AC and TRZ Agree to Terminate Arrangement

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by FL-280 »

We will see on June 11th. I meant Q2 in my last post. Honestly I dont know, just reading analysts coverage and trying to stick the pieces together. Do I wish the for the merger, No. Do I wish AT goes under? No
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

FL-280 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:53 am We will see on June 11th. I meant Q2 in my last post. Honestly I dont know, just reading analysts coverage and trying to stick the pieces together. Do I wish the for the merger, No. Do I wish AT goes under? No
On June 11 JME is going to get inundated with questions about cash on hand/cash burn rate and where is the AC transaction going.

He will have to be forthright about the first 2 items. On the third, he may just try the CR response of “awaiting third party review”. That will be a challenge with the known Sept 30 report date from the EU and the extension provisions of the purchase agreement.

Either way, it will make for an interesting call.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

You don’t wish AT to go under because it will affect your future. Even though you can now expect major concessions; imagine your future negociations if AC is the only one playing around.

There is a rumor that AT is going to recall about 200 pilots next month, unfortunately there is absolutely no communication from our union. It would be nice to know what are the discussions behind...as we know they will need some pilots for the PVR scheduled flights beginning of july.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

FL320 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:31 am You don’t wish AT to go under because it will affect your future. Even though you can now expect major concessions; imagine your future negociations if AC is the only one playing around.

There is a rumor that AT is going to recall about 200 pilots next month, unfortunately there is absolutely no communication from our union. It would be nice to know what are the discussions behind...as we know they will need some pilots for the PVR scheduled flights beginning of july.
Should be an interesting situation too - Is it really a recall when no one has been laid off yet?

I heard from a buddy that since technically everyone there is collecting their meager CEWS, nobody is laid off. Does that mean that the current 321 pilots get called out of inactive status to work even if they are junior to some 20+ year pilots currently needing a new initial or 330/320 ccq? :rolleyes:

Such a grey area, lol.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

GATRKGA wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:30 am
FL320 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:31 am You don’t wish AT to go under because it will affect your future. Even though you can now expect major concessions; imagine your future negociations if AC is the only one playing around.

Should be an interesting situation too - Is it really a recall when no one has been laid off yet?

I heard from a buddy that since technically everyone there is collecting their meager CEWS, nobody is laid off. Does that mean that the current 321 pilots get called out of inactive status to work even if they are junior to some 20+ year pilots currently needing a new initial or 330/320 ccq? :rolleyes:

Such a grey area, lol.
You’re right that’s what I heard too. From a company perspective it would be more efficient and economic to issue a schedule to the A321 pilots since no pilot is actually laid off. Someone from the union told me that there is no way it will happen, return to active status will be by seniority (and full initials on the A321 will be paid by the company-ie for A310 guys)... A grey area I agree and I wonder how the union will handle this.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

FL320 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:12 pm

Such a grey area, lol.
You’re right that’s what I heard too. From a company perspective it would be more efficient and economic to issue a schedule to the A321 pilots since no pilot is actually laid off. Someone from the union told me that there is no way it will happen, return to active status will be by seniority (and full initials on the A321 will be paid by the company-ie for A310 guys)... A grey area I agree and I wonder how the union will handle this.
Anything stopping the company from saying the group agreed to the LOU, and the LOU clearly states that those who took the CEWS deal aren't laid off? What recourse would anyone have I wonder, the language in the CBA is pretty clear. This isn't a recall if you're not laid off... Grieve it I guess.

It will be a mess. Honor seniority and the junior group pipes up about this situation. Don't honor seniority, expect bloodthirsty senior guys to just lose their shit when they're 3-4 years away from retirement. :cry:

Jean-Luc Monette
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jean-Luc Monette »

Deleted

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

https://images.app.goo.gl/Dbh2YYRmutZWKPsW7
those-who-stir-the-shit-pot-should-have-to-lick-the-spoon.jpg
those-who-stir-the-shit-pot-should-have-to-lick-the-spoon.jpg (127.61 KiB) Viewed 3442 times

Attachments
i-dont-always-stir-the-pot-but-when-i-do-i-use-a-big-stick.jpg
i-dont-always-stir-the-pot-but-when-i-do-i-use-a-big-stick.jpg (143.52 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
Jean-Luc Monette
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jean-Luc Monette »

GATRKGA wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:35 pm
FL320 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:12 pm

Such a grey area, lol.
Anything stopping the company from saying the group agreed to the LOU, and the LOU clearly states that those who took the CEWS deal aren't laid off? What recourse would anyone have I wonder, the language in the CBA is pretty clear. This isn't a recall if you're not laid off... Grieve it I guess.

It will be a mess. Honor seniority and the junior group pipes up about this situation. Don't honor seniority, expect bloodthirsty senior guys to just lose their shit when they're 3-4 years away from retirement. :cry:
...and you seem to revel in the possibility that this is what happens....

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

Jean-Luc Monette wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:31 pm
FL320 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:12 pm You’re right that’s what I heard too. From a company perspective it would be more efficient and economic to issue a schedule to the A321 pilots since no pilot is actually laid off. Someone from the union told me that there is no way it will happen, return to active status will be by seniority (and full initials on the A321 will be paid by the company-ie for A310 guys)... A grey area I agree and I wonder how the union will handle this.

Not in the slightest. But it also wouldn't surprise me during unprecedented times. The last thing anyone needs right now is division.

jetpilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetpilot »

GATRKGA wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:15 pm

Not in the slightest. But it also wouldn't surprise me during unprecedented times. The last thing anyone needs right now is division.

It s gray only for you already the airline say it loud it is seniority recall possible that the recall happen together so the full ppc will fly later and the Already typed will restart faster.

Your number of 200 pilots it not correct for July ( it all) there is a cargo rumour that can change many things.

stay positive!

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Your number of 200 pilots it not correct for July ( it all) there is a cargo rumour that can change many things.
Let’s see what they will say tomorrow but it’s about time to give more infos about a concrete course of action (like all other airlines do). I personally think that talking half an hour about the CEWS and responding to all these questions about it -especially when it’s been clearly explained before - is not the best use of this communication.
I understand we are not laid off so we are still paying union dues: I would love to get more communication (so we don’t hear all kind of rumors); especially when you read the last email: the last thing anyone needs right now is division.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

jetpilot wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:56 am

It s gray only for you already the airline say it loud it is seniority recall possible that the recall happen together so the full ppc will fly later and the Already typed will restart faster.

stay positive!
Say again, but this time..... what? :rolleyes:

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

BTD wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:37 am
jetpilot wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:56 am

stay positive!
Say again, but this time..... what? :rolleyes:
Yes - sorry what?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

If there is a possibility of TS resuming some flying and some question of which TS pilots will be doing that flying, does that not deserve its own thread topic?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Kapitanov
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Kapitanov »

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2020/06/02/ ... ec-transat

In french, but basically saying that from three sources close to the matter, Air Canada wants the government to block the deal... Thoughts?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Here's the translation...
After raising the stakes to buy Transat, Air Canada would ultimately like the federal government to prevent it from swallowing its competitor.

The COVID-19 pandemic is likely to derail the acquisition of Transat. According to three sources informed of the behind-the-scenes discussions, Air Canada would like Ottawa to intervene to block the transaction. A transaction for which the carrier has nevertheless fought.

Last August, Air Canada increased its offer to buy from $ 13 per share to $ 18. The company was ready to raise $ 720 million to get its hands on the Quebec flagship. To date, the transaction remains subject to the green light from Transport Canada, whose decision is pending.

The current crisis has clouded the outlook and would make the acquisition unnecessary for the national carrier. "Air Canada made it clear to the federal government," said an informed source of the negotiations.

Lobbying
Since the start of the pandemic, Air Canada's CEO, Calin Rovinescu, and his teams have worked hard with Ottawa. According to the federal lobbyists registry, they reported no fewer than 25 communications with elected officials and public servants.

As of March 18, Calin Rovinescu had direct access to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to discuss issues related to "industry, taxes and finance and transportation". The following day, the company also discussed it with the Minister of Finance, Bill Morneau.

On April 23, Transport Minister Marc Garneau also met with Air Canada. Four days later, it was the turn of the Minister of Economic Development, Navdeep Bains, to accept a call. Finally, on March 28, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland also spoke with representatives of the carrier according to public records.

Worried investors
Since January 1, Transat's stock has collapsed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, dropping from $ 16.19 to $ 5.88 at its March low. This fall of 64% shows according to several analysts that investors have thrown in the towel.

Air Canada refuses for the moment to clarify its intentions. "Regarding Transat, as we mentioned during the unveiling of our financial results for the first quarter of 2020 on May 4, the regulatory assessment process is ongoing and we have no update to provide at this stage. "said a spokesperson by email.

A federal government decision on the transaction is expected soon. The Ministère des Transports did not immediately respond to questions from TVA Nouvelles.

jetpilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetpilot »

Let's say that TVA new is not a reliable source but at this point anything is possible I heard that Ac is not happy with the gouvernement deal and possibly it goes to Technical bankruptcy to be release of the Transat deal ....

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

"Let's say..."

Is TVA not reliable? I'm not familiar with the outlet, but it seems like it's reporting what a lot of people might be thinking... apart from the lobbyist record, they have "an informed source close to the matter."

Return to “Air Transat”