stay out of this thread the best I can, because obviously this has become an fl280 crusade. An account that was created to blow off steam

Fl280

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Wizzair is restarting today
https://www-bristolpost-co-uk.cdn.amppr ... 094633.amp

To limited airports in Europe but it’s a good move. Let’s see how it goes; other airlines will follow. Wizz CEO thinks that leisure travel will recover quicker than the business travel.

China too: Huge Increase In Chinese Air Travel As Lockdown Eased
https://simpleflying-com.cdn.ampprojec ... surge/amp/

Last edited by FL320 on Fri May 01, 2020 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

What happens if AC just waits for Transat to go bankrupt?

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Dry Guy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:28 am What happens if AC just waits for Transat to go bankrupt?
It’s like waiting to see a unicorn 🦄. AC is smart enough to know it’s not gonna happen...

Return to “Air Transat”