AC and TRZ Agree to Terminate Arrangement

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by altiplano »

1720D5F6-A315-4521-BEFC-FA20F87748DD.jpeg
1720D5F6-A315-4521-BEFC-FA20F87748DD.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3085 times
---------- ADS -----------

milhouse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by milhouse »

altiplano wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:39 pm 1720D5F6-A315-4521-BEFC-FA20F87748DD.jpeg
Le Journal de Montreal is a tabloid and TVA is a joke. They are both owned by Quebecor which is owned by PKP, a bloc separatist who took a full page ad on le devoir against the deal before the shareholder vote took place last year.

What they are reporting could be true, i have no idea, but as far as reliable sources go, these 2 are at the very bottom of the list.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

TVA must be pretty certain of their sources because this article seems to have driven the stock price down 7% at midday and closing 4% shaving over 10 million of TRZs market cap.

I think TC will have to stay something in the next couple weeks and it wouldn’t surprise me to see them overwhelmingly in favour of a 0 concession merge as Trudeaus special piggy bank starts to run dry.

It is certainly too soon to start dancing on the grave of this deal but I am starting to hear the music.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

AC is playing chess with the government and AT; and they are playing very well. The media is just the chess board and their sources are just AC pawns. They will get AT and get rid of a competitor for peanuts :wink:

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

FL320 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:00 pm AC is playing chess with the government and AT and they are playing very well. Media is just the chess board and their sources are just AC pawns. They will get AT and remove a competitor for peanuts :wink:
The MP for Papineau will continue to fight hard for Quebec jobs and will offer no apologies.

The Canadian taxpayers of course will foot the bill.

AT will be just fine.

As always.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

We all believe whatever it is that makes us sleep better it seems.

The market is confident in AC at least, they just pulled in $1.6 billion of recapitalisation in the matter of a few days...

TRZ on the other hand the market isn't so sure on yet...

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

altiplano wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:31 pm We all believe whatever it is that makes us sleep better it seems.

The market is confident in AC at least, they just pulled in $1.6 billion of recapitalisation in the matter of a few days...

The MP for Papineau will continue to fight hard for Quebec jobs.

If you think AT will not be taken care of at the Canadian taxpayer's expence I will kindly disagree.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

We all believe whatever it is that makes us sleep better it seems.

I don’t wait for AC or AT to sleep well. Deal or no deal doesn’t matter to me; I love the job but it’s more like a hobby as I have reached financial freedom. Market maybe be confident in AC not in AT I personally couldn’t care less :wink:

Last edited by FL320 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

They might be taken care of. I hope so.

But sinking the big ship, the real golden goose, for guppy optics isn't the play and that's what this thread is about. There is no growth or retention of Quebec jobs here in allowing the merger. The will be more jobs lost if the merger goes through vs. separate entities retained.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

altiplano wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:47 pm They might be taken care of. I hope so.

But sinking the big ship, the real golden goose, for guppy optics isn't the play and that's what this thread is about. There is no growth or retention of Quebec jobs here in allowing the merger. The will be more jobs lost if the merger goes through vs. separate entities retained.

He will offer no apologies for his dogged efforts to save Quebec jobs.

AT will be just fine.

As always.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

FL320 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:44 pm I don’t wait for AC or AT to sleep well. Deal or no deal doesn’t matter to me; I love the job but it’s more like a hobby as I have reached financial freedom. Market maybe be confident in AC not in AT I personally couldn’t care less :wink:
You sure cared like 25 pages ago or something when I said the same thing... market questioning the certainty of the deal.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're financially free of it all whatever comes.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

telex wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:50 pm
altiplano wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:47 pm They might be taken care of. I hope so.

AT will be just fine.

As always.
You're repeating yourself...

So I guess I'll say it again.

There is no 1+1=2 here... more like 1+1=1, or even 1+1=<1...

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

altiplano wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:52 pm

AT will be just fine.

As always.

I am repeating myself.

Maybe if I say it enough the message will be hammered home.

If you think Quebec jobs will be lost under the leadership of the MP for Papineau I will kindly disagree.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

telex wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:56 pm

AT will be just fine.

As always.

I am repeating myself.

If you think Quebec jobs will be lost under the leadership of the MP for Papineau I will kindly disagree.
Jobs may be saved but that doesn't mean that major concessions from labour is off the table.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

telex wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:56 pm

AT will be just fine.

As always.

I am repeating myself.

Is it really about jobs? Two Quebec companies merge. What is the sum of AC/Transat Quebec jobs, pre versus post merger? I realize Covid made this nearly impossible to ascertain. However I am pretty confident there will be more Quebec jobs if a Transat is kept separate.

That said I would caution reading much into this as far as intent on AC’s part goes. It could all be a “strategic leak” to bring pressure to bare on the Government/Transat and its shareholders. Remember, even if AC still wants Transat, they will not pass on this opportunity to possibly get it for less.

IOW merger or not, a game of chicken was virtually guaranteed, when Covid trashed the industry. It is starting as we speak and looks like the finish line is September 27.

Nothing focuses the mind like a hanging in the morning.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

Who to believe now?

Air Canada Says Transat Acquisition Not on Hold

source : https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/airline ... jH6Wsp9Jhs

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

As much as a deeply want this deal to go away with every fibre of my being. I have to say the author of this article doesn’t seem to know what he is talking about and could likely be disregarded,
“ The acquisition of Montreal-based Transat, a regional carrier, was seen as a way for Air Canada to extend its domestic network and capture more flights out of regional hubs.”

All AC will continue to say is that the regulatory process is ongoing, if it can be proven that AC intentionally soured the deal by lobbying the government I’m sure it would all end up in a long and expensive lawsuit. Time will tell.

milhouse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by milhouse »

All these articles claiming AC wants to pull out are all actually just quoting the TVA article. Which is likely garbage. If a source actually did know that AC asked the government to block the deal, they would have to be really high up at either AC or TC. Why on earth would someone in that position decide to go to the media with this, and especially why on earth would they choose TVA, the least reputable news source in Quebec? TVA has for years made shit up under the cover of "sources that cannot be named" in order to avoid litigation once it becomes clear what they printed was bullshit designed to advance PKPs agenda.

I personally do not think this deal will go through, but I don't think anyone should be attaching any weight to the 3 mysterious "sources" from TVA. Until someone else reports it (that isn't citing the TVA article) this is a non story.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

But sinking the big ship, the real golden goose, for guppy optics isn't the play and that's what this thread is about.
Watch the "golden goose" talk .. We may cringe if we knew how much the "golden goose" really cost taxpayers since inception.

Return to “Air Transat”