Approach ban

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Approach ban

Post by rxl »

bcflyer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:49 am 24L YUL. AC A319/320/321 limited to 1800 RVR.
To be honest I’ve never been able to figure out how airlines get authorization to go below the published visibility. If the designers of the approach say you need 2600RVR to do the approach safely, why would the regulating body say “naw, we’ll let certain guys go lower than that”? Perfect example of it biting people in the ass: AC in YHZ. Without the ops spec that accident doesn’t happen.
Maybe because the charted approach limits are set for the lowest common denominator in terms of equipment and experience. Someone in a 60 year old 172 with old avionics and flight instruments and a brand new PPL and IFR rating could potentially be flying the approach to limits on a gusty day. Don’t OPS Specs recognize that airlines generally have better equipment, training, operational control and more experience? ... Or maybe I should say used to have more experience.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

FICU wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:06 pm I think an RNAV LPV is still considered a "non precision" approach so the ILS CAT1 approach ban doesn't apply to it.
Bingo!

Weird but true. LPV is a non precision IAP, so 50% of advisory vis, whereas an ILS is a precision approach and limited by %75 of advisory vis.

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

Bingo!

Weird but true. LPV is a non precision IAP, so 50% of advisory vis, whereas an ILS is a precision approach and limited by %75 of advisory vis.
Unless the runway has centreline lighting, then 50% advisory vis as well for the ILS. But you’re right, without it, it’s 75%.

Return to “Air Transat”