AC and TRZ Agree to Terminate Arrangement

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Updated Purchase Price at $5 per share

Post by Air.Field »

Thorjones wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:35 pm Posting this in hopes of making this thread's first post on the 69th page

Nice.

Edit: Aww damn it
mbav8r wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:37 pm I’ll try
Edit: dang it!
This is how it's done ladies 8)
---------- ADS -----------

727driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 727driver »

Saying Transat’s aircraft Is part of the brand is like saying the logistics division of Walmart is part of its brand. The Transat brand is all about the destination and price and has very little to do about the seat you sit in to get you there. Economies of scale will determine what and how much of the transport division of Transat survives. People don’t care about the colour of the tail of the aircraft they are flying to get to their vacation. The use of WestJet and Canjet narrow bodies by Transat proved that theory. Red, blue, black, leaf, star do you really think the majority of passengers care? Safety, reliability, trust, comfort, service and value is what counts and is the brand, not paint or uniforms. IMHO

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

727driver wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:19 pm Saying Transat’s aircraft Is part of the brand is like saying the logistics division of Walmart is part of its brand. The Transat brand is all about the destination and price and has very little to do about the seat you sit in to get you there. Economies of scale will determine what and how much of the transport division of Transat survives. People don’t care about the colour of the tail of the aircraft they are flying to get to their vacation. The use of WestJet and Canjet narrow bodies by Transat proved that theory. Red, blue, black, leaf, star do you really think the majority of passengers care? Safety, reliability, trust, comfort, service and value is what counts and is the brand, not paint or uniforms. IMHO

Surveys have show that Air Transat is the most recognized name in the whole group. People will not all of a sudden go book on AC if all the TS outlets are gone. AC admitted that the TS brand does better than AC Vacations.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

What is the wording on the percentage of Transat flying conducted by Air Transat in your scope?

As was pointed out also, a not insignificant part of Transat AT flying was done by other airlines, not Air Transat... Westjet, Canjet, German wet leases, TFWs, etc... how does that work?

I'm also curious, surveys say Transat is the most recognized brand? Where? In Quebec? Which surveys are those? Most people in the rest of Canada, even France, don't know what Air Transat is when they look to make travel plans.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

altiplano wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:01 am
Fanblade wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:46 am
FL320 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:28 am I know it will please some of you here but my thoughts are for our colleagues (pilots) that are about to lose their job -again!- before Christmas; thanks to Air Canada (my own conclusion). Our domestic flights were more than 75% full...how can AT justify the removal of the domestic flying if it’s not an AC’s request? (No need to thank us for the extra job for your group, merry Christmas)
It doesn’t please me that there might be more furloughs.

But Rudder is correct. Corporate is making pragmatic decisions. Competing with yourself makes no sense. When your losing 550M a month combined? They have no choice.

Still it sucks. My condolences. The same as to the AC furloughs.
Has there been an announcement on this?
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5768318

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

altiplano wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:45 am What is the wording on the percentage of Transat flying conducted by Air Transat in your scope?

As was pointed out also, a not insignificant part of Transat AT flying was done by other airlines, not Air Transat... Westjet, Canjet, German wet leases, TFWs, etc... how does that work?

I'm also curious, surveys say Transat is the most recognized brand? Where? In Quebec? Which surveys are those? Most people in the rest of Canada, even France, don't know what Air Transat is when they look to make travel plans.
If i remember correctly scope came in 2010, 2015 a no-layoff clause was negotiated if they had wet-leases. The scope has always been respected when they had the wet leases, so no need to get into the language details. Now that we have a very small volume of flights they might be flirting with the threshold but I don't have the numbers.

I said most recognized brand in the group, as in the TS group. Air Transat, of all the business units in the TS group is what people mostly know. How do you know what our customers recognize, or Canadians for that matter? This info is from our management, I didn't dig into the survey details, nor do I care to do so.

TS has business units in Europe selling directly to Europeans, Air Transat is very well know in markets they have been serving for years.

Anyways, got my second layoff notice of 2020 along with about 120 other Air Transat colleagues so I'm going to stay away from this place for a while. See you on the other side of this mess.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:46 am
altiplano wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:45 am What is the wording on the percentage of Transat flying conducted by Air Transat in your scope?

If i remember correctly scope came in 2010, 2015 a no-layoff clause was negotiated if they had wet-leases. The scope has always been respected when they had the wet leases, so no need to get into the language details. Now that we have a very small volume of flights they might be flirting with the threshold but I don't have the numbers.

I said most recognized brand in the group, as in the TS group. Air Transat, of all the business units in the TS group is what people mostly know. How do you know what our customers recognize, or Canadians for that matter? This info is from our management, I didn't dig into the survey details, nor do I care to do so.

TS has business units in Europe selling directly to Europeans, Air Transat is very well know in markets they have been serving for years.

Anyways, got my second layoff notice of 2020 along with about 120 other Air Transat colleagues so I'm going to stay away from this place for a while. See you on the other side of this mess.
I misunderstood what you meant with "group", I thought you meant travel/vacation carriers in general. I think most people think they are flying Air Transat when they book with Transat.
Why would they think to recognize it is another outfit than the one they booked on?

Sorry to hear about your notice. Indeed, what a mess this is...

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Sorry to hear...cews or furlough?

tintin42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tintin42 »

JoeyBarton wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 am

We can choose which one we take.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

JoeyBarton wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 am

100 pilots back on CEWS (cews @ 573$ gross per week until dec 19th for now).
(Altiplano: I think we can agree that AC will be a pretty good deal for AT’s remaining employees)

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Very sorry to hear that about you and your colleagues TFTMB. Spring. This spring things will start to turn the corner.

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

EU approval delayed until January 8th.

https://www.reuters.com/article/transat ... SL1N2HS1KB

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

Another delay in the EU decision...

Wondering what kinds of concessions have been offered...

Air Canada seeks to address EU concerns on Transat purchase

Reuters - Mise à jour : il y a 5 heures
BRUSSELS, Nov 26 (Reuters) - Air Canada has offered concessions related to its proposed acquisition of Canadian tour operator Transat to address EU antitrust concerns, a European Commission filing showed on Thursday.

The Commission, which oversees competition policy in the 27-nation European Union, said the commitments had been submitted on Nov. 25. As a result it, it has extended the deadline for its decision by three weeks to Jan. 29.

The Commission opened an investigation in May on concerns that the deal could push up prices and reduce choice for flights between Europe and Canada.

Air Canada last month cut its offer price for Transat by nearly 75% to about C$188.7 million ($145.13 million) because of the COVID-19 impact on travel demand. ($1 = 1.3002 Canadian dollars) (Reporting by Philip Blenkinsop, editing by Marine Strauss)

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

FL320 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:22 pm 100 pilots back on CEWS (cews @ 573$ gross per week until dec 19th for now).
Sorry to hear that. I remember they started hiring last fall(if I remember correctly). How many did they end up hiring before Covid hit the industry?

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

Sorry to hear that. I remember they started hiring last fall(if I remember correctly). How many did they end up hiring before Covid hit the industry?
Not sure how many they hired last fall... However what i do know is that the last guy on the seniority list (except for a few management ppl who remain in place) is showing a DOH in may 1999... That was last century!!! :-| :cry: :shock:

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aerodude »

Looks like someone else had a competing bid for TRZ but the board didnt think it was "superior" than AC.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I’ve been told the shareholders have voted in favour of the AC deal.

Anyone else heard the same?

columbia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by columbia »

Localizer wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:02 am I’ve been told the shareholders have voted in favour of the AC deal.

Anyone else heard the same?
Approved, 91%

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Wow 91% is a clear message. So AC will make the required remedies and get the deal done at this point.

airboy1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airboy1 »

Awesome news 8) 8) 8)

Return to “Air Transat”