AC and TRZ Agree to Terminate Arrangement

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

VeRmiLLioN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by VeRmiLLioN »

FL320 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:35 pm Sunwing’s 2020 domestic program to kick off June 26
https://www.travelweek.ca/news/sunwings ... f-june-26/

Transat is gonna wait and watch?
They actually used a FSX image. Wow.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
Sunwing-finalizes-summer-schedule-to-operate-without-737-MAX-8.jpg
Sunwing-finalizes-summer-schedule-to-operate-without-737-MAX-8.jpg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

DanWEC wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:07 am What's worse is that in the fall, the couple thousand in the bottom chunks of all seniority lists here, and tens of thousands of American pilots, will all be competing for a handful of jobs worldwide, once the realization of the outlook really sinks in in the next few months.
Canadian and American ? Pilots Worldwide will be competing for the jobs. Czechs. Poles. South Africans. Russians. Panamanians. Colombians. Indians....

airboy1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airboy1 »

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

What does the article have to do with the thread topic? Rousseau is talking 5 years out. He is also talking about aircraft that are pretty easy to acquire. It has been well known for a few years now ( ever since AC started converting Max 9’s to 8’s) that AC would need to rework the 321 replacement. With that said it was also understood that because the 321’s in AC fleet are the newest of the 320 family, the replacement would come later.

Air Canada cancelled 11 737 MAXs in March so it could have flexibility to order other aircraft, according to CFO Michael Rousseau. The change reduced Air Canada’s firm MAX order from 61 to 50

“It gave us some optionality on potentially some other planes we might want to look at in the middle of the decade,” Rousseau told the Wolfe Global Transportation Conference. “Those 11 were basically being delivered in the middle of this decade.”

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

FL320 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:35 pm Sunwing’s 2020 domestic program to kick off June 26
https://www.travelweek.ca/news/sunwings ... f-june-26/

Transat is gonna wait and watch?
That is 6 round trip flights per week (12 segments) for the entire summer.

If the SWG European summer wet lease program is cancelled, then it will be running at about 2-3% capacity.

Can SWG or TRZ afford to be effectively closed until early November? I guess we will see.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

That is 6 round trip flights per week (12 segments) for the entire summer.
It's actually 18 segments - not that it matters much. However there is more than that going on. In any case - maybe it's just enough to pay the bills, or at least offset a chunk of the loans the government is offering.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

That’s a start. Air Transat has announced flights to Puerto Vallarta from Vancouver three times a week starting beginning of July.
https://www.traveloffpath.com/flights- ... nd-canada/

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Keep an eye on what the Feds do with the quarantine requirements. If the 14 day remain-at-home rule is extended through the summer it will have a significant impact on international travel demand (inbound).

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Keep an eye on what the Feds do with the quarantine requirements. If the 14 day remain-at-home rule is extended through the summer it will have a significant impact on international travel demand (inbound).
It's time to open the country and get everyone back to work. I'm getting tired of watching the PM repeat the same message day after day with the only new info being "Who won the Trudeau Jackpot Lottery today?". His spending is looking more like vote purchasing than economic stimulus, and I'm happy he supported airlines with regards to the voucher but disappointed that he's playing games on a stimulus package to help them. I wouldn't back stimulus if it was due to bad management and corporate practices and I give credit to the airlines for planning ahead and being ready for bad times .. but these are beyond what anyone could plan for.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Localizer wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:01 am
It's time to open the country and get everyone back to work. I'm getting tired of watching the PM repeat the same message day after day with the only new info being "Who won the Trudeau Jackpot Lottery today?". His spending is looking more like vote purchasing than economic stimulus, and I'm happy he supported airlines with regards to the voucher but disappointed that he's playing games on a stimulus package to help them. I wouldn't back stimulus if it was due to bad management and corporate practices and I give credit to the airlines for planning ahead and being ready for bad times .. but these are beyond what anyone could plan for.
Many other countries and at least 2 U.S. states also have 14 day international arrival quarantine orders in place. Even Hawaii is quarantining US citizens arriving from the mainland.

The summer will be a write off for international passenger airlines.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:06 am
Many other countries and at least 2 U.S. states also have 14 day international arrival quarantine orders in place. Even Hawaii is quarantining US citizens arriving from the mainland.

Just this summer? I’m thinking winter 2020/21 as well. Tam has said quarantine will remain in effect for people arriving in Canada as a best practice measure for the foreseeable future.

So you vacation in Mexico and have to quarantine on return. You travel to the UK and you have to quarantine twice. Once on arrival in the UK and again when you return to Canada. I guess it is about concern over a second wave.

If a second wave does emerge, and this is likely, this winter will also be a write off.

Moreover interprovincial travel will remain restricted to essential only, until phase 3 of most provinces reopening plan. A second wave will push phase 3 down the road. I can’t travel to whistler this winter unless rules get changed.

I see the industry locked in its current state until summer 2021 assuming a second wave.

So the million dollar question. Which airlines/travel industry at large survive a year plus under these conditions?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

The house of cards that is excessive covid restrictions will topple. Governments and politicians in most cases need to be re-elected at some point, and continuing down this ill defined path won't achieve that for them.

It is becoming clear to the people that it has gone too far and the world will move on soon... some will howl, but the media will get their next story and the next news cycle crisis will begin.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

altiplano wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:51 am The house of cards that is excessive covid restrictions will topple. Governments and politicians in most cases need to be re-elected at some point, and continuing down this ill defined path won't achieve that for them.

It is becoming clear to the people that it has gone too far and the world will move on soon... some will howl, but the media will get their next story and the next news cycle crisis will begin.
The next news cycle should be the rampant fraud and theft in billions that happened with these government programs. It’s going to be embarrassing. I’ve spoken to someone up higher in the bank sector, they think easy 10-15% minimum have been on false claims that were easily identified. Going to be scary when they start looking harder.

I’ll be watching if the media even covers it.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

The next news cycle should be the rampant fraud and theft in billions that happened with these government programs. It’s going to be embarrassing. I’ve spoken to someone up higher in the bank sector, they think easy 10-15% minimum have been on false claims that were easily identified. Going to be scary when they start looking harder.

I’ll be watching if the media even covers it.
The National touched on the topic a few days ago, they interviewed a manager from a shelter in Vancouver, he's concerned because homeless street people are collecting CERB and he's worried what will happen when the government comes collecting from these people. I watched it and thought to myself "ya that's a tough situation", I then sprang back to reality as asked myself "WTF I thought CERB was for people who lost their jobs due directly to Covid-19?". We will all be paying for this ... the government has gone on record to say "no tax increases" .. bullish*t.

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

Fanblade wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:07 am
rudder wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:06 am

Just this summer? I’m thinking winter 2020/21 as well. Tam has said quarantine will remain in effect for people arriving in Canada as a best practice measure for the foreseeable future.

So you vacation in Mexico and have to quarantine on return. You travel to the UK and you have to quarantine twice. Once on arrival in the UK and again when you return to Canada. I guess it is about concern over a second wave.

If a second wave does emerge, and this is likely, this winter will also be a write off.

Moreover interprovincial travel will remain restricted to essential only, until phase 3 of most provinces reopening plan. A second wave will push phase 3 down the road. I can’t travel to whistler this winter unless rules get changed.

I see the industry locked in its current state until summer 2021 assuming a second wave.

So the million dollar question. Which airlines/travel industry at large survive a year plus under these conditions?
Without more than loans from government, there will be none left. Better question is how many will the government let enter CCAA before they change their current path.
This messaging seems to be wearing thin on my circle of reference. Soon this issue becomes more political and economical than safety.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

I agree.

Rudder nailed it on the last page.

Watch the Feds and their quarantine requirements
rudder wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:44 am Keep an eye on what the Feds do with the quarantine requirements. If the 14 day remain-at-home rule is extended through the summer it will have a significant impact on international travel demand (inbound).

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

EU antitrust regulators to investigate Air Canada, Transat deal

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tran ... SKBN2311GV

Air Canada, Transat deal faces intense EU antitrust scrutiny

https://www.reuters.com/article/transat ... SL1N2D70IH

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Regulators set a Sept. 30 deadline for their decision.
4 months is going to seem like an awfully long time in this environment.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

The fact that AC refused to make concessions to the European regulators is really telling as to their level of commitment to the deal, market is responding as well.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Sharklasers wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:49 am The fact that AC refused to make concessions to the European regulators is really telling as to their level of commitment to the deal, market is responding as well.
They say both companies; be careful to the confirmation bias :wink:
How do you expect the market to respond..jump to 18$? Lol

Return to “Air Transat”