Quarantine will kill airlines and tourism

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Quarantine will kill airlines and tourism

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52774854
People arriving in the UK must self-isolate for 14 days from 8 June to help slow the spread of coronavirus, the government has said.
Measures such as these will prevent leisure and business travel. Only people travelling to stay for good are likely to travel under such restrictions.

I very seriously doubt that Air Transat Would resume flights to the UK while such restriction are in place. Not to mention that it will kill the British tourism industry.
---------- ADS -----------

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Quarantine will kill airlines and tourism

Post by goldeneagle »

The same restriction exists for those coming into Canada as well. Not likely to see the german tourists arriving to spend 14 days in isolation before they jump in that rental motorhome and head off to Jasper from Vancouver.

The entire tourism industry is pivoting to try attract locals for the 'staycation'. Wife and i have discussed this on numerous occaisions. The German tourists will not be arriving to fill the roads with those rental motor homes. BC Parks are only open to residents this summer. If we ever wanted to tour our back yard without hordes of tourists, this will be the summer to do it. The real question left, do we take the motorhome or do we take the car and stay in hotels ? The hotels and restaurants need our business badly this year, so we are hedging towards taking the car.

And therein lies the crux for airlines. I dont see the likes of Transat or Sunwing making the pivot to run Vancouver to Jasper this year, but, that's where a lot of the local travel dollars are headed over the next 4 to 6 months.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:39 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52774854
People arriving in the UK must self-isolate for 14 days from 8 June to help slow the spread of coronavirus, the government has said.
Measures such as these will prevent leisure and business travel. Only people travelling to stay for good are likely to travel under such restrictions.

I very seriously doubt that Air Transat Would resume flights to the UK while such restriction are in place. Not to mention that it will kill the British tourism industry.
Theresa Tam has also made comments that quarantine will remain part of Canada’s Covid strategy going forward. So you go to Mexico for two weeks? Two more weeks in quarantine when you return.

You go to a place like the UK. Two weeks of quarantine when you arrive there. Two weeks when you return.

The US will probably follow suit. Would you let Canadians not have to quarantine in the US but Americans have to quarantine when they arrive here?

No one is going on vacation outside our boarders with rules in place like this. No one is travelling for business unless they absolutely must.

There is a high probability, even though no one is really saying it yet, that this winter is as much a write off as this summer.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

It's not just that. Let's say you do end up at a travel destination. Then your hotel might not serve breakfast, the grocery stores might have reduced hours (WHY? How does that help??), ubers might not be driving, restaurants offering take out only (if they are open at all), ... It doesn't really make for a pleasant travel experience.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

International flight crews are already getting a taste of what is like to be locked up in a hotel (and in some cases a hotel room).

Not very appealing.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Is the premise of this thread that Boris Johnson should abandon his plans to protect the health of the British people to suit the pockets of Canadian pilots? If so, that's ambitious even by AvCanada standards.
I very seriously doubt that Air Transat Would resume flights to the UK while such restriction are in place.
We made it through the blitz; I'm confident we'll survive without Air Transat.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

We made it through the blitz; I'm confident we'll survive without Air Transat.
There's a troll under that bridge!

I agree with Brian Lilley, it's time for Canada to get a second opinion.

"Tam and the Public Health Agency of Canada should have been preparing Canada for a pandemic but were focused on anything but. How else do you explain that the agency spent more than $5.6 million on climate change storytelling-type projects last year and only $3 million on funding the National Emergency Strategic Stockpile?"

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... bad-advice

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

How is Dr. Tam responsible for a British requirement for quarantine, about which the original poster is complaining?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

The UK is only half the problem, I haven’t seen Canada lift the requirement.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Dr. Tam should be fired - he's been too inconsistent.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

They should hire one of the laid off pilots from avcanada, they know everything. At least 1000 mpic though, and an aviation diploma, we're talking about people's lives here.

:smt060 :smt109 :smt116

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

'97 Tercel wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:13 pm Dr. Tam should be fired - he's been too inconsistent.
I'm not sure your opinion of Dr. Tam counts for much if you haven't yet worked out she's a woman:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theresa_Tam

I do hope that if she has a son she calls him Tim.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Localizer wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 pm The UK is only half the problem, I haven’t seen Canada lift the requirement.
Canada implemented the measure at the height of the crisis and it was expected to be withdrawn. The UK announced it would be in force this summer. That is the difference.

Here is IATA's statement:

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2020-05-13-03/

And Alexandre de Juniac"s statement :

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/speec ... -05-13-01/

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

They should hire one of the laid off pilots from avcanada, they know everything. At least 1000 mpic though, and an aviation diploma, we're talking about people's lives here.
Common sense and critical thinking don’t require a university education. (Or 1000 mpic)

8)

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Localizer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:17 am
Common sense and critical thinking don’t require a university education. (Or 1000 mpic)

8)
Terrific, I need 8 medicals done as soon as your office opens.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Terrific, I need 8 medicals done as soon as your office opens.
Ok .. but I gotta warn you .. proctology is my specialty!

:rolleyes:

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Ask the Doctor to use two fingers .
That way you can get a second opinion , right away :)

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

2R wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:11 am Ask the Doctor to use two fingers .
That way you can get a second opinion , right away :)

Or....ask the Doctor while he is up in there, to check and see if he can find your dignity :-)

Gravity always wins
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... quarantine

This measure will push BA and possibly RyanAir and EazyJet over the edge. No airline can be expected to fly under such conditions and survive,

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:42 am https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... quarantine

This measure will push BA and possibly RyanAir and EazyJet over the edge. No airline can be expected to fly under such conditions and survive,
I doubt that you'll see eloquent elegies and profuse tears for Mo'L and Ryan Air...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!

Return to “Air Transat”